How do you finish the edges?

uppitycats

OK, I'm getting near to completing my Garfield. (Well, I use "completing" loosely. I've decided that one is never completely done building and/or decorating the dollhouse..) but completed enough that I'm wondering how you all finish the edges of the walls..

the edges that you see when you look in the backside at the furniture and all. Right now, I've got the walls, they're papered on each side..but the edges are raw. You can see the two papers and the inner wall. I was thinking about trying to find a wood channel, but the one I thought was going to fit is too wide. What are the others of you doing? Taping them off, or??

I painted them. I thought of adding some kind of wood but couldn't find any that would fit right. If I do I can always add it.

Always hated the raw look of the wood showing. I use wood strips, too. For the floors I to stain them and for the walls I use a stained strip or I guess they could be finished. to match the siding.

I usually paint mine too, but on the Orchid I used the stucco to cover the two side edges as I was stuccoing anyway. I like the idea of wood strips! :D

Well, OK..I've got plenty of wood strips, stained to match the woodwork. I was thinking about taping them off, too -- using tape that would be the color of the woodwork. That would also make a smooth edge, so if people reach in to touch the furniture, they wouldn't risk scratching or scraping themselves..

I'll experiment a bit and see how the wood works. I'm concerned about how to attach it....but probably good old Aileen's glue will work...it's worked for most everything else...

I also use strip wood and I like to buy the rope looking trim from Hobby Lobby(wood craft section)

and use that. I have used ribbon and painted it but never satisfied with that.

I do think finishing the edges gives it a professional touch and makes your house extra special.

I use aileens tack glue and tape to put my edge peices on.

how exciting to be ready to put edge trim on....

good for you!

nutti :D

I've been using wood on the edges of my houses. I love how it looks cause it just looks completed and give it that neat tidy finished look. I'm definitely going to keep the idea of using ribbon in my brain though. I'm thinking for some of the smaller scale houses that would be a great way to finish off the wall ends. I've only done one building in 1/2 scale so far but I'm thinking ribbon might be a good way to go next time I give it a try :D

-David

I've used painted wood strips on the edges which I think gives the most finished look. I did that on the Lily and it gave a lovely "framed" look to the rooms. On a woodland type house, I used garlands of mini leaves on the edges. If I want to give the stained floors a finished look without distracting from the woodwork, I use "timbers" of basswood stained and varnished to match the floors. That also works to pull out any warping on the floor itself. Just gorilla glue them to the bottom edge of the floor and clamp it heavy till it dries. (another one of those "spontaneous architectural features that's functional but looks like it was meant to be that way :D )

Here's a pic of a sugarplum that had some serious warping on both floors and got the timbers added.

post-329-1155061835_thumb.jpg

Deb

I'm heading in to town next week..I think I'll look in HobbyLobby to see if I can find that wood that nutti is talking about...

otherwise, I already have a pile of "planks" stained the same as the woodwork, that I can cut to fit, I'm sure. I'm still thinking about tape, too ...I'll look in HL and see if I find anything I think appropriate...

I really do have to get some new pics made. I'm WAY ahead of the pics that I've got posted here....

remember to look in the wood craft section...also when I first started buying this stuff it was in 3 ft lengths

the last time I bought it...it was packaged up into 4 pieces about 12 inches in length. personally I like the longer pieces. especially to be used as the outer floor trim...ya dont want to have to piece it together.

good luck. looking forward to see it!

nutti :D

Since I used foamcore as my top floor in the Coventry Cottage I used skinny sticks on the edge of it stained to match the skinny stick floor.

I use the wood "channels" . I cut them the tiniest bit too long so that they are a really tight fit and do not glue them. I leave them loose so that I can hide the hard electrical wires behind them and still get to them.

And I agree with Deb. I like the way it frames out each room, and the added benefit of straightening warped pieces.

Carol

I use the wood "channels" . I cut them the tiniest bit too long so that they are a really tight fit and do not glue them. I leave them loose so that I can hide the hard electrical wires behind them and still get to them.

I looked in the latest Hobby Builders Supply catalog, but there is no 1/8" channel, which is what I need for the Orchid. Anyone know where to find some? Or do I bake a plate of cookies and head across the street to my neighbor's house? He has a lovely woodshop. :D

I suggest trying your local lumberyard. We have 2 mom and pop type lumber yards here that carry off the wall things that you can't find anywhere else. And a lot of lumber places will cut it for you. One of my local places will router it out for you - 2 free cuts and then 50 cents a cut after that. I know Menards will do it for $1.00 a cut after the first cut. But you might be pleasantly surprised by the variety of trims carried by an old fashioned lumber yard.

Carol