My Brookwood...

uppitycats

Well, as "done" as any dollhouse ever really is, around here!! ;) Still bits and pieces of trim to do, and of course furnishing it (I've got LOADS of stuff to put in it!), and the furkids of Catterville are getting ready to hire a manager of the Brookwood Meeting House....

but it basically is done. There are more pics in my gallery. :lol:

post-35-1235070240_thumb.jpg

post-35-1235070264_thumb.jpg

Wow, great work! Do the fireplace/chimneys come with the Brookwood, or is that something you added? :wave: Guess I could go look, but don't won't to jump out of the forum!

Martha

The chimney and fireplaces are part of the kit, and are wood, and are the "core" to the building. The staircase wraps around the fireplace, and the floors and roof connect to it and use it as supporting structure. I added the brickwork (Houseworks bricks..real brick..if anyone's interested..). That was tricky, as I had to trim the bricks to accommodate the floor and stairs, but it all worked out in the end. A few swear words colored the air, I have to admit.. :welcome:

I'm getting ready to put it in place today, and put in the furniture. I'll take more pics if I get that far.. :p

I like the Bromley templates for shaping bricks and stone, in fact I have one for the stone fireplaces in my GM house. Everything's still in the planning stage, so am interested in how others have done fireplaces. I was thinking of making the fireplace and chimneys from wood, then covering with paper clay or something similar, then pressing the mold into the clay. My fireplace will extend from bottom to top of the two story house, so could be used for support like Ann's in the Brookwood.

Loved the pictures, too.

Martha

Martha, I've played with Peggi's stencils and I think if you use them for bricks you'll want to use spackle or joint compound, rather than pressing the paperclay with the stencil. If you use paperclay, check out Linda's blogs for her brickwork; I think you'd be happier with scribing your bricks into the clay.

BTW, I posted a link to a paperclay recipe site in one of the other threads: http://www.ehow.com/how_2025665_make-paperclay.html He made plaster slabs to roll the clay out on, they soak up all the water to dry the clay out for storage so it won't rot.

Hm-m-m, my chimney is stone, not brick. I searched far and wide to find a stencil that matched my grandmother's. So I do want to mold, but don't know if I should try to make sheets, then after it's dry try to glue it on, or put the stuff on the chimney then mold with the stencil before it dries. And the stuff? Will spackle be stiff enough to mold in place? I've used paper clay a little, didn't like working it flat in sheets, but like the consistency of it. I'll try the DIY clay, too. And I did consider using egg cartons, but felt that the stencil would be more authentic. Not sure I could get the stone feel that I want. Just have to experiment I guess. Nice part is that I'll be able to work on it separate from the DH, so it will be easy to get to.

Holly, thanks for your help! :)

Martha

Wow! That's just superb! I know I couldn't ever get that much detail out of carving. Your whole DH is really beautiful! I can see why you're the "Queen of Spackle!" Must take a lot of patience and determination to get results like that. I've got to work on that! I'm spending too much time figuring out and not enough practice. Or as my old uncle used to say, "All talk and no do!"

Today I put in baseboards in three of the Garfield rooms, and got one outlet that was being balky to work again. Still so many details to finish up.

Martha

• 1 month later...