What's everyone working on?

birthday girl...LOVED her Orchid...I sent 3 puzzle furniture sets for her to do and one of the wicker chairs and a filled hutch and also her house instructions...

my daughters other niece who is 4 going on 5 was VERY interested in the house...so who knows I may be doing another...

I have the grans this weekend and we sanded and repainted some wood columns we have that Miss Catriona plans to use in her wedding...then we painted ceramic figures cuz these kidos LOVE to paint... with Halloween just around the corner I plan to work on the Taft until mid Sept so another 2 weeks and then set the poor thing aside again while I give the Haunted house the MAJOR clean up it needs from being stored...I have to remove the roofing and redo it....whooo knows what the mices did on it! lol.... I do not have a Halloween village but I do have enough items for a cute set up and thats what Im gonna do.

Deb had the last of the Greenleaf villages I needed to complete my Christmas Village...not sure if all 6 house will get built this yr but I do know that the mini Orchid will be covered in fabric and the bakery will be done up as a putz house... DH laughed when I showed him the box...he said babe the village is gonna need its own table soon....yea? so? Im not seeing this as a problem...where to PUT the table?:dunno: well that might be? lol...details...dont bother me with details...Im building here!:construction:

and during all of this miniature stuff on the list...I have my bestie coming from MO to do daughters Wedding cake and I have a gift I started last yr for her...so it will have to get done as well...and the wedding cake and flowers are now also on this list!...sigh...Im tired:baby:

• Like 1

On 8/26/2016, 10:32:35, jbnmini said:

I have no idea why my message is being inserted in a blank quote from jbnmini. And no matter what I try, I can't clear it or type below it, where a response would normally go. Sheesh!

Just wanted to say that we stopped at Lowe's this afternoon and bought a couple of 2'x2' sheets of quarter-inch plywood and a 16" lazy susan to sandwich between them (when they're cut down a bit) to make a base for the Haunted House. It's hard to swivel the Washington 2.0 without a base. We no longer have a real workshop, but we have a handsaw. The lazy susan is a plastic kitchen model, not metal but should be sturdy enough to handle the light load. I have Liquid Nails. This should be doable.

17 minutes ago, KathieB said:
On August 26, 2016 at 11:32:35 AM, jbnmini said:

I have no idea why my message is being inserted in a blank quote from jbnmini. And no matter what I try, I can't clear it or type below it, where a response would normally go. Sheesh!

Kathie, I only know how to fix this when it happens to me, on a cell phone. I pound on the left hand corner of the box until a little grey box shows up and then hit the backspace key. Takes multiple tries, however. 

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

Thanks for the hint, Sable. Now, of course, I can't replicate the error. Oh, well ... 

All you have to do is "quote" this. Backspace out all the text until you only see 'X hours ago, Sable said:'.   Then you're all set up to try and delete it. Good luck.

Well, for myself haven't been doing a whole lot of anything as I came down with a stomach bug the beginning of the week and was sick as a dog for several days. Thankfully, seems to have passed now! Still working on my third floor of my brownstone project -- but thankfully, only have one more band to go around the exterior of the floor in regards to gluing veneer. Then just a quick sanding and poly and it will finally be done!!! So excited to finally see it finished!

Over the weekend while running Erlands I go the opportunity to visit a hobby store mainly carrying trains stuff like that, but as they have a great selection of landscaping materials I stocked up on a few things amongst other things i got a bottle of "Water" for making running/moving Water. It is a really think sort of paste that will take a few days to dry clear but I have added it around the base of the lighthouse for where I want tiny streaks of Water running down the sites, and we'll see how it turns out...

Hugs

• Like 2

Thank goodness the last of my veneer was glued and taped into place. Trying to remind myself to be patient and let it truly dry and set up for 24-48 hours -- but OH I want to put that last coat of sealant on and get it in place! Ah well, while I'm waiting for that I dug out a box of old furniture patterns for dollhouse furniture -- going to try and get the patterns into one binder so that I can flip and find them easier than digging through a box full of old envelopes.

Stillquietly fiddling with the exterior of the lighthouse, awaiting the water effects to dry so that I can get a view on where to add more effects so to speak. Also keep adding bits and pieces to the landscaping so that soon there wil only be the clay work on the Foundation left to do and paint, add the window frames and the final light installation as I have the top light wired with electrical cord as I want to opportunity to light that with a light swithc instead of a LED battery light as it won't be possible once the roof is finally installed. I also need to glue the curtain rod in Place but as that will most probably involve atleast two set of holding fingers in the process  to get done I need to plan that event carefully ;) or try another in my mind's Eye first....

Hugs

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2016‎ ‎2‎:‎42‎:‎58‎, asherah said:

painted my house purple ! I love this colour. I think it looks a lot better. Really brightens it up. 

14099645_1134525829903172_2011702778_n.jpg

This actually made me giggle a little because the Alexandria that I built was also purple - and I referred to it as "the Purple Monster House"!  LOL

While Holly was fiddling with Brimble, I was fiddling with Bramble. I had gotten a resin bathroom set on eBay for a great price and of course, I promptly dropped the sink and bathtub - a couple of times! - and managed to break the handles off of both. So since I had bought new tub and sink fixtures many years ago and they're still sitting around being useless, and since Lisa left me her little power sander, a couple days ago I decided to see if I could sand down the remaining nubs of the faucets because naturally they didn't break off right at the bottom. And it worked! Now all I need to do is repaint the resin and I have no idea how I'm going to accomplish that so it doesn't look terrible.

1 hour ago, rodentraiser said:

... Now all I need to do is repaint the resin and I have no idea how I'm going to accomplish that so it doesn't look terrible.

Acrylic craft paints take well to resin. Either a gloss white or a coat of clear gloss ought to give a good a good porcelain finish.

alas the Taft sits sadly on its side...the last thing we did to it was enlarge the upstairs door to allow for more view into the greenhouse...

I havent even cleaned the sawdust...but I have cleaned up the niche after the grans last visit and made our big dining room table flower central...

I took apart a perfectly lovely bouquet that I got off e-bay..sigh...I just wanted to add white flowers to it so you couldnt see the wire stems...for some reason that bothered me...ALOT...but alas as I do I got over zealous and in the end it worked out perfectly but the getting there was scary...worked out there were 5 of the satin flowers with bling to go with each of 5 white chrysanthemum type flower...BUT the middle one had to be CUT from its stem and glued into the flower...geeesh I love me...the more I cut into the perfectly fine bouquet...sigh..:dunno::cry:.in the end it is sitting there ready for me to wrap the base in white...which I had forgotten...then off to Mo to my niece for her Wedding and time to get serious about my own daughters Wedding...will set up the sewing machine in the flower space as well...we already have sewing projects in the planning stages...

I think what will happen is because Im having company and I want to clean the real house and find all my blankets and sheets ....

I will sit the taft up and dry fit its roof and fill its shelves and maybe the greenhouse in time for my friends visit...she and I of course are also doing the cake/cupcakes...I try to get organised early to keep my chaos at bay...so we shall see...

I also want to finish this same friends gift I almost got done last yr for her...before she gets here so I can set it up in her room for her...

if you dont hear from me...send chocolate....:drive:

• Like 3

Since returning from vacation, I've been cramming on the three projects that need finishing before going to the state fair the first half of next week. And we're gone all day tomorrow and some on Monday. I swore up and down last year that I'd be on the ball and ready in plenty of time this year. Bah humbug. Back to the grind.

• Like 1

I haven't kept up with this thread in ages! Good to see everyone is hard at work and making progress on all of their projects.

I had become very frustrated with my barn project. I have a LOT of things to spray paint, and it's been either too hot, too humid, or too windy for what seems like months. Many, many things are on hold until the weather changes. I had started making kitchen cabinets, but had to walk away from that mess, too. I figure another week or two and I'll be ready to get back at it.

In the meantime...the Yellow Daisy house is going much faster than I expected. So far, I have removed all flooring, loose wallpaper, scary wiring and ugly fixtures, the landing railing, the stairs, the shingles, and the foundation "stone". A lot of the carpet fabric was firmly glued down and taking it out took off the cover sheet of paper from the foam core. Same with the shingles-many of the roof panels lost the paper completely, and the rest was so dirty and covered in glue, I just removed it. Hobby Lobby sells a 6-ply heavy poster board that I'm using to replace the missing paper, and I'm using Weldbond glue. So far, so good!! The glue works wonderfully, and the stiff poster board is reinforcing all of the floors. I started picking at the exterior...there is a LOT of glue blobs, paint drips, smears of I don't know what (?spackle. caulk) that was used in the construction. The house will never be perfect, but there's only so much sloppy finishing that I can take!

I figure a few more days to finish replacing base floors, cleaning up the glue blobs, and general soap and water scrubbing before it's ready for primer. I know we were all skeptical of a Styrofoam house, but after using a putty knife and hammer to get the shingles off, I'm convinced that it's sturdy enough to keep.      

• Like 1

Linda, so glad to hear the Yellow Daisy house is holding up and taking the cleaning as gracefully as it seems to be!

For myself, I thankfully got all the veneer applied the other day to the third floor for my Georgetown Brownstone. I just got in from the shop after applying the first coat of resin to seal it all up. I know I'll have to do one more coat, but I already love the way it's coming out! :)  Once I've finally got that floor done, I'm going to go ahead and finish up the wainscoting on that level.

At the moment though, while I'm waiting for resin to dry and finding the temperatures outside to be ridiculously toasty -- I'm inside in a nice closed off air-conditioned room with my pup. We cut actual glass for the windows last night... even though I had one window design done on plexiglass I just wasn't liking it. Now that I'm home and back with all of my stained glass supplies, I was able to cut some clear glass for the base windows. I'll still just use the lead tape on both sides and glass paint -- but I think this looks nicer already, I don't know maybe it's just me being overly critical.

Looking forward to the day when I'm not just uploading update pictures, but uploading a picture of this one done!  :construction:

Well, I went over to Lisa's yesterday and we worked on the Glencrofts some more. At least, Lisa did. I sat and pouted. Finally I got this insane idea that I immediately implemented and if it turns out OK, I'll post some pics next week. It involves putting two bedrooms and a bathroom on the second floor.

Meantime Lisa painted and wallpapered her stairs and they are gorgeous! She's going to finish them and also take pics next week.

• Like 1

Finally got back to my French Country and cleaned all the sticky residue from the old tapewire I ripped out.  Went to Home depot to get primer and scored! Found a quart in the oops bin for $2! 

I've now primed the interior ceilings and walls. Tomorrow I will sand, and either start on tapewire or do textured ceilings. 

I looked in my wallpaper stash and pulled out a few Itsy Bitsy ones I will use. I need to get back on track and plan the décor, and get busy!

• Like 2

You can't beat a quart of primer for $2.00! Way to go!

For myself, did another coat of resin on my floor today -- still not coming out quite like I have envisioned, so may have to try another tomorrow...

Tonight, it's going to be all about working on windows, and if I'm lucky grinding my glass down to start laying out my lead lines. Maybe marbling a fireplace as well if I get lucky with my time management. lol

2 hours ago, minikelli said:

You can't beat a quart of primer for $2.00! Way to go!

For myself, did another coat of resin on my floor today -- still not coming out quite like I have envisioned, so may have to try another tomorrow

Why resin and not polyurethane?

Very simply I'm using the resin to level it out a bit. I've been trying for a couple of days now to load some progress pics of this floor, and my gallery is just not having it. Hopefully by the time I'm done with it -- I'll be able to upload some pics.

Oh, and yeah the floor is both wood veneer and Greenleaf linoleum tiles that look like stone, thus my need of the resin to level it out.