Photographing dollhouses

livingvicariously

If the macro setting isn't focusing well enough, you can buy magnifying filters for DSLR cameras. I have a set and they have come in handy. The other things is lighting the room so it doesn't cast harsh shadows. Some people I know use a ring flash. I just make the RL room bright, position the house so the ambient light is decent, and shine lamps through the dollhouse windows. It's not ideal, but the front flash alone is not very good.

• Like 1

I use a macro lens, hood on, set the camera on a tripod so you don't get motion. I also have a separate flash that I use, the pop up flash is not good

Of course, that camera was forgotten at my mom's place so I just used my point and shoot for the pics I posted in the gallery! LOLLOLLOL

Never use flash. My first dollhouse was Miss Frobisher's Cottage and I didn't even know what the macro setting was. Frankly, about the only time I use macro now is when I take pictures of miniatures for my store website, and even then, usually just for the small accessory sized pieces.

Sometimes I'd take my dollhouses outside to photograph them, but it's a pain in the neck so I prefer to avoid it if possible.

The only artificial lighting I ever used was a work lamp that held a 200 watt bulb, and 2 goose neck desk lamps that held 60 watt bulbs. To get a nice sunlight streaming in through the window effect, hold a goose neck desk lamp with a 60 watt bulb right against the window, no more than a half an inch or so away.

This photo was taken just using that 60 watt bulb.

This one was taken in my dining room, on a sunny afternoon, with the 60 watt bulb propped up against the dollhouse window.

You just need to spend some time playing with lights and your camera till you get the hang of it. Don't be in a hurry to get it done.

Another tip is to try and use what they call natural light or daylight bulbs. An ordinary incandescent bulb will cast a yellowish light, though sometimes you want that to set a mood. Most of my interiors photos were taken using regular incandescent bulbs and looked pretty good.

• Like 1

I love to take pictures when the sun is slanting through the windows. Theres a certain time of day in my work room...late in the afternoon,but not quite twilight when the sun hits my Beacon Hill just right to cast the most wonderful natural lights and shadows. Since I already have 15 billion pictures of that house and don't need anymore, I still go and sit and watch the light move across the floors. Ya, Im weird that way lol. I just find it very poetic after all that hard work creating this little world, to just watch the light move across rooms that wouldn't exist if I hadn't created them. Power trip? MAYBE lol.

If you can manage it, the pictures taken outside seem to be the best, and that is whats usually recommended.

Forgot to mention that I think finding interesting angles and taking quality, creative pictures of your houses and minis that are interesting to look at it, for you to enjoy, and for sharing with others can become another really cool facet of this hobby. Its definitely worth practicing and pursuing and WE LOVE PICTURES, whether they are professional looking or not...its like anything else, it takes practice and experimentation.

• Like 1

I've used bushes, shrubs, flower bed, middle of the yard, under trees with the background out of focus on purpose. I've also set up my project on the bench on my deck with sheets over the back and seat to get the natural outdoor light without using natural background.

When I do it inside, I'm always disappointed with the results. Indoors I've used spot lights and overhead lights and all the rest of that sort of thing but haven't cared much for the results.

One thing that has worked sometimes is I have laid a flashlight on the edge of a house (behind the side I'm shooting) for the perception of a sunny day outside the building. I've seen folks use posters behind their build and thought it worked well. Those could be used inside or outside.

If you are not using scenery (natural or otherwise) you might want to use a solid color sheet that goes under and behind so your project's image and theme isn't distracted by other things in the room/area.

I have done darkened room photos with an extended shutter speed but you need a tripod to keep it steady enough. Interesting if you have your house electrified because it shows them off nicely. It's a tough shoot to make it work right.

Good luck.

Is there an easy way to create a blurry background effect and crisp foreground for the dollhouse on a cheap point-and-shoot digital camera? I have a cheap Nikon and it does have a few settings but I don't own any fancy lenses or anything. I always admire the dreamy photos of the house or a detail in a room in the foreground with a soft blurred background.

I'm a total novice so I don't have any technical expertise to share, but I have found that if I take a LOT of pictures, playing with the light and camera angle, there's usually one shot that stands out, sometimes amazingly.

Riesz, to get the background out of focus, you have to use a manual setting or aperture priority mode and change the aperture (or f-stop). Aperture is the size of the hole inside the camera that lets light in. A tiny aperture will actually make the background image more clear. A larger aperture will allow in more light and more light will blur and distort the background. If you can, aim for F1.4 or F2, or the smallest number your camera allows.

I found a pretty good blog explaining this here http://eatpraytri.com/2013/05/29/snap-to-it-aperture-explained-hopefully/.

Also, definitely use a tripod. It will help keep the image crisp and allow you to make tiny changes without losing your focal settings.