Sewing, my other hobby

otterine

I mentioned working on a holiday party dress, and a couple of you said you were interested in seeing the finished ensemble. I have a sporadically updated sewing blog attached to my miniatures blog. Not enough hours in each day to support both hobbies, and miniatures have won out for the most part in the past few years. You can see the new dress here: http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog3.php :)

The dress is lovely! I love the color combo and the straps. It is wonderful when you can wear a garment that no one else in the world has to wear. A joy of sewing. I would have loved to have my grandmother's Singer - my sis-n-law grabbed it. LOL

Great job! It really is a lovely dress and the zip looks perfect and gorgeous fabric. I was going to suggest an invisible zipper foot, which cost me $24 and has been an absolute godsend (I've never been good at putting in zips until now) but then you may not be able to get one for an older machine. Still, might be worth investigating.

Thank you!!! :D I was going to look for an invisible zipper foot and then I ran into the tutorial on using the regular one. If I really get into the invisible zippers, maybe I'll still look for one. :)

Its just beautiful Brae! I love the use of green and the sash at the waist really adds a festive dressed up look. I can see it with peridot drop earrings:-)

Thank you! I could see it with peridot jewelry, too, if I could only find the necklace and earring set I bought for it. It must be on the lam with your tweezers. :lol:

Thank you! I could see it with peridot jewelry, too, if I could only find the necklace and earring set I bought for it. It must be on the lam with your tweezers. :lol:

Wherever they are, it'll be in the very last place you think to look.

You can ignore posts like that, I reported it & now it's gone.

Thanks, Holly. I should not have even questioned that one - just thought it was a mistake of somesort.

Otterine, peridot is my birthstone. For years I have not had success finding really unique pieces of that stone. But there have been times that I have found lovely pieces. I love that color. Perfect with your dress.

Peridot is also my birthstone. This "lost" set is costume jewelry with fake stones, but I do have two very nice sets with peridot in them. I did find the jewelry...in the jewelry box. What an insane place for it to be. :lol: I had thought I never took it out of its package and had been looking for that instead. :doh: But, those other peridot sets might work better. I'll try them all on. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Brae, that is a gorgeous dress, and such creative use of two lovely fabrics perfectly complemented by the gold straps and the green sash - beautiful! So, how did the Christmas party go?? And your Singer sewchine brings back loving memories of my Mom's - she pretty much clothed me (and very well indeed) all through my childhood with one of those. I have a newer Singer that was Mom's last machine, but it ain't the same as the old one....

P.S.: I also love fabric.com - don't they have the most wonderful fabrics, and so great to be able to shop online for things like that, especially since the closest fabric store to me is a JoAnne's two hours' drive away. Yeah, fabric.com!!

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The dress is lovely! I love the color combo and the straps. It is wonderful when you can wear a garment that no one else in the world has to wear. A joy of sewing. I would have loved to have my grandmother's Singer - my sis-n-law grabbed it. LOL

beautiful work!

I was fortunate to get my mothers singer featherweight. it is probably 70 years old and works like a charm. Years ago my father really wanted to replace it for me. A woman who was a dealer convinced him not to buy me a replacement and to refurbish the featherweight. since it was what I was hoping for anyway I was delighted.