Hobby Lobby new furniture

Just One More

I just went to Hobby Lobby to get a bathroom set and couldn't believe they actually had the new furniture I had heard about. I got the black bedroom set, the sewing machine and a nice picnic table and benches that could be used inside in a country kitchen. The black bedroom set was shiny black kind of modern looking so when I got it home I sanded it, added antique gel I use for everything and Voila, a contemporary country bedroom. Here are pictures. The sewing machine is nicer than they usually have also. They also have an outdoor patio set with an umbrella and a nice jewelry armoire for Victorian style. I only went for the bathroom but this was too good to pass up at 50% off.

post-1928-1300295078_thumb.jpg

post-1928-1300295112_thumb.jpg

I really wish they had a Hobby Lobby close by. I think there is one in Phoenix AZ but that's 4 hours away with a over a mountain so I won't be doing that anytime soon. Your bedroom set came out nice.

WOW...this came out very nicely...

What antiquing gel do you use?

It's the Folk Art Antiquing Medium. #811. There's a darker one #818. I use it to stain all my doors, window frames, baseboards, floors, even MDF floors. It has no odor, is water based and dries fairly fast. It's in the paint department at Hobby Lobby where they have all the small bottles of paint. It's hard to find sometimes but it's in that aisle. It's $2.99. It's a 2 0z bottle but goes a long way. For floors I just squirt some on and wipe it with a wrung out wet rag until it's the shade I want. If Iwant it darker I just do it again when it's dry. The black furniture I just sanded with medium fine sandpaper and then wiped it down with the antique medium. I don't thnk I've ever used paint on my window frames or doors. I like the stained wood look.

I really wish they had a Hobby Lobby close by. I think there is one in Phoenix AZ but that's 4 hours away with a over a mountain so I won't be doing that anytime soon. Your bedroom set came out nice.

I went to North Phoenix High School in 1955, ages ago. I loved it there but haven't been back since then. Not sure where you live. I imagine Phoenix is totally different than when I lived there.

I saw those today too! I didn't see the armoire, I'll have to look again for those. The bedroom set was my favorite, but I love how you changed it!

Thanks for the info on the antiquing medium. I've looked for it many times becasue I always like how your floors turn out, but wasn't really sure what I was looking for. This should help. :thumb:

I went to North Phoenix High School in 1955, ages ago. I loved it there but haven't been back since then. Not sure where you live. I imagine Phoenix is totally different than when I lived there.

Phoenix is huge, I live 4 hours away in a tiny tiny town of Pima down a dirt road in the middle of nowhere. I've tried to google my address before and it comes back as no such place :thumb: . I hate to disagree with Google but I'm pretty sure I know where I live and it does exist LOL

I really wish we had Hobby Lobby in Canada!!! I have 3 more months before I am back in Washington for summer I can't wait!!! First thing I will do is drive to nearest Hobby Lobby and have my first Hobby Lobby experience!!!! :thumb:

Phoenix is huge, I live 4 hours away in a tiny tiny town of Pima down a dirt road in the middle of nowhere. I've tried to google my address before and it comes back as no such place . I hate to disagree with Google but I'm pretty sure I know where I live and it does exist LOL

I used to know someone from Pima when I lived in Tucson @ 1970, but I can't remember who it was. B)

When I played the newer edition of Trivial Pursuit with my son last weekend I couldn't even remember Woodstock, and my best friend was there! tsk :thumb:

I'm interested in the patio set with the umbrella. I wish there were HLs in NJ. Acmoore's selection is terrible, cheap quality, and vastly overpriced ever since they changed suppliers. :thumb:

I love that HL has new stuff too and I got the bedroom set myself but was very surprised on how they have raised the prices...

The bedroom set without the sale would have been 50+.. in my opinion that is way to high...

I really wanted the leather couch and chair :thumb: but will have to wait for another sale day for that.. or use a 40%...

They had a couple houses on clearance, they were 40% off but they are not carrying that house any longer..

One was the Victorian Cottage Jr.. I got it for 31.00 so I was pleased with that.

They had on clearance a dining room set and a couch and chair with the green flowers and the Alison Jr I think it was..

The clearance sticker worked out to be 40% off..

They seem to be putting a lot of houses on clearance, the cottage, the Princess Anne and you mentioned the Alison Jr. now. I wonder if they are going to bring in a new line of houses or other RGT houses. The new furniture is expensive and I'd never pay the full price for any of it. There's usually a 40% off coupon every other week though. I wish they'd start to carry Greenleaf and not just the Orchid. They used to have DuraCraft and a couple of other RGTs than they have now. They've started a new line of toy-type houses but they are definitely for play.

I saw this set in HL today, and I like your version better. It is a sight for sore eyes to finally see something new there, but the prices are very off-putting.

I got a bunch of supplies from HL today. One thing to note: if it is something they have carried for a while, look at the packages in the back to see if they have any that are still marked with the old prices. A lot of the stuff is only a $1 or 2 more, and it is 50% off, but it can really add up!

Wow - I really like that bedroom set! So tell me - think that would work for a late 1800's early 1900's?? I am having a hard time trying to decide what to use. Think it could be sanded down more and made lighter and what black is left is just age marks?

Would love to see what other things they have!

Wow - I really like that bedroom set! So tell me - think that would work for a late 1800's early 1900's?? I am having a hard time trying to decide what to use. Think it could be sanded down more and made lighter and what black is left is just age marks?

Would love to see what other things they have!

You could probably sand it more. The paint is really on there though. It took a lot to just get off as much as I did. The little knobs are glued in. One fell out while I was sanding and they are on wooden pegs. It would be easier to do more extensive sanding if you could get them out. I think the only thing that made this set look modern is the glossy black paint. I think the shape of the bed, wardrobe and dresser could be any time period except maybe Victorian.

Looking good Pat. Very effective refinishing treatment. Thought it would work for a house I built a few years back. Had to make a run to Michaels last night and swung by HL as well. Unfortunately they did not have the set. Will keep my eye out for it though.

Looking good Pat. Very effective refinishing treatment. Thought it would work for a house I built a few years back. Had to make a run to Michaels last night and swung by HL as well. Unfortunately they did not have the set. Will keep my eye out for it though.

You should get a raincheck for it. I've done that and it's usually in in a week. 50% off on that set brings it to a much more reasonable amount. I went in today to get a door and the bedroom set wasn't there. They usually only get one or two at a time.

It's the Folk Art Antiquing Medium. #811. There's a darker one #818. I use it to stain all my doors, window frames, baseboards, floors, even MDF floors. It has no odor, is water based and dries fairly fast. It's in the paint department at Hobby Lobby where they have all the small bottles of paint. It's hard to find sometimes but it's in that aisle. It's $2.99. It's a 2 0z bottle but goes a long way. For floors I just squirt some on and wipe it with a wrung out wet rag until it's the shade I want. If Iwant it darker I just do it again when it's dry. The black furniture I just sanded with medium fine sandpaper and then wiped it down with the antique medium. I don't thnk I've ever used paint on my window frames or doors. I like the stained wood look.

I found it! Thanks so much for the great description. I can't wait to use it. And used my 40% coupon, how pitiful is that?!

I also looked for the armoire, but they were out. I did find the spot though, and got a raincheck. :)

Still resisted buying any more furniture without a spot or a plan for it, and also resisted the 2 houses on clearance. Hope those sell soon...

Pat- Nice job on the bedroom set and Thanks to you for the 50% heads up I finally got the nursery furniture that I've wanted for while now. :) When I was there I found the poly fiber in green color for making trees. It was a very nice day indeed.