Mini Cross Stitch

Blondie

Karin, I think that Joanne's will let you use the 40% coupon if the lights aren't already on sale... Unless they are specifically mentioned on the coupon as not on sale. I got one of my ott lights with a coupon, but that was a few years ago.

Karin, I hope you got your light, but if you didn't go for it because it is 100% worth it! There are at least 4 of them in our house; I use one for minis, another for needlework; my mother uses hers for cross-stitch, and my father for reading. Beautiful clear light with no heat!

Which ones of the Ott lights do you recommend for doing seated hand work like the cross stitch? Do you use a different model for doing minis at a table?

I looked at the Ott website and was promptly overwhelmed with the options. Magnification, various light combos, trays, desk, floor models, YIKES !!!

I have two. One is a rechargeable one. I don't like that one because the charge doesn't last that long. It seems like I am always in the middle of something when it dies. I do like the plug in one. No worries about it going out at any given moment.

Which ones of the Ott lights do you recommend for doing seated hand work like the cross stitch? Do you use a different model for doing minis at a table?

I looked at the Ott website and was promptly overwhelmed with the options. Magnification, various light combos, trays, desk, floor models, YIKES !!!

Selkie, I have the gooseneck style to use for cross-stitch and minis. I have a magnifier clamp, but it just seems to get in my way while changing threads or working with minis. I prefer to use glasses to magnify if I need it.

Here is mine http://www.joann.com/ottlite-high-definition-floor-lamp/4720058.html#start=8

My mother uses this one http://www.joann.com/ottlite-high-definition-lexington-floor-lamp-mocha-pearl/6182331.html#start=11 It's hard to tell from the picture, but the light is adjustable up and down. She does very complicated cross stitch (Diane Allare) with lots of extremely similar colors so she likes to get the light right up close to her work.

Cool! That was fast. I know it's only 10% over the regular coupon, but when you're talking about something as expensive as these that 10% makes a difference.

I have the table top lamp/magnification combo. I like it a lot but I'd like to get one of the floor lamps. Since I'm interested in making rugs for my houses now it would be nice to have it so I can watch tv with DH, and I think using it as lighting for dh photo shoots would be a nice option too, depending on how adjustable the light fixture is.

I never really looked at the floor models before, but that one your mother has is really pretty, Sarah! I guess I always thought they'd be utilitarian.

I bought my Ott light and started using it today. Love it, the light it casts is very gentle on the eyes and yet nice and bright. Also doesn't produce a lot of heat, which is great working in the summer. I chose the table top lamp with the magnifier. For what I needed, this one is perfect, but I can see where down the road a floor lamp would be nice too. Mine is "13w duoflex Magnifier Lamp". I think I remember seeing on the box it was 2x magnification. Sounds like its the same one cheverly has.

Working on a small punchneedle kit for the Christmas house while I wait for the needlepoint to arrive. (What shows in the picture is the underside of the rug)

Debra, I didn't read anything about UV rays, etc. But they look similar.

With punchneedle the design is worked from the back. Ive seen some that look perfect, but mine certainly never do lol. I like what Blondie told us, that the messy ones last longer. Works for me;-)

I finished a little rug last night. Pics in my gallery.

Some designs are harder to keep the backs neat then others. I have yet to keep the back of a Teresa Wentzler design neat. Depending on what I am stitching...depends on how persnickity I am about the back! :bigwink:

Teresa Wentzler is one of my favorites for life sized designs. I've stitched 8 or 9 of hers (that I can remember) over the years. (Did you used to post on her forum back when she was actively designing? Your username has always seemed familiar to me...)

Wow fov that rug is so neat. What an amazing talent you have to stitch so small. I can't wrap my mind around getting so much design and color into such a small carpet, beautiful work.