Mini Cross Stitch

Blondie

I finished this art deco panel today, from Pamela Warner's Miniature Embroidery for the 20th Century Doll's House. I had started it many years ago after finishing the first one (framed in the photo) and just picked it up again a few weeks ago. It's stitched over one on 50-count linen.

post-7-0-51671900-1343258247_thumb.jpg

So here's the weird thing... the two panels are supposed to match. I counted the stitches on the charts and the dimensions are exactly the same. When I made the first panel I made a second frame to go with the second panel, and you can see how far off it is.

post-7-0-03577900-1343258658_thumb.jpg

I thought I would have been smart enough to stitch them on the same fabric to achieve the same dimensions, but looking back on my website from when I finished the first one, I said there that the first panel was stitched on 54-count. So maybe I made a mistake and didn't use the same fabric for both. Even if that's the case, the rectangles should have relative sizes. The new panel is shorter horizontally *and* longer vertically, which just doesn't make sense. I did make a couple of counting mistakes while I was stitching it but nothing this significant!

The only answer I can come up with that one of the fabrics did not have the same stitch count horizontally as vertically, so a "square" is not actually square. (I'm guessing it's the fabric I used on the original panel, because it looks kind of stretched out horizontally compared to the picture in the book.) Very weird, I've never had this happen before. These will not be hanging side by side, so I think I can get away with the two different sizes, but after putting in the work (and squinting all the way through it!), it's kind of disappointing that they don't match. :(

I also recently finished circular a rug and matching pillow from the same book. I'm not sure what the fabric was, I just grabbed it out of the stash drawer. They're all going to go in my Cypress and Fog roombox. I'll post some more pics once I sew up the pillow and get the panel framed.

post-7-0-40298700-1343258414_thumb.jpg post-7-0-91309800-1343258417_thumb.jpg

Beth, to answer your question about making an inch scale design into half scale, you just need to use fabric that has a stitch count that's twice as high. So for example, if the directions say to use 16-count fabric (16 threads to the inch) you would want to use 32-count instead (32 threads to the inch, which is 16 threads to the half inch). Another way is to stitch "over one" instead of "over two." With evenweave or linen fabric, the instructions are often to stitch "over two," meaning that each stitch is two threads wide and two threads high. When you stitch "over one," your stitch is only one thread wide and one thread high, so your overall finished piece will be half the original size. (Does that make any sense at all?!)

Emily, the modern rug is wonderful as are the other panels. :) I can see why you'd be frustrated they don't match.

I finished stitching the Navajo rug today. My total stitching time ended up being 189.5 hours. Whew! This was stitched on 32 ct Joblean in parchment.

Image here: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=81765

This project was based on a contemporary Navajo original weaving that Natalia Frank of Scarlet Sails Miniatures charted for me (image earlier in this album). I made some minor alterations to Natalia's chart for my final rug, including choosing my own coloration to go with the furnishings and décor I had in mind for its future home.

Up next is binding and finishing, which should take a few more hours. I don't usually count finishing time since it takes whatever it takes. This rug is destined for the Brownstone (at this moment), but I will take some setup shots once I have it completely finished.

More on my blog including a photo of the original weaving: http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/navajo-rug-stitching-completed

Brae, it looks awesome! I've never kept track of the hours something like this takes me but maybe I should, it would probably be a mind-boggling number. :ohmy:

Is the tan part in the center of the design stitched, or is that the fabric showing through?

Too late for this one but I learned a neat trick for finishing off rectangular rugs that have solid borders like yours does. You leave the third to last row unstitched until the end, and then turn under the cut edges of the fabric and stitch through them for that final row, to sew them down.

Thank you! It is all stitched, even the part in the middle. :)

That is a good tip, though I think leaving an empty row would probably throw me off somewhere along the line. :lol: For finishing this particular rug, I plan to turn under the edges and stitch in black all the way around, then iron on some muslin on the back to seal in the stitches.

Emily, I had forgotten about those Mucha panels in her book! I think I foresee another mini stitching project coming up; I've been doing a lot of 1:1 knitting & crocheting to use up all the worsted I have leftover from varioous thrift store treasure finds.

Emily, I think that the reason for the panels being different dimensions is that the silk mesh is not exactly square in thread count. In other words, If you run the stitches in one direction, you get a short fat rectangle...Turn it half way around so that you are stitching at right angles to the first one, you will get a long narrow rectangle....I am guessing that may be what happened to you. The rectangles don't appear to be in a different gauge. The two cover aproximately the same area, just different dimensions. Always make sure to do the stitching on matching pieces with the grain of the mesh going the same way.Notice that the halo around the head is not round on either. The one on the left is longer up and down the one on the right is longer across.

I taught needlepoint for a number of years and that is one of the first things that I taught in classes. Always check the direction of the canvas. Even on larger scales it is just slightly off.

I used linen, not silk mesh. But yeah, that has to be the reason, there's no other explanation. I've been doing cross stitch for ~20 years (gah, that makes me feel old!) and this is the first time I've ever encountered this problem. I wonder if this type of fabric (Nina) is always this bad or if the piece I have is particularly messed up.

Oh Emily! Linen is even worse. Always remember to put a line somewhere on the fabric that you are going to use to remind yourself what is top and bottom of the fabric I usually try to keep the up and down with the selvage edge. That is usually the taller way of the stitch.

I just bought some linen from an online store about a week ago...Not needlework, so I should have known better. They claimed that the mesh on it was 36 by 36....I expected it to be somewhat off....It was WAY off. By about eight threads...There's no way that I am going to use it for cross stitch. I am going to use it for regular embroidery that I won't have to count.

I could use it for a geometric pattern, but it would distort any other kind fo cross stitch pattern. I hate buying fabric of any kind on line.....I like to touch it and examine it before buying. Unfortunately I had a gift certificate and that was about the only thing that I wanted from there.

Holly, your message came in just as I was writing this. Yes. Any woven fabric can be off one way or the other. Usually lengthwise.

Silk is not nearly as bad as linen, but I have even worked with regular needlepoint canvas that was off...It's just the nature of the animal.

The funny thing is I usually only use linen if part of the fabric is going to show through (if it's all going to be covered up, what's the point of fancy fabric?!) But in this case I was looking for the highest possible counts, for mini stuff, and that's how I ended up with the linen. (I don't much like stitching on silk gauze.) Still, I have used various linens in the past and never ended up with unsquare squares... not that I noticed, anyway. Ah well, live and learn!

I forgot to mention, the other thing that really frustrated me about stitching this panel is that the chart uses colors, not symbols, and some of the colors are very similar. It led to more than a few mistakes (and with stitches this small it's hard to pull out the errors). Just a warning for others who might be thinking of picking up this book...

• 1 month later...

Looking beautiful. I have the Georgian Embroidery book on my wish list for amazon...its been there for a year or so....I went to look at it again and the lowest price for a used copy has skyrocketed to $40...guess it will be on my wishlist a while longer...those of you who have the book, treasure it lol

Very pretty!

The Georgian book is the one I don't have. Wish I did, I noticed the price had skyrocketed! Supply and demand, I guess...

I recently picked up Miniature Embroidered Patchwork and there are a bunch of projects I want to stitch from it. I'm practically finished with a pinwheel quilt for my half scale log cabin. Will post pictures soon.

Here's my finished quilt (half scale), stitched over one on 32-count linen. I changed the colors, the original pattern used pinks. Very simple pattern, but it was nice... I didn't have to pay too much attention!

post-7-0-99772300-1347344001_thumb.jpg

(The mattress is a tad lumpy, but this is the prairie -- it's probably authentic! And I'll be adding pillows, which will cover up that lump.)

• Like 1

Looking beautiful. I have the Georgian Embroidery book on my wish list for amazon...its been there for a year or so....I went to look at it again and the lowest price for a used copy has skyrocketed to $40...guess it will be on my wishlist a while longer...those of you who have the book, treasure it lol

There were two used very good condition on half.com for $5.00 each. Now there is only one as I took the other.

Valerie

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

A little nervous/excited right now...I used my mother in jaws ( that was a typo...calling Dr. Freud ) birthday $ to buy my first janet granger needlepoint rug kit. Since she doesn't approve of my dollhouses it gives me great satisfaction to spend her money on them. Anyway...my experience with needlepoint is only on a full size project and the design was stamped on the fabric. This rug will be my first time following a chart. I'm looking forward to trying something new :-) the pattern I chose is called Alice (I believe), it's floral with a minty green and quite large. I may need to ask advice from our seasoned needlepointers eventually. I was happy to find this old thread that I had forgotten about, to see that Janet's kits are well recommended.

• Like 3

Karin, until you get the knack of tiny stitching I recommend folding and finding the center of your fabric and working your piece from the center out. If your kit fabric is too small to fit a hoop you can baste itto a larger piece of fabric and cut away the scrap fabric carefully. I like to work with a single strand of floss, doubled, and begin with an "eye of the lark" stitch until I see how well I can run the thread under the previous stitches. Of course, if your fabric is a small enough tpi count you may be stitching with a single strand...