Painting Exterior

SugarPie

:( I'm getting very frustrated painting the exterior of my dollhouse. It was a very dark pink, so I put a coat of Kilz over that. Then I have added 2 coats of acrylic paint, but I don't like the results I'm getting. I'm not getting a very uniform look to it. I have tried a foam brush and a soft paintbrush, but I don't like either one. Do I need to just keep adding coats?

I don't have any experience in trying to cover up old paint, but I can tell you that I used 3 or 4 coats of paint on the exterior of my house (after priming) before I was satisfied with the finish. I also sanded in between all but the last coat or 2 of paint.

I used a regular craft paint brush for the first couple of coats and did the last 2 coats using a sponge brush. Rather than using craft paint, I used one of the Sherwin Williams Color-to-Go paints.

It was a lot of work, but I'm pleased with the results. I probably used more paint than necessary, but I was trying to get a finished look that resembled vinyl siding, rather than wood siding (I have an MDF house that has milled siding on the exterior).

I always have to apply several coats, sanding between each -- a lot of sanding after the first couple, then less after the 3rd. Usually the 4th coat covers, especially when I'm going from a particularly dark color to a lighter one.

I put a coat of flat latex white over the Kilz and I've never had any trouble with subsequent coats of any type of paint.

Elicia

LLonSSinSC

I had trouble with uneven color too. And I was working with bare wood. I tried using a 3 inch roller. It worked really well for me. Gives it a bit of texture that I liked. And was very quick!

I covered up bright purple on a rehab house,took it to cream,took 4 coats of cream plus a base coat under before it looked good. If your really unhappy with it,why not use this as an opportunity to use a different finish,like paperclay or ??? Lots of alternatives to painting out there! Have you thought of just siding over the old paint?

Sounds like sanding might be helpful to smooth out the brush marks, but I agree with dollhouse diva. I had a rehab and spray painted the whole thing white (which became my trim color) then taped off the trim and used textured spraypaint that looks like stucco. Have fun and experiment! You can see pics of it in my Westville gallery if you're interested.

What way are you using the brush. If you have siding, going with the grain at least makes it look appropriate with a couple brush strokes. But yes you may need more coats. Is your paint glossy or matt?

What exterior treatment do you have?

Mildred's interior was painted without priming with all sorts of rich (read, DEEP/ dark) colors that I'm using heat gun, scraper and sandpaper to try to take down to the wood so that when I prime it won't look too ghastly. Of course, some of the wood came up with previous disassembly, and my handiwork had similar results, so there shall be spackle and more sanding and then probably gesso before primer, just to get a decent surface. The exterior paint job is truly nasty, but doesn't matter because after the heat gun & scraper & enough sanding to give the old paint "tooth" I'll paint it grout color and then side/ shingle/ stone to Mildred's heart's content.