Tudor Progress

pdlnpeabody

OMG Jeremy, I have just read this post, your family is adorable, and I am so happy the little one is now home with you all, he and his sister look adorable.

As for the Tudor OMG it is amazing, love the brick work and the cellar doors.

Cheers Debra.

What beautiful children you have, and a lovely wife! I'll bet you are so proud of all of them.

Your Tudor is looking great! Can't wait to see the finished product. :hug:

:hug: :):( Very glad to hear that your son finally came home. You have a lovely family and I wish good health and happiness for all. ....Oh, and your Tudor is tops.LOL :(:p

Thanks again!

Fortunately my kids look more like their mother! BTW, thats my mother-in-law holding Jaden in the pic.

My family definitely comes first. I just don't want this Tudor house to become another marathon build like the Victorian. It shouldn't take years to build one dollhouse.

It shouldn't take years to build one dollhouse.
You're still a very young man, aren't you, Jeremy? Actually a well-built dollhouse such as you are building should take YEARS to build. Who are you in a race with? This is a hobby, isn't it?

Besides, remember that they aren't babies for long-then they pretend they don't know you in public for the next ten to fifteen years. Enjoy them while they still think you are perfect, and they ARE perfect! The dollhouse will still be there.

You're still a very young man, aren't you, Jeremy? Actually a well-built dollhouse such as you are building should take YEARS to build. Who are you in a race with? This is a hobby, isn't it?

I'm in my mid-thirties and I'm not getting any younger. :hug: I do like to put quality work into my projects, but I have the technique down to a near science and I know I could build one in 6 months if I didn't have a day job or any other obstacles holding things up. The race is my daughter. I don't want to procrastinate until she's a teenager who couldn't care less about a dollhouse. My dad procrastinated on promises he made with my siblings and I until we were all grown and gone. I know he meant well, but he shouldn't have "dangled the carrot" for all those years. Now that the house is started, I can't unring the bell.

Besides, I have so many other projects I want to build and only a few decades left to do them in.

Another posting regarding the lighthouse kit has me wanting to build a windmill like the one from the movie "Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang." Another idea is a cut away model of an old three masted sailing ship. Both of those projects will need time too.

I'm in my mid-thirties and I'm not getting any younger.
Ah! I see (?). I didn't start building dhs much or making minis until well into my 50s (actually didn't get into dolls, food or furniture much until after we retired). Your daughter would probably be happy with a kit house until she gets older and you can present her with the finished Tudor when she is still "into" dollhouses and old enough to appreciate all the twiddly little realistic details. Or build her a "simpler" modern house, like Glen did for his little princess, and as she gets old enough for the Tudor she can help you with some of the finishing and learn the skills to make miniatures her hobby, too.

• 8 months later...

I guess I'm impatient to see the ideas I have in my head take solid form. The house building is also an alternative to my motorcycle riding addiction since I can't leave the house most of the time.

BTW, Jaden is almost walking and nearly as big as his big sister. He'll be a year old in just over a month!

• 10 months later...

Ok, I need some more opinions.

I painted the areas between the rafters in the living room's coffered ceiling, but I'm thinking about making the entire ceiling wood paneled. The large panels I used to cover the joists had gaps I had to fill in with putty, so painting them was the obvious solution and the light (antique white) areas refract light better than dark panels. On the other side of the coin, all wood ceilings would look classy and there should be plenty of lights in the room to counter the dark mahogeny finish. This will require making panels for the recessed spaces, but that isn't an overwhelming obstacle.

So my question is, should I leave the ceiling as it is, or panel the entire thing?

Thanks for your help!

How much elegance are you going for and how formal is the room? If it's a Roccoco diningroom, great room or foyer you might wat the light colored paint and routed molding. If you're just doing plain beams, like for a library or parlor, the wood celings might be better suited; but in 1"12 mahogany might still be a bit too dark, and perhaps an oak might look less forboding. You'd also want lots of plaid furniture and huge hunting paintings hanging on the wall.

Thanks Holly!

I'm going for elegant, and the beams will have added trim (I don't have a router, so it will be wood strips stacked in a pattern) but the antique white might be out of place. The room will have 2 chandeliers and 5 sconch lights, so it will probably be well lit. Big paintings on at least two walls is also in the design.

I cut and stained the inserts, but they aren't installed, so I may take pics of both styles after the trim is added to the beams in a couple of days.

I think the stained wooden ceiling panels would be quite appropriate for Tudor; but I'll have to see it in mahogany, I guess. Have you also checked it with oak? I'm thinking mahogany might also be a bit exotic for Tudor, but the finished effect will tell the tale.

True, but technically, my Tudor is a modern house with a Tudor inspired exterior. It was also built in the U.S.

I took a photo with the mahogeny inserts, but for some reason my cellphone won't send the pic to my email. I'll try again later today.

• 10 months later...

Ok, I have another option roadblock. When I started sketching this house I had planned to panel the kitchen's exterior and paint it white. After looking at images of real Tudor structures it would appear that the tradition style leaves brick and plaster alone, but everything else on the exterior is black. On the other hand, this is a modern American interpretation that only mimicks Tudor themes on the exterior. The turret windows are already white and a white kitchen would continue that theme. I'm thinking the same thing with the dining room window frame. My first instinct is to leave the dining room window exterior frame black (like the kitchen window frames) and paint the kitchen white. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

This is the partially paneled kitchen.

post-587-0-11140000-1318220982_thumb.jpg

Jeremy, since this is a modern adaptation of the Tudor, I don't see why you can't do what you want. I like the black and white. Very nice!

Ok, I have another option roadblock. When I started sketching this house I had planned to panel the kitchen's exterior and paint it white. After looking at images of real Tudor structures it would appear that the tradition style leaves brick and plaster alone, but everything else on the exterior is black. On the other hand, this is a modern American interpretation that only mimicks Tudor themes on the exterior. The turret windows are already white and a white kitchen would continue that theme. I'm thinking the same thing with the dining room window frame. My first instinct is to leave the dining room window exterior frame black (like the kitchen window frames) and paint the kitchen white. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

This is the partially paneled kitchen.

The black half-timbering was a Victorian Tudor-revival touch, I believe; original Tudor structures' timbers aged to whatever color environmental factors and age turned them. I'm with Casey' this is a modern interpretation of Tudor, go with what looks right to you.