I just got a gypsy wagon kit off of ebay!

ilovecats

• 8 months later...

I understand about Ebay. I sold there for about ten years and got fed up with it. i'll check etsy.

By the way, someone mentioned Breyer horses, and the classic size does work well. But I discovered a line of animals at Michael's that have some wonderful draft horses, very realistic looking! I don't know about the wagons, but I bought a long horn steer for my farmhouse and the scale is very good. I don't think Breyer carries any draft horses that i have seen.

ooo Debra!! I remember seeing something about boats in the old world that were pulled along, on the coast paths, by horses! great idea!!

Sherry, ebay was great a few years ago but really has gotten horrible!! I am always looking around for good horses...i ended up getting a draft horse colt in a different scale from breyer that will actualy work good, and then a few small scale for 1/2 scale wagons...thanks for the info...our nearest michael's is in the big city of Albuquerque 2 hrs away LOL....I will have to check them out!

...boats in the old world that were pulled along, on the coast paths, by horses!
Canal boats? I think those are SO cool!
...a few small scale for 1/2 scale wagons...
Do you make kits for 1:24 wagone & vardos?

I don't know why you couldn't. Gypsies travel in RV's out here, I assume they could travel by boat as well.

I checked the Schleich horses but they are 1:20 scale, so a bit small, and that maybe what the horses at Michael's are. As I said, the steer was very, very close to 1:12, though, so they may be a bit larger than Schleich.

The problem with the Breyer Classic size horses is their poses and their breeds. They seem to all be running, rearing up, or eating-no nice pleasant, pull a wagon walking! Nor do they make any large breed horses that would be suitable for pulling it.

I know Sherry! frustrating...i found one i really liked, forget the name but it was white with black spots like the gypsy cobs kind of....but I dont want to use the same horse all the time! LOL and you are so right about their stances!!! I need that nice waiting horse or a slowly trodding one that is built! Funny while I have two horses myself I cannot seem to easily sculpt them or else I would LOL they seem to allude me

Thats a good idea, especially for the other types of wagons I want to make...the gypsies (even today when they live stationary) reverred their horses and from what i have read have bred them to be unlike any other horse so people dont steal them! It is their gold

You know, I'm talking about 35 years ago, and things probably have changed. But there used to be a band of gypsies that traveled around and would come in the department store where I worked. I was in the home decor section as assistant buyer, and they loved Dresden figurines. The older lady would actually buy them, while the others carried off everything in sight. They were quite good at it too, would just pick up a tv and walk off like they'd bought it and no one would get suspicious, if they hadn't been warned ahead of time that the gypsies were in the store. Off subject, I was just meaning to say that this group still travelled, in RV's!