What's everyone working on?

I had started a 1:144 Victorian Mansion for my (micro village)  Minikin Township, but ran out of time. Between working and 2.5 weeks of company, somehow the minis got pushed aside. That left an empty space at the end of one street in the village so a brainstorm struck. I went through my collection of n-gauge train figures, and found some painters in action. So I built a simple little house and put the painters to work - two are painting the front and side of the house, and the third is working on window installation. 

Under Construction

Heading off to the NAME  Seattle Convention today ... will post finished pictures of the village later.

• Like 1

CJ- have a great time at the convention!

I've been painting the first floor rooms of my new rehab house.  I've tried emailing the client, but she is not returning my messages. :/  I decided to go with the last conversation we had about 'bright and cheery' and 'paint rather than wallpaper'.  I chose a cheery yellow for the kitchen- it will get white beadboard at the bottom and a white/black tile floor. The living room had originally had a beige paper, so I chose a similar shade of beige paint for it....and then I began rummaging around in my stash for a nice green color for the dining room.  Had several nice colors- just not what I wanted for this house.  and then I came upon a little jar of RED!  Yes!  that was it!  :D  Still needs another coat (or two), but I like it!  Wonder what the client will think of a red dining room?

paint progress.JPG

I havent checked to see how long its been since Ive been here...sigh...I have had back to back company and them my oldest who just moved here in Dec got transfered to Wyoming for his womans job...but here and there Ive been plodding along on my Taft...I posted some photos...

perhaps the most fun Ive had besides the store and shopping for stock for all those shelves is playing with all the wicker...I have cleaned several pieces...a few were just to far gone with stain or what have yous that I was only too happy to experiment with some paint....so far I have been very pleased with the results...

now I will have to go back and see what everyone has been up to....:batman::batman:

Trying a little experiment to see if I can at least upload photos here, since it's not letting me update my gallery pics at all.  :( Anyways, a quick picture to show the final papers decided on and installed in the Brownstone I've been working on, carpet and flooring for the second and third floors aren't permanently installed and are just sitting in there at the moment until I get all my lights and chandeliers added in.

entire brownstone.jpg

On Wednesday, July 20, 2016 8:05:14, CheckMouse said:

I had started a 1:144 Victorian Mansion for my (micro village)  Minikin Township, but ran out of time. Between working and 2.5 weeks of company, somehow the minis got pushed aside. That left an empty space at the end of one street in the village so a brainstorm struck. I went through my collection of n-gauge train figures, and found some painters in action. So I built a simple little house and put the painters to work - two are painting the front and side of the house, and the third is working on window installation. 

Under Construction

Heading off to the NAME  Seattle Convention today ... will post finished pictures of the village later.

Lisa and I will be there Saturday!

• Like 2

My excitement for today, finally found the crown molding I'm using in the bedroom. The original molding I had picked out was by Unique Miniatures but just seemed way too big. The molding I found today I don't recall ever seeing used in miniature before, and I don't think it's made anymore. If it is I would love to know by whom. Anyways has a unique look and got painted today, will hopefully get it installed with a few more lights tomorrow. It's some from an estate I had picked up a couple of years ago, and honestly didn't even know I had. Truly made me happy!

On 7/17/2016, 9:48:19, rodentraiser said:

Thank you, Kathie! The house looks much better on the outside with the window, too. I was going to call my house Brambleberry Cottage, but I'm not sure if someone has already used this name. If anyone has heard it before, please let me know. I don't want to take someone else's name.

I Googled "Brambleberry Cottage". There's a tea room in Spokane with that name and a blog and a pinterest page. Didn't see any miniature houses. I'm guessing with the tradition of naming houses in England, there is more than one Brambleberry Cottage. Yours will no doubt be the only Brambleberry Cottage in Bremerton. :D Go ahead and call it whatever you like. By the way, titles cannot be copyrighted. You could call it Gone with the Wind, if you were so inclined, and not be faulted. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KathieB said:

I Googled "Brambleberry Cottage". There's a tea room in Spokane with that name and a blog and a pinterest page. Didn't see any miniature houses. I'm guessing with the tradition of naming houses in England, there is more than one Brambleberry Cottage. Yours will no doubt be the only Brambleberry Cottage in Bremerton. :D Go ahead and call it whatever you like. By the way, titles cannot be copyrighted. You could call it Gone with the Wind, if you were so inclined, and not be faulted. 

You googled it? That's awesome of you! Thank you!

I was more concerned about there being someone here on the forum who had already named their cottage Brambleberry Cottage. I just didn't want to step on anyone's toes.

And of course, now I'm dithering because Brambleberry Pub sounds so much better to me. I actually had a litter of mice I named after berries: Blackberry, Blueberry, and Brambleberry.

WAIT! I HAVE IT! I HAVE AN IDEA!

I'll call the cottage Brambleberry Cottage and the pub I'll call Teaberry Pub. I have no idea if there is such a thing as a teaberry, but that's what the pub is going to be called. BAR, DARN IT, BAR!

My big house, when I ever put it back together again, will be Roseberry House.

And the village they all reside in is going to be called Huckleberry village. I'm beginning to really like this theme.

And...LMAO...in a nod to the movie 'The Big Short', I'll have a bank and investment house in the village one day and call it Michaelberry Bank after Michael Burry. ROTFLMAO

OK, I gotta stop now.

• Like 1

GAH! Lisa got some nice rose patterned cloth at the NAME show yesterday and gave it to me, so I thought I would try to reupholster that brown "leather" chair I got in the set last year. Well, now I know why that set costs so much. The thing is made with wood, put together with long staples, and glued with some sort of cement glue to within an inch of its life. When I finally got the little sucker apart and as much of the leather and glue scraped off as I could, I realized the cloth I had was folded and would need to be ironed before I could start using it. And I don't even own an iron. Double GAH!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

I realized the cloth I had was folded and would need to be ironed before I could start using it. And I don't even own an iron. Double GAH!

Roll in in a dampened towel for an hour or so, then spread the fabric out on a smooth surface (countertop?) to dry.  You could put it between layers of paper toweling and place a weight (book?) on it so it will dry flat. Where there's a will ... :D

Thank you, I'll have to try that. Meantime, I think it's time I checked out a few blogs about how to make a chair. Now that I have mine in pieces, I also realize I don't know how to measure the cloth to the pieces of chair. The cloth is only 18 x 9, so it's not very big and I'd hate to only get part-way through and run out of cloth because of my idiotness.

I better get used to this, though. I'm also planning on reupholstering the large sofa that goes with this set, as well as some dining room chairs, since I found the exact dark blue checked cloth I was looking for. And now I have to refigure my kitchen. It looks like it's going to be blue and white after all.......someone tell me again why I got into this hobby?

Stepping in quick, while have a few minutes.

the daughter is here to pick up the boys, she and the grandsons are leaving at the end of the week.  The boys are fun

she needed to use my computer for some work today, so I was able to "keep her company", my computer is in my work room, so ....

worked on flowers, and she designed, I made, a sign for the bakery.  Also found a perfect concave rock which of course meant I needed a faucet.  I'm super proud of my faucet - it's made of a pipe, jewelry bit, and a q-tip!  I still think it's a bit red, so I'm gonna add some more black.

13 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Wintergreen is also known as checkerberry and tea berry.

Yeah, when I was little, I remember my mother had a bottle of checkerberry extract. It was used for flavoring candy. That's when I found out that checkerberry and wintergreen were the same thing. Later on, I found out that teaberry was also wintergreen!