How big is your largest dollhouse?

Lisa_F

My dollhouse kits range in size from a two-room Ashley to a nine-room RGT front-opening Montgomery; with varying sized kits inbetween. My kit collection is steadily growning and sometimes I wonder where I'm gonna put them all when they are all built. Perhaps I will someday give a house or two away, but at this point in time I'm not ready to even consider that possibility :)

But even though I have all of these houses, and as slow as I am at putting them together (I'm still working on my niece's San Franciscan) - sometimes I daydream about having a dollhouse built from scratch that is huge and has lots of rooms to decorate & fill (20 rooms sounds like a good number to me!)

Not sure if that dollhouse will ever be more than a daydream 'cause I have absolutely no woodworking experience for building from scratch - but it's nice to think about all the same.

So how big is your biggest house? How big (how many rooms) would you want your biggest house to be, if you had the supplies to make it and a place to put it?

I have a two-story, 7-room Craftsman Bungalow I drafted into 1:12 scale & modified to have a rectangular "footprint" I'd like to build "some day". Because I live in a very tiny 1:1 house, I will eventually sell them all or else donate all my 1:12 houses to the local elementary schools & move on to 1:24 scale. Right now an 8-room Cambridge, the Glencroft pub & the Coventry Cottage s GA house share our livingroom with the entertainment center, four jam-packed bookcases, my Cattrike, four needlework projects and a bag of kayaking gear.

Glen, you mean like this: post-8-1150502054_thumb.jpg

Edited by havanaholly

My largest house is the Thornhill and I have plans to expand on it when I have the $$$. It has 11 rooms and two grand hallways, I left out some room dividers so I could have bigger rooms instead of many small ones.

My largest house in dimensions is the four-room vintage Batrie cottage, which is just a titch larger than the Arthur. (I know this because they sit on the same cart.)

My largest house in number of rooms is the Houseworks half-scale Colonial, which has seven rooms if you count the bathroom kitbash and the divided attic but not the hallways. Otherwise, several of my half-scale houses tie at six rooms, and the one with the largest dimensions is probably Marva & Brian's townhouse in the Target shelf unit.

When my pirates finally move into a McKinley, they'll have five rooms!

My quarter-scale Spanish hotel kit has a ton of rooms, but that project is so far in the future that I don't know the exact number.

I like small houses, though if I could find a second Target unit the same size (they're discontinued), I'd give Marva & Brian three more rooms and a row of shops.

I beileve the Garfield I am working on has 11 rooms. By the time I get done adding a second mirror image garfield to it it will have 22 rooms.

Melissa

WOW melissa!!! I can't wait to see the pics of that!! I have the Garfield as well and its huge alone. I can't imagine how enourmous (sp?) it will be with a second one attached!!

Besides, the Garfield boasts 10 or 11 rooms, but one of the "rooms" is the tiny tower section on the thrid floor! Great house, but kind of "false advertising" I think my Garfield only has 9 room that way I did it. I kept the living room/dining room area open I like it that way. Thinking of "stealing" Glen's idea and making a window in the kitchen making it a breakfast bar type area. That way the whole 1st floor flows nicely.

So of course I was sucked into looking at JaimieMarvon's Garfield photos... something in the color scheme and choice of windows/doors makes the house look really, really different. I mean that in an "Oh, cool! It's a great house, and there are even MORE varieties of ways to look at it!" way.

Are you talking about built or in kit form still :)

If you are talking about built, it would be the 1" scale tower I have been building. It is about 27" x 22" x40"

my biggest house in the box is the farmhouse 505 right now and I am not sure of the exact size :D but it is big.

Oh and my Pierce is still in the box too that I am gonna keep.

My garfield is the biggest with it's stardard 10 rooms and then with the addition there will be 5 extra rooms.

My harrison is a close 2nd with the walls I'm putting in it (I didn't like the factory ones) and the 'bump out' I gave it, it will have 10 rooms and 3 hallways. :D And yes some of the rooms are small but there is a reason, floating somewhere in my head, for that. :) I'll try to get pics of it so everyone can see. :lol:

I'm not really sure because i haven't checked the measurements, but either my Grosvenor hall or the queen anne II. They are both huge. I'm not really sure how many rooms the queen anne has, the Grosvenor has about 13 if you count the basement rooms (i'm counting the basement hallway as a room as it is a good size and I'm making it into the servants hall. I found a spot for the grosvenor and am excited because i was worried where to put it! Just need to shift around some things in my craft room and it will have a happy home!

My the most rooms I have in one house is 9 in my Granville

but it ranks a close tie with Catriona's Maquam Hill Mansion for general size

I always dreamed of a huge house....but I actually am very fond of the small houses

as I keep building I find the smaller houses my favorite to build and decorate.

but I do have major plans for a future Garfield....its going to be my castle.

and I will pass it on to my sweet Pixie Poo!

I have houses all over my house! Id really like to sell one but I couldnt pick one to do that too.

nutti :)

post-9-1150492577_thumb.jpgpost-9-1150492545_thumb.jpg the Granville

post-9-1150492629_thumb.jpg The Marquam Hill as is now

better Glen?

biggest house???

HHHHHHMMMMMMMM...

I have the newburg and I added 5 extra rooms (in the middle of it actually)

With 2 two story hallways and am making spiral stairs for each.

As far as the biggest I can dream????

Dangerous question!!!!

Wen

The house I am working on now is the Marquam Hill Mansion. It is a beast! I am pretty sure there are bigger houses out there but this is crane-worthy.

I'd say the biggest house as far as rooms go would be the yardsaledollhouse. I added hallways because a staircase should be in a hallway, not in a room. That gave me three more rooms, nine rooms in the main house. I turned the attic into a train room and a little boys room--so it now has 11 rooms, and I am planning on buying the wing to add to it so it will then have thirteen rooms--I'm still working on saving up for the siding kit and the wing kit.

Queen's Row is big just in width, not rooms--it has a total of eight rooms if counting the attic. Queen's Row has fallen by the wayside --I'm hoping to work on the grand entrance hall this weekend.

Most of my other houses are small cottages. The Arthur (Olde Shelby Cottage) is still being worked on, and until I get shelving on the walls in my display room, nix on the landscaped base I wanted to add to it.

As far as big houses, my sugarplum wizard's cottage has a landscaped base that is about four or five feet long, complete with cemetary. This is the most cumbersome house I have because of the base--not the cottage itself. When I first began to collect I went a little nuts with the landscaping.

my biggest house isn't a house at all. :lol: it is a mermaid grotto carved from a large block of styrofoam. :) it has 10 large rooms with sleeping platforms nooks and cranies. not many rooms but it is 4 feet wide and 3 and a half feet tall. it is my back burner project but i really hope to finish it this year. -holly :D

I have a Dura-craft Queen Anne that is pretty large, but doesn't really have a lot of rooms. If I had more space I would make a base for it and landscape it. Then there's the Garfield that is still in its box, because I don't have the space (or wide enough doors) to put it together right now. Probably the biggest house (room-wise) that isn't still in a box would be my Allison-Newberg kitbash that will have 11 rooms when it's done. Right now I'm trying to work out how to make it separable so I'll be able to fit it through our tiny doorways if we ever move.

This is a cool thread but (guilty hesitation) could some, or all, of you just go back up your posts and add one small picture? :)

Now I feel bad for adding this request but I'll post it anyway.

Sorry Lisa, don't mean to interfere.

Glen

I'm not really sure because i haven't checked the measurements, but either my Grosvenor hall or the queen anne II. They are both huge. I'm not really sure how many rooms the queen anne has, the Grosvenor has about 13 if you count the basement rooms (i'm counting the basement hallway as a room as it is a good size and I'm making it into the servants hall. I found a spot for the grosvenor and am excited because i was worried where to put it! Just need to shift around some things in my craft room and it will have a happy home!

I can post a pic of the house that i am currently building. The queen anne II and the duracraft victorian mansion pic's are not pic's that i have personally taken, but i am posting the pic's so that you can see what they look like. They all run quite large and i am too lazy to check to see which one is the biggest. :)

I can post a pic of the house that i am currently building. The queen anne II and the duracraft victorian mansion pic's are not pic's that i have personally taken, but i am posting the pic's so that you can see what they look like. They all run quite large and i am too lazy to check to see which one is the biggest. :D

The Grosvenor hall will be on a basement which has 5 rooms. I can't get a copy of the house because i would need permission from Dollshouse emporium, but if you are interested in the how the complete house looks, go to the www.dollshouseemporium.com site and take a peek!

This is a cool thread but (guilty hesitation) could some, or all, of you just go back up your posts and add one small picture? :)

Now I feel bad for adding this request but I'll post it anyway.

Sorry Lisa, don't mean to interfere.

Glen

Don't apologize, that was a great request! :D

I'm envious of everyone's ability to bash their kits & add rooms, making them bigger. Something I'll have to aspire to eventually - cause when I look at the kits I have, I can't even imagine a logical way to make them bigger/give them more rooms. Hopefully that will come with experience - 'cause if it's just a knack that some people have and some people don't - then I'm afraid I'm in the "don't" category :lol:

thanks for the encouragement Holly :D

I'm sure hoping that with more experience my houses will look better and I will "see" ways to bash them that won't leave them looking like bad garage sale finds :)

My dollhouse, I only have one at the moment is a Houseworks Colonial house that my husband built from scratch about 20 years ago and yes, I will take photo's when I finish renovating it! It has nine rooms but he also built an extension which gives it 11 rooms and a sort of patio garden. My dream house would be a small English style cottage which I will hopefully get when this monster is done.

Joan