Tudor Progress

pdlnpeabody

I like the three small windows, too! I certainly to need to force some time in to swing by your pad and see the houses. :D Just been so busy lately with work and prepping for the move.

Holly, I have not abandoned ship! But I will make it a point to be more vocal on a regular basis.

Most of the parts for the new wall have been cut and I started assembly of it this evening. The only window that won't be center is the one in the 2nd floor landing. It is slightly to the left, but the staircase is on the right, so it may balance outl.

• 4 weeks later...

Walls are going up, the 2nd floor inlay is moving ahead of schedule and I only have a couple complicated parts of the house left to build. The rest is routine. It won't be finished when I take it to Philadephia in November, but it might be finished in time for Chicago next April.

At this point I can almost see the attic rooms clearly in my mind, but the bathroom on the 2nd floor is another story. It will have tile, but I don't want to make a carbon copy of the Victorian's bath. I have an idea for making corner tiles that transition between floor and wall tile, but I don't know whether to tile several inches up the walls or keep them 1 tile high. Sort of like a tile baseboard look. Another question is the colors for the bath. I'm almost thinking of warm browns and tans, but I just don't know.

In our Sears kit house (built in 1906-07) the upstairs bath had the hexagonal white tile floor and ceramic glazed tiles in colors for baseboard and lower half-wall, like a tile wainscot, with a decorative border at the top.

I've laid a few of those back in my "tile setter's apprentice" days. I put down tile in both houses and businesses, and saw some great designs. I'm thinking about building an oversized tub with a tiled base built around it too. I just can't come up with a color pattern. There's so many options when building a modern house.

I wouldn't want to cut hexagonal tiles out of styrene by hand, but I bet it looks nice in your house.

La Casita's bathroom is the only one I've done that was inspired by that RL one in our Sears' house:

gallery_8_1766_72161.jpg

and Ino polystyrene was harmed in any way; every single tile is a cut-up paint sample chip.

That's the same location as the Tudor's bath! 2nd floor, far left side. I'm still looking at websites for inspiration. I have a couple of months before I get to that room, but I don't want to find myself unprepared when that time comes.

• 3 months later...

I just finished painting and installing half of the decorative border tile. They're half the width of the other tiles but twice the length. After drawing out the room I realized that light colors would be a must due to the small room size. I think it will work out, but it looks awfully narrow.

I'm trying to hold off from posting photos of the bathroom's progress. I will have photos to put up, along with progress shots of the tub.

We don't observe any of the upcoming holidays, so that isn't a problem. In fact, the extra days home from work allow me to get more done. My wife's desire to visit her family in Texas this December is a must, but I can bring some modular components to work on (hopefully). My original calculations when I first started, put the finish date around November 2014, but I'm so far ahead of schedule I think it will be close to the start of CI 2013. If it isn't finished when I load it on the trailer, I will still have a couple of days to work on it after I get there.

Unfortunately, it will be the only house I have on display this time.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just a quick update. There are only 2 walls left to finish on the 2nd floor, the Tudor framing on the exterior walls is being made at the moment and I will probably have it finished and installed by this weekend. Not sure if I'll have anything to bring on the trip to Texas next week, but I have a few more days to plan.

Can't wait to meet you Holly and Kathie!

Holly,

I just sent you an email. Let me know if you didn't get it. If by some chance we get delayed excessively on our way west, we might re-schedule to meet up on the return trip. I don't expect any major delays, but I'm thinking we might have to make a greater number of stops for the kids now that one of them is toilet trained.

I sent you the directions. Our middle son uses his GPS to navigate, rather than use the printoff of his mom's directions to the house last Thanksgiving and they arrived after half an hour of exploring the subdivision they were routed through before they discovered the street the GPS had routed them on hasn't gone through to our street since their neighborhood association fenced off the intersection and let it grow over some years ago.

I think I'll bake cookies.

• 1 month later...

I'm looking for my uploading cable, but I took a few photos of the nearly finished bathroom and bedroom last night. With the Orlando show coming up in just a few days, I'm working frantically to get the roof back to its original form. Although the house is months away from its completion date, I want to at least show her final form.

I'll also be relived to finally get all five of the turret window casements permanently installed.