MDF - it's some wierd stuff, any tips??

Started my Victoria's Farmhouse after being scared of it for 6 months. :console:

I'm finding the MDF to be a whole different ballgame than plywood.

Anything in particular I should know before I royally screw something up?? The MDF is just freaking me out, I'm not sure why- guess its just something different is all!

That's funny, Wendy, I was just thinking the same thing tonight as I was cleaning off the Victoria's Farmhouse I got yesterday! It feels so different. I haven't tried sanding or anything yet. I don't have any tips as this is my first experience too, but I'll be watching this thread!

I can't help you, back when I built the Grand Ballroom roombox, which is MDF, Darrell Payne (who was building the RGT Country Church with Melissa) and I decided we despise working with MDF; we prefer wood! Good luck to you both.

It's not that different really. Sand in one direction. 3 light coats of paint with light sanding inbetween. It makes up to look very nice, and it doesn't warp! I made a plywood San Fran and made this one, and there's really very little difference in working with them other than the weight, unless you are wanting to cut it. If you do, be sure to use a mask.

Oh, i'm not saying I prefer it, just that it works fine and there are some nice houses made of mdf that I wouldn't mind having because of their design. I wouldn't NOT buy a house I want just because it's mdf.

The only problems I had with my MDF house (Victorian Cottage Jr) was that it was harder to repair if I accidently nailed too close to the edge and split the board. But the finish was really easy, I only did two coats of paint and I was very happy with how smooth and pretty it looked.

Since I built that one to stand up to 4 yr old girls, I wouldn't have dreamed of using any other material. I still stand by that decision, and it's still standing!

My only suggestions for MDF is if by chance you do get a nail in the wrong spot, by all means pull that thing out with plyers. Do not try to use the claws on the hammer! It can bruise quite easily under those circumstances. Do not drop parts on the corners, the chunk will come off and the end swells. It is heavy, and it's best if you have a helper, but my DH can for the most part put them together alone. It needs minimal sanding,(the dust is toxic, so wear a mask and clean it up right after) do not burn any leftover parts in the fireplace,( for same reason) forget staining, go for paint, as there is no grain in it. 3 coats as mentioned does a nice job. They are heavy, but beautiful houses. Best of luck! You can build it!

OK, I feel a bit better now :)

I want to move the staircases to the far right side of the house (as you're looking at the back). I don't like where they are in the middle of the house- they just seem too bulky. I'm planning to use an xacto to cut the new ones. Hope that will work. (no Wolfie, I'm not gonna try using an axe... ;) )

I took long, close looks at the made-up DC MDF houses at HL and I really was not impressed with the appearance of the finish. The design of the houses was lovely, but MDF looks like MDF IMO.

The houses at Hobby Lobby are put together by the in-house assembler. They spray paint the shell, and don't sand anything. It's like cutting out plywood. You have to take the time to do it right in order for it to look good. I still say that I pick a house out because of the design, not the materials. But having different ideas and opinions is what makes us interesting!

I've chosen the MDF San Fran as my first dollhouse to build and I honestly don't have anything bad to say about it yet. I actually like the sturdy feel of it and I haven't had too many issues working with it (keep in mind I only have the basic shell together and painted).

I do have a Beacon Hill in the box and when I opened it for the first time it scared me to death! There's so many pieces and they seem so thin compared to that of a MDF house. If I hadn't seen all of the beautiful plywood houses in the gallery, I may have never realized that thin does not equal flimsy.

So, in the end, I don't know that I will have a real preference. I guess all that matters to me is the house, and not what it's made of. :p

I only know that I like the feel and look of real wood vs. MDF. and I agree with Holly that MDF is always going to look like MDF........Seems like plywood is much easier to work and bash with. I had a toybox made out of that and that is what I am bashing my experience on. How hard is it to modify MDF? It seems awfully difficult... but I could be VERY wrong... I'm not downing the material, just wanting to know...

I do realize that if I found the perfect house I would buy it in MDF (budget allowing of course).

I have been reading closely about the lighting (with mdf) and this particular post as I'm looking for a future build. I do like some of the frames......but would of course like to change them and I just don't think it would be possible...

Please prove me wrong!

S

Not quite sure of the question. MDF is easy to work with, it's great stuff. Just imagine it as plywood without a grain. Titebond 2 seems to be the choice of modern luthiers, so you know it's the way to go.

I like to exploit the apearance of the woodgrain and play with stains, so the grain really is a big deal for me; and I really like the feel & smell of plywood, as well as the lighter weight and easier working properties. If I wanted to build sturdy, solid & heavy I'd go with reinforced concrete!

• 4 months later...

It is all glued together. And I haven't had any of it chip, swell, or break, even through the mover's abuse. I didn't try to light it but that's because I don't want to mess with lighting, not because of the mdf.

I think both styles of houses have benefits. I just got a Vermont Farmhouse, JR and it is really lovely! And, as much as I like some of the plywood houses, I have one to be rehabbed (and no, I won't say which one because it is a popular house) that is so flimsy that I wonder if it is even WORTH rehabbing! I will, of course - but I believe I will have to strengthen it with something much stronger than its original plywood to bring it back. Also, I have to really work with the junction splices on the thinner plywood houses to keep them from shifting & being a problem.

I hate it when sides are drawn because I think every single dollhouse can be a gem, and frankly, I think the final outcome has more to do with the builder than the kit. I've seen wonderful kits turned into shoddy unattractive dollhouses, and I've seen cheap and poorly made kits turned into little treasures.

I'm building my 10-year-old daughter's Victoria's Farmhouse currently and I personally have no objection to the MDF and find it much more user friendly than punching pieces that splinter and split out of the sheets. I'm learning as I go and am about to do the tape wiring so am going to order the punch tool from Dejoux with their 20% off sale currently going on. Incidentally, DH who is busy with hay just now said that maybe I need to have a mini fire truck on standby when I try the wiring just in case.! :yes: B)

Jody

I've got a RGT Allison, Jr in the box and of course I had to take it out to look at it! Mine is MDF and I really like not only the strong, solid frame but the model they showed at the store where I bought it. I think the finishing technique used can make a lot of difference on the MDF, because the one I saw that inspired me to buy my own was just beautiful. I have never been one to believe in being critical about something just because I've got my mind made up. I like to give new things a try, and to look at their potential instead of their flaws. I've got some real favorite rehab houses that would have never happened if I had looked at their flaws instead of their nice "bones" and I am SO glad I had enough sense to look beyond!

My experience with MDF was building a roombox, and I had no issues with the qualities of the material other than discovering that I, personally, prefer to work with wood. MDF is heavy and dense, which are great qualities for certain applications, even for dh kits. Wood and plywood work better for me as an individual.

Differences between kit manufactureres and their materials and processes used are not, IMO, appropriate subjects for debate here, because they are such personal, subjective topics; I far prefer to discuss ideas for building, bashing and making miniatures.

Differences between kit manufactureres and their materials and processes used are not, IMO, appropriate subjects for debate here, because they are such personal, subjective topics; I far prefer to discuss ideas for building, bashing and making miniatures.

Nobody was discussing differences between manufacturers nor their processes (I saw NO comparisons drawn). As far as the material debate, any member that has concerns or questions about any material is certainly welcome to voice their concern and ask other members what experiences or opinions they have about it.

I've chosen the MDF San Fran as my first dollhouse to build and I honestly don't have anything bad to say about it yet. I actually like the sturdy feel of it and I haven't had too many issues working with it (keep in mind I only have the basic shell together and painted).

I do have a Beacon Hill in the box and when I opened it for the first time it scared me to death! There's so many pieces and they seem so thin compared to that of a MDF house. If I hadn't seen all of the beautiful plywood houses in the gallery, I may have never realized that thin does not equal flimsy.

So, in the end, I don't know that I will have a real preference. I guess all that matters to me is the house, and not what it's made of. :yes:

Hi Dawn, I am working on the SF557 right now, having built the Beacon Hill right before that-- the BH was much more intellectually challenging for me and I enjoyed that aspect of it. I have to say that for me, the SF is not nearly as much fun to build as the BH, and does not have near the complexity. It is my first MDF house (probably my last) and I can't say that I'm a fan of the thickness and weight, and I actually miss all the sanding and prepwork that the die-cut houses require...! The SF is a nice enough house, though, and I am concentrating on the interiors and getting the look I want there. One thing's for sure, the SF will not fall apart anytime soon, and my niece will have to hammer on it pretty hard to do much damage. But the Westville just arrived, from Joann's 50%-off sale, and I'm looking forward to getting back to die-cut (though I will be good and finish the SF first)...

Just my 2 cents about the two houses-- looking forward to seeing your renditions of both!

My very first-ever kit build was the all-wood SF555; talk about a learning curve! But it's a gorgeous house when done, regardless of what it's made out of! and your niece is in for lots of wonderful play with it.