BH living room pics

Anya

post-227-1145873216_thumb.jpgI have added one pic of my living room. It is not finished yet. I still have to put in the coving, skirting, door, door frames and the rest of the dado rail amongst other things. I managed to move the door to the angled wall and I am so pleased it worked out.

I need some advice about the dado rail though. Should it be set inline with the top of the fire place (the mantle I think its called)? At the moment the dado rail goes in line with the window sill and I think that it looks weird once it reaches the fireplace. Luckily I have not put much dado rail up so I can easily adjust it.

There are more pics of the room in my gallery under 'Beacon hill with extension'.

post-227-1145873275_thumb.jpg

Wendi,

Love the look of your livingroom, I love that you have gone with more contempory furniture. Looked in your gallery and the house is looking amazing.

I love your kittys, very cute. Did you see the pic i posted in the other post about moving the door?

Jenn

Wendi,

Love the look of your livingroom, I love that you have gone with more contempory furniture. Looked in your gallery and the house is looking amazing.

I love your kittys, very cute. Did you see the pic i posted in the other post about moving the door?

Jenn

Wendi, I don't think your dado rail would look as wierd meeting the fireplace at windowsill level as meeting the windows at mantle level. You COULD make built-in bookcases to flank the fireplace and let the rail met there, or else trim the fireplace sides up to the mantle.

I am so jealous! Why cant my house look that good..

Okay question... What do you do to cover the seams in the baseboards, wainscotting, etc. It annoys me! No matter how well I sanded and squished them together, it isnt a perfect fit.

Wendi,

Ive been reading my book American Period interiors in miniature. It has a little write up on dados.

The dado began the period at the familiar height and grew so that in some houses it reached up three-quarters of the wall. Often it and other woodwork were of softwood and painted graining in imitation of finer stock. Dadoes might be covered with straw matting and fabric(from burlap to silk) as well as paper, paint, and in some instances, paneling. During approximately the last third of the century a deste developed for tile boarders along the lower wall. The chair rail to run atop the dado was much wider in Victorian homes, sometimes carring its own special design.

Hope this is helpfull, the book has had lots of great suggestions.

Jenn

Wendi, your living room is just amazing. =) It looks so real! I love it!

Should it be set inline with the top of the fire place?

I wouldn't change the dado rail - I think it's the perfect hight. I don't think it would look weird once it reached the fireplace. But if you prefer it inline with the top of the mantle - this will look nice too! :lol:

Wow!Your BH is beautiful!At first glance I thought it was a real contemporary living room.The dado looks good where it is,but I used to work in a building with a dado that was even with the fireplace mantle,panelled underneath the dado, and it looked really good that way ,too.Try putting a little tape rolled up under your dado and try sticking it on the walls at different heights and see which height you like the best.

Wendi

Your living room is fabulous! I just looked at all your pictures and you do beautiful work. I only hope once I get some more experience, mine will look half that good. You must be an extremely patient person! Love the kitties too. Afterall, a house isn't a home without kitties.

I have no idea what a dado rail is, a dado's a joint in my vocab. And a really boring singer, though that might be Dido. Anyhoo, if the rail follows the paper change then I'd definitely go with the sill level.

What is a Dado rail anyway?

Okay I Wiki'd it. DEFINITELY go with window sill level, unless you plan on having really tall chairs in there. As for the fireplace, if the rail looks weird going right up to the fireplace, I'd just stop it at the breast.

Thanks for all the praise. Now if I could only get my head through the door hehe :lol:.

Really I still have no idea about the dado rail. I think I will just experiment and see where it looks best.

Tonight the coving, skirting and door frames are going in.

The bathroom is almost complete now. All I need to do is put up the blind, shower curtain and find a shower to put above the bath. No one knows where I could get one by any chance?

Doogster, the Dado rail is a bit like a skirting board only it goes between the skirting and the coving on the wall.

Thank you everyone for your advice.

NO just decided about the dado It will go in line with the fireplace. I will be having floor length curtains so that will hide the dado when it reaches the window. I think it just might work.

I'll keep you all updated.

find a shower to put above the bath. No one knows where I could get one by any chance?

Selected sprues leftover from your Chrysnbon kit bash into plumbing fixtures. You can also make plumbing fixtures of polymer clay and mold a showerhead, or use a jewelry finding like a small bellcap :lol: .

The bathroom is almost complete now. All I need to do is put up the blind, shower curtain and find a shower to put above the bath. No one knows where I could get one by any chance?

Brass wire and tubing, available at most hobby shops, if not near you, look for model railroad shops. And you can get tubing so thin it will snuggly wrap the wire, cuts and bends very easily. And you don't even have to finish it. I glue the stuff with super glue, Zap-a-Gap if you like spending money, Flash is good, Loctite's Quicktite line is just as good for half the price. For the head, dunno, lathe perhaps?

NO just decided about the dado It will go in line with the fireplace. I will be having floor length curtains so that will hide the dado when it reaches the window. I think it just might work.

I'll keep you all updated.

From what I've read a Dado rail is the same thing as a chair rail (that's according to Wiki-so it could be wrong) so mantle height seems a bit high. Though if you're using the rail to separate 2 colours of wallpaper I see where you're going.

From what I've read a Dado rail is the same thing as a chair rail (that's according to Wiki-so it could be wrong) so mantle height seems a bit high. Though if you're using the rail to separate 2 colours of wallpaper I see where you're going.

That's exactly what it's for in my house anyway. To separate the colours.

I know I said I would finish the room off the other night but I still haven't. :)