My Newport Cape House Progress

acsbriggs

I finally got to start working on my Newport Cape House this weekend and am having so much fun! I took all of your advice to spend a lot of time sorting and such, and now have a box full of tons of ziploc bags marked by piece # and sorted by step #. The base is under construction! I'm so excited right now---being a stay-at-home mom, I'm having to do this on a pretty tight budget, but want to make it as great as possible since it's a present for my niece. I won a dollhouse lot on ebay that included "hardwood flooring" and got a vinyl tile for the kitchen/bathroom flooring after seeing the instructions on here for making tile flooring (spending a whopping $0.89). After visiting the local mini store, I was shocked to see how much it'd cost to buy "carpeting" for the remaining rooms ($20 a room), even though it was kinda cheesy looking velvet. I decided to look for fabric that I could stick down using my Xyron machine's double-sided adhesive. I just got back from Joann's where I found that all their home decor fabrics were on sale for 40% off, then I found a great beige textured velour fabric in the remnant/end of bolt section to use in the bedroom (way discounted plus still getting the 40% off). When I got it cut, there was only a half a yard left on the bolt after I got my piece, which they then offered to sell me for an extra 50% off on top of the other discounts! So I got enough to do the rest of the house and probably in the next one I build, all for --- TA-DA --- $2.95 including tax!!!!!!!! I'm just quite proud of myself right now... :lol:

Anne, I can see that you were made for minis! It's gotten so that everywhere I go I'm thinking "hmmmm, would that work in my dollhouse?" I'm glad that you've found such a wonderful way to spend your time and that your niece will be benefitting from you work...nice thought! Keep up the great attitude and, when you get around to it, remember that we love to see pictures! Best of luck to you!

Congratulations Anne on your great buy. Yep, you already are getting the "bug". Pretty soon you'll be surprised at what can be made to work in a mini.

I really want to see a pic of how it looks. I am considering doing that as I can no longer find the fuzzy scrapbook paper I have previously used. My budget is extremly tinght and I can not afford regular dollhouse carpeting and am considering using fabric.

Melissa

melissa I have used regular upolstery material for carpet in most of my houses.

I have never purchased dollhouse carpeting...to expensive and BLAH in MHO

find it in the craft department at wal-marts...where I like to buy most of my dollhouse building supplies

look in the remnents section for even better bargins.

in the haunted house I used a dark blue suede like material...LOVE that stuff bought it at same time I bought the light blue suede looking stuff used in the Mckinley bedroom.

now I also have used those 8x10 felt peices in houses for little girls(with sparkles)

and that dosent look to bad either.

Im like you...cut corners to keep the cost down but still try for a nice house...which I think you acheive very nicely!

nutti <_<

I'm not at the point of using the carpet yet, but I'll make sure I'll get pics up of it as soon as it goes in! The foundation is put together and the body of the house goes together today. YAY! After I saw a post on here about putting together a "book" of the progress, I thought it was a great idea and I'm making sure to take pics as I go along to put together a "story book" for my niece showing the story of her house. I'll put new batteries in the camera today and try to get progress pics up soon.

I think my Willowcrest girls love the book as much as they love their house.

and their fav photos are the ones where I let them "help" me with "my" house when they came for a visit.

it is too cute!

nutti <_<

I can't wait to see them!!

I'm making sure to take pics as I go along to put together a "story book" for my niece showing the story of her house. I'll put new batteries in the camera today and try to get progress pics up soon.

I remember when I was looking for carpet for my BH. Couldn't find decent dollhouse carpet anywhere! And then someone here (was it you Nutti?) suggested upholstry fabric. What a brilliant idea!! It's heavy enough to stay down, looks awesome and the choices are endless!! And of course getting a good bargain doesn't hurt either!! :)

BTW, where are the pictures?!! :lol:

I love the suggestion of using fabric for carpeting. I was in JoAnne's store and saw some I really liked (looked like carpeting) but thought maybe the thickness would not be believable. I am glad to know others have used fabric since this is a less costly alternative. Thanks!! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
I'm having to do this on a pretty tight budget, but want to make it as great as possible

rotflmbo, this is the reason I make as much as possible! Upholstery fabric makes for great dh carpet, and you can get grabbags of remnants for pennies.

Anne, where are your pictures?

• 1 month later...

I'm building the Newport Cape House, also. It's not my first, but I built the shell about two years ago. Everyone talks about houses having personalities and this one would be a spoiled little brat. Before I even opened the box it wanted to be bashed. It decided it wanted to look more like a brick Georgian/Federal than a Cape.

First it started with the brickwork. I wanted stone, but the house wanted brick. I honed down the milled in lap siding (wasn't as hard as it sounds) and tried to think up ways to brick it. Every idea was very expensive and I'm cheap so buying brick sheets was out. I decided to make them. So I made them out of Sculpey. Cut each brick individually and spray painted them with a textured terra cotta spray paint. Looked wonderful but very, very tedious. I got one side done and was so sick of this house so I put the shell away for about two years.

After two years of seeing it in the corner of my bedroom I decided this past summer to take it out and force myself to work on it. It was like a loadstone around my neck sitting there. I removed all the previously done brickwork off the side and decided I was going to stone it. I had previously done a Buttercup in real stone cut done and it looks great and I wanted to do this with this house. There are many 18th century houses in the area that are stoned like I wanted to do it, but the house was persistant and demanded to be brick against my wishes. So I was googling ideas about brickwork and came across a candy/cake decorating shop that sold impression mats for decorating cakes. They had clapboard, stone, brick, wood, etc. So for about $3.00 I bought one. Then I decided to use DAS clay (I prefer it to paperclay) and took out the pasta machine and rolled it through with the impression mat and made brick sheets. I then sprayed them with my textured terra cotta spray paint after I glued them onto the house. I've still got touch up work to do, but when it's finally done it will beautiful.

Currently I'm working on the roof. I wanted asphalt shingles, but when I added up the cost of buying them I didn't like the price. So I ordered the cheapest shingles I could find at HBS and and using those. After those are all down I'm going to spray them with a texturized slate-gray spray paint. I did the portico roof as a test and it turned out wonderful.

Now the house is demanding a conservatory be added. I don't really want to add one since I would have to rethink the base I have for the house. But it wants one. I told it maybe in April when HBS has their 50% off sale I'd consider buying it for it and using it as a kitchen or dining room, but it wasn't happy. So yesterday I go to the mailbox and find a new HBS catalog in the mail with coupons on the back for a 50% off sale for purchases over $75 on Dec 1st. The conservatory is $79. It's like the house looked at me with a know-it-all look and said "See, I told you so." So I may buy it in December, but I've not decided if I'm adding it to this house. I have other things I could use it for.

We've had other scuffles over the stairway, flooring, and trim. This is going to a great house when it's done, but I am really sick of building it. The kit itself is wonderful and fast to put together, but it has a major attitude. None of my other kits have ever had this personality problem. They've let me done whatever I wanted to them.

I'm a teacher and this house has become like that problem child you have in school. When you finally get through to him, he becomes your favorite and you'll always remember him. This house is doing that to me.

I buy upholstery fabric for carpetting too. At Jo-anns you can find their sample bins and buy the pieces really cheap. If you only need carpetting for one room, these samples are the perfect fit.

I got my impression mats/texture sheets from Sugarcraft. I'm jealous now because I see they have the brickwork in a rolling pin which would have made my job a whole lot easier. They didn't have those before because I looked. Although, the texture sheet looks more to scale than the roller.

Scroll down to the bottom to see the Rolling pins. I think I may have to buy the cobblestone one.

Oh Man, I just noticed Anne that you said you have a Xzyon Machine! I so want one of those (It's not in my budget yet). What other mini things do you use it for?

I used a xryon to do some of the wallpaper in my house. It broke :) . So I switched to spray adheasive. I want to get the xyron that does up to 12" wide. The one I had only did 5" it was great for doing Half a wall. LOL

I got my impression mats/texture sheets from Sugarcraft. I'm jealous now because I see they have the brickwork in a rolling pin which would have made my job a whole lot easier. They didn't have those before because I looked. Although, the texture sheet looks more to scale than the roller.

Scroll down to the bottom to see the Rolling pins. I think I may have to buy the cobblestone one.

Thank you, Jo. I will have to get me some. They are in scale or close to it?

I don't know about the rolling pins, but the brick impression mat is close to scale. Close enough that I used it.

I have a Xyron, too, but I've never used to for dollhouses. I have the Xyron 505 which is the 5 inch wide I think. I saw someone on tv once make paper houses with it though.

• 4 months later...

OMG! I know this an an old topic, but I had to comment on the rollers from Sugarcraft. WOW! I was searching the forum for ideas for cobblestones, and these rollers look great! I'll have to check Michael's for them, or see if there is a local place to see them in person. The ceiling tiles, brick, siding, etc. are so cool! There is sooo much you could do with these. Trying to figure out the approx. scale compared the size of the roller, now. If the roller is 2 inches and there are about 4 cobblestones across.... Just thinking out loud. Anyway, glad to bump this up if someone else sees these and can use them, too.

Thanks Jokelly!

Traci