Mini Cross Stitch

Blondie

I started on a mini kit from Janet Granger that I'm going to hang in my Cattery. It's SO SMALL that I'm using one of those magnifying glasses you hang around your neck. And I'm being VERY good about making the back as pretty as I can, too. :D

UGH I keep forgetting to attach photos... Let's see if I can figure this out...

post-1461-0-62900000-1336420617_thumb.jp

I have a magnifying visor with a builtin lamp I use for a lot of detailing, but for sculpting wee faces I just use my bifocals (which probably explains a lot!) and for needlework I use the loupe that clips onto my glasses.

About neat backs - I remember hearing once that the cross stitch samplers that "survive" for hundreds of years are the ones with messy backs, because the thread on the back protects the fabric. Not sure if it's true or not, but I like to use this to justify my own messy backs!

Yes, it certainly can! But, you'll need to watch the number of threads you use depending on the stitch count of fabric you choose. If you would use two threads for the same stitch count fabric in needlepoint, you'd need only one for cross stitch since you are first going one way and then back over the other way...equaling two threads once your X is complete. :)

I needlepoint crossstitch charts in mini because IMO the crossed threads seem too pebbly in 1:12 or smaller; I use two or three strands of floss. But I have used about any charted design for either crossstitch OR needlepoint, depending on what I was using it for.

Sure you can ... a chart is a chart is a chart--just a design ... how you fill in the blanks is up to you. Needlepoint, cross-stitch, tile mosaic, wood parquet or whatever! I've thought about using seed beads (on edge) to make a mosaic tabletop using a needlepoint patter. It's on my list of stuff to try when I get caught up on everything else. :D

• 2 months later...

Well, I did it! I started an easy rug from the Janet Granger book. I was off to a rough start and the seam ripper and I became best friends!! I am now enjoying working on the rug. I chose the one I thought would be the easiest . . . an Art Deco style that I will be able to use in my bungalow. I used different colors than shown in the book so it would match my color scheme.

Brae - I think the rug you made from the book where you changed the colors is the same one that is shown on the cover. I love that rug but told myself it would take a lot more practice before I could try that one!! Yours came out beautiful . . .

I tackled needlepoint (cross stitch) only once, and that was to make 2 little sofa pillows and one carpet for my bookcase dollhouse many years ago. I had to alter the carpet pattern to fit the narrower floorspace - made it 5 1/2" x 12". I didn't keep track of the hours, guess I should have, but I only worked on it when I was sitting down talking with either company or in a business meeting. So it kept me going for about a year. I just carried it around in a little packet and kept working on it whenever I had the time. I covered the back with a piece of felt and it has made a nice carpet for several different houses. It is currently in my Garden Bistro (built into a glass garden-window)

post-4286-0-16327600-1341957254_thumb.jp

post-4286-0-43777200-1341957257_thumb.jp

Late to the party as usual, but I also cross-stitch although I can't claim to be nearly the expert that my mother is! My aunt is just finishing the framing on the last piece I did so when it gets here I'll try to post a pic or two. I find it relaxing, although I do hate those big knots that form when you least expect :mad: Blending filament is my nemesis; I hate working with it even though it looks gorgeous when you get done. I haven't gotten up the courage to try anything in mini yet.

I have done the regular cross stitch but have done mini pieces occasional. I will try to find the one or two pieces I still have and post some pictures. One I have is a wall hanging I did for my coaching house (still in box) kit of the Unicorn in the woods. It started out to be an eyeglass holder but never totally finished and converted it to the wall hanging.

Dolls House Do-It-Yourself: Carpets and Rugs by Sue Hawkins is a good book to check out. She has some nice beginner stair runners.

The back of any embroidery project shouldn't be too lumpy or messy, especially in miniature since it can ruin the illusion of scale when placed flat. Here's a needlepoint rug I did where I show the back: http://www.otterine....1.php/llama-rug

I work in small areas of the same color, don't carry threads too far into new areas and run end threads under only a few stitches nearby. It takes some practice, but it's easy once you get the hang of it.

I just checked out this book and it definitely looks like a good one. I will be ordering this soon. Brae - the backs of your carpets are as good as the fronts :yes: . . . as I am working, I am constantly checking my back now to make sure I don't end up with a messy and lumpy back, and so far I am doing pretty good. I think I am finally getting the hang of it! :happydance:

The Tree tapestry is hanging above the fireplace in the living room off my Beacon Hill.

I love mini handworks like kniting, needlepoint and croche it works good to relax after work.

bye bye Carin

Karin - the things you made are beautiful. I see you made the same rug as Brae . . . I am hoping one day to be brave enough to try that one. I love it. I was wondering about making chair coverings. I am making my diningroom furniture, and I don't like the plain material with an iron-on design that came with the kit. I think I will try to make the seat coverings myself after seeing your beautiful work. Thanks everyone for all the great info and advice. I just love this forum. I have seen such beautiful work here, and it has given me the incentive to try to make more of my own things. And yes, it is relaxing after a day at work to come home and work on things like this. :yes:

...I will try to make the seat coverings myself...
I stitched the Aubusson carpet from pamela Warner's book Miniature Embroidery for the Georgian Dolls' House and made matching chair seats and put them into the Faifields' diningroom and they were too small! (the entire five sets of furniture I got for the build were actually 1:32, NOT 1:24 scale!, which is why I wound up making all my furniture for the Bar Harbor "cottage")

gallery_8_34_262921.jpg

One of our other members stitched the same rug & chair seats first in 1:12, but I cannot remember her username! to locate the picture.

Holly, your carpet and chair seats are beautiful. Did you scale this down from 1" scale? I am now going to ask a dumb question . . . I am, as you know, fairly new to this whole needlework thing . . . how do you scale down 1" scale to 1/2" scale in needlework? I have scaled other things down to 1/2", but I just can't seem to figure out how to do this! :hmm:

The carpet was an accident, I really wanted to stitch it 1:12, but by the time I finished the center part and got to the border, that was all there was, size-wise. If I were mathmatically gifted I could figure out a formula for tpi/ scale calculations, but I'm not. Pamela Warner recommends 24-count mono canvas (needlepoint scrim) and what I had was 40+ tpi linen.