Fimo Clay - is any of it transparent / translucent?

CheckMouse

I have not yet worked with Fimo clay, though I have some on hand and keep planning to use it! I know there are many different types, and things to be done with the stuff and I got to wondering -- is any of it transparent, or at least translucent, when baked / fired?

CJ~ I highly encourage you to try polymer clay art. You will surprise yourself at how easy it is and how fun. I don't recommend using your food oven. Little table top ovens are cheap at garage sales. Mine was $1. That being said......they make transluscent clay but I don't know how it looks when baked. People use it to blend with colors for a more transluscent color so I bet it comes out more clear than solid. It works for skin tones in doll making.

• Like 1

CJ... there is liquid sculpy clay which when baked will be clear (used for soups, sauces, etc). As far as actual clay that will be clear... I have not found any. There is translucent clay that as Morgan stated is mostly used to mix with other clay (white mixed with purple makes great grapes)... if you bake the white by itself... you can come up with a "frosted" glass sort of look... but not clear... hope that helps.

It all depends on how you want it to appear, the translucent fimo I have around works great in say for an example meat pies etc as small streaks of clear liquid/gel but to have it look like clear liquid you'll get best effect if using the liquid fimo. It is not so much liquid as it is a gel kind that works perfect either as is as a clear yet needs to be baked. It can be tinted or use in mixing other fimo clays in to make cream or jello toppings or egg yolks in bowls etc.

Hugs and good luck

I want to make a ghost :yikes: I would like it to be almost visible, but sort of transparent - hard to focus on. Is that doable? Got any pictures of your ghosts, Holly?

CJ, This isn't exactly what you want,and you won't believe me,but I ran across the following yesterday while looking online at dollhouse photos. I didn't think I'd find it again so fast,but got lucky. The title is "Adding A Ghost To Your Home",April 2,2009. It's not a doll or figure,but uses the computer to create/print a transparent image to put in the dollhouse window. I don't know from links,but I Googled this and got it: georgetheminiguy.blogspot.com/2009_04_01archive.html Scroll down the page,it's at the end. At the very least,someone else may need it one day.

Someone with lots of electronic savvy and a hefty budget did a dh ghost with a holographic projector, I seem to remember (Small Stuff Digest, maybe?).

I was looking into doing it that way, but it's a bit (a big bit!) out of my price range.

Translucent clay tends to go darker when baked. I rarely make anything that isn't half translucent clay. Just because solid colors tend to b too...well, solid looking. I make mostly candles so use a lot of translucent. For a ghost I would recommend playing around with mixes of translucent plus small amount of white. They also make glow in the dark clay which would b fun to experiment with for a ghost!

• Like 1

CJ, This isn't exactly what you want,and you won't believe me,but I ran across the following yesterday while looking online at dollhouse photos. I didn't think I'd find it again so fast,but got lucky. The title is "Adding A Ghost To Your Home",April 2,2009. It's not a doll or figure,but uses the computer to create/print a transparent image to put in the dollhouse window. I don't know from links,but I Googled this and got it: georgetheminiguy.blogspot.com/2009_04_01archive.html Scroll down the page,it's at the end. At the very least,someone else may need it one day.

Thank you, Kat! I can work with a computer easier than with clay.

Just saw your post, Karin. I like the idea of glow-in-the-dark!

Thank you so much, everybody! Got lots of ideas to work with now :) One ghost, coming right up :batman:

• Like 1

CJ....

I used the glow in the dark clay to make nearly headless Nick for my niece's Harry Potter House... here is a picture she took (all decked out for Christmas) ... he looks pretty cool in the dark...

gallery_6564_5385_72426.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you; I figured it would glow green; I wonder if there are any glow-in-the-dark products that glow in other colors?

I got some glow-in-the-dark clay moonfaces a few years ago in a swap. The lady gave them a watered down brown acrylic wash over the clay and they seem to glow more amber than green. Might be worth a try.

• Like 1