Tudor Progress

pdlnpeabody

Ahhhh >sigh of bliss< I could look through your pics for ever Jeremy, they are really showing a true masterpiece! Thank you so much for sharing with us, loving it and follow the progress eagerly!

Hugs

• 2 months later...

Ahhhh >sigh of bliss< I could look through your pics for ever Jeremy, they are really showing a true masterpiece! Thank you so much for sharing with us, loving it and follow the progress eagerly!

Hugs

Thanks Anna!

Sorry I haven't responded in a while. I hope to start back on the house during the holiday breaks coming up.

• 1 month later...

I'm still repairing the living room wiring, but another idea has cropped up. I probably won't do it, but I was thinking of remodeling the area above the driveway. Basically, I would remove the roof of the little utility building and walkway, build a deck covering the entire area and extend the 2nd floor to the far end of the little building. The addition would be one large man cave, with big screen tv, billiards and a bar. It might be neat, but the more I look at it the more I fear it would thow off the balance of the house. Maybe something to consider when I build the next house. I might draw it out on a copy of the original sketch before I decide.

I wish I had photos of my grandmother's best friend's house, which was a big ol' Victorian mansion in Shaker Heights, Cleveland with a port cochere like you descrbe; it was rigged out as a library with windows and window seats around three walls and bookcases on the fourth wall, and I LIVED there whenever we visited. Western Reserve University bought it along about the time I was in late elementary school and used it as a frat house until it was torn down to expand the campus.

The small building on the left will remain a utility room for tools, a lawnmower, maybe an old bike, etc. I'm still not certain if I should add the room above it. It will definitely become more bulky. I'm wondering if it will throw off the balance of the house, or improve it.

Jeremy, the bulk of the 2-storey addition over the open space for the driveway seems to be to throw off the balance of the facade. Without the addition, it feels to me like a canoe with an outrigger -- balanced and stable. With a "hole" through the house under the addition, it seems disconcertingly off.

Did you not at one time mention possible making a deck/patio over the driveway and utility building? That might be a possibility. Or a single room over the driveway, just one storey tall with a flat roofline or one that slants upward toward the wall of the house.

I'm sure whatever you decide will be up to your high standards ... this is only my opinion, of course!

Hmm, this is a tough call. I love the idea of the "carriage" house all by itself since it is a throwback to a different era. However, I'd love to see you tackle the man cave! :D Maybe a room box for the man cave and keep the Tudor more "pure" to its roots?

Haha, I agree with Brae, there. But I do like the idea of a deck.... Of course, now that things are slowing down in my life (a little bit) I can just come drool on it...er, by it.... in person. :D

Thanks for everyone's opinions! I was concerned it would make the house look too bulky or off-balance. I had even thought about giving the addition a lower roof, but it would still look odd. Although the house is modern, the exterior has to stay within certain parameters to fit the Tudor theme, so a deck would definitely be out of place. The man cave will have to wait for another house.

Lyssa, as long as my wife is home, (like today) you're welcome to stop by and see the houses.

• 2 months later...

Ok, so I have another issue with my ill-conceived floorplan, and I need some opinions (again).

The original sketch had two wide, 3 panel windows on the 2nd floor. While it looks nice from the exterior, its reaking havoc on the interior floorplan. The 2nd floor landing needs enough space to walk around to the next staircase, so it can't be any more narrow than the foyer. However, that would put the wall between the bedroom and landing off-center of the window. The original design called for 3 window panels, so that isn't a major problem. I can live with a window off-center in the landing. But when I line up the far wall in the bedroom the two window casements become a real issue. If I set the wall at the same distance as the other window casement, the windows look even, flanking the center of the wall. The room is still 14" across, which should be plenty of space to furnish / decorate. I'm just not certain there will still be enough room for a dresser or something else. Will the room look unbalanced with two different size windows?

I have posted two pics in my Tudor gallery showing how the far wall will look with the walls centered or offset. Please let me know which would be better.

At this point in construction I'm worried about the exterior of the house looking balanced. A mis-mash of windows on a large, flat wall will probably look disorganized and haphazard. I could draw up some sketches tonight, but I have a hunch the look of the house will suffer if I change the window shapes and sizes now.

I commented in the gallery that symetrical or asymetrical isn't the issue with me, it's the fact that the windows run slap dash against the adjoining walls. I'm thinking of the mini housewife trying to decide how to dress those windows. I see her scratching her head.

Tudor houses seem to me to be somewhat organic. Perhaps the appearance of exterior symetry could be achieved via the timbering?

I had to let go of the idea that the windows were "set in stone" but I'm ready to consider the possibility of rebuilding the exterior wall with 3 smaller windows lining up with the rooms inside. The photo was taken with my cellphone, so it isn't focused, but I drew up a quick sketch of the house with 3 windows instead of 2.

post-587-0-56684400-1334770681_thumb.jpg

If I keep equal spacing between them, this may work. If this is the way to go, I only have to re-frame the wall instead of rebuild everything.