Need suggestions for coals

GirlPiper

Fiddled around and made a charcoal brazier last night, and hope someone has an idea of what to use for "coals."

I thought about beads, or scraps of skinny sticks painted, but am open to better solutions.

Yeah I think a visit to your local aquarium or pet store would be the best bet. Click

I also thought of broken glass or ceramic & high gloss paint as Kathie mentioned. Cover the glass with a heavy towel, wear safety glasses/shield & gloves.

An old charcoal filter like Brita or pur - but I think the scale is too small - maybe as a filler?

You might be able to use snow flake stone chip beads (know there are some over on ebay) or perhaps try crushinh artist charcoal crayons (?)

Hugs

For a charcoal grill or hibachi the activated charcoal is great. I also use it to remove funky odors from things. You could also wad a bit of aluminum foil to fit the bottom of your grill, paint it with shiny red nail polish and sprinkle a bit of gray powdered chalk pastel over it wet for the burning coals.

• Like 1

Great ideas here. Yesterday I put together a "cold fire" in my fireplace and used a small amount of real ashes and broken up pieces of burned wood from my RL fireplace. I Spread out some tacky glue and then sprinkled the ashes over it, and glued down the larger pieces. I like the results, a little messy to do, but its pretty realistic looking.

Super ideas--I used the red glitter part, but used barley for the coals--left some of the edge exposed to look like ash, and it worked. (The barley was on the shelf and I didn't need very much.)

Thanks for all the thoughts.

so glad luanne suggested used match heads! as i read through everyone's ideas,i couldn't believe it wasn't thought of first.this is an old mini idea and it works great in a bbq grill made from a gumball machine prize container.very realistic.have fun! kat

holly, i guess i mispoke.i was thinking bbq grill-type charcoal.i guess you mean the bits of real coal such as my grandparents sometimes used in the woodstove they still heated their house with in the 1960s-?

hey holly, just wanted to acknowledge your last note.i'm new 'here',as well as being new to computers period!i use my 24 year old's laptop,so i only get a bit of online time here and there.he's got a secondhand computer he's going to set up for me when time permits.meantime,i have been following u guys for awhile before jumping in.am tickled pink to get to 'talk' to havana holly!! :) hopefully i will learn better web etiquette as i go along and i look fwd to 'meeting' others 'here'.i know there will be things i need help with,and hopefully i'll have some valid input.i have loved dollhouse miniatures most of my 56 years.beside my 2 sons,they are my total obsession! thanx,kat

wow, i looked up your town-extreme southeast border,huh?i am on the extreme southwest border,in grand bay.it's a nice little unincorporated town,(inland,NOT on the waterfront!)my mother was born and raised here.alot of our family lives here-i was the last hold out,due to raising my boys in their mississipi hometown.my older son and i moved over the line here from mississippi last year.rent a trailer on the edge of a big wooded area.lots of nature!!my latest mini project is making little bowls from acorn caps,as my yard is nothing but lovely oaks.i sand them smoooth and paint with nail enamels.my son says they have that 'just right' look of tacky hand made pottery.i say shabby chic!haha

• Like 1

Ooh, you're across the bay on the other side of Mobile County? I aspire one day to get a ceramic cicada from the Walter Anderson pottery in Ocean Springs, MS, to hang beside our front door. As far as the geographical distribution of forum member, you & I are practically neighbors!

holly,just saw your note here.quick answer before i make myself go to bed.i can't believe how popular walter anderson pottery is-have even seen it on antiques roadshow.can't afford anything like that,but i can still appreciate it!oh,and ocean springs shoulda had a dollhouse miniatures store.i mean,they are known as an artist town and i think our hobby is art! :)