My NEW new fireplace - suggestions?

ItzKathyP

Awhile back I PROUDLY posted a picture of my fireplace - the first really creative thing I've made since beginning this wonderful hobby.

Then I broke it into a zillion pieces. :lol:

Soooo, here is the NEW new fireplace.

post-2625-1225125900_thumb.jpg

It's resin from Lawbre and is stained with water-based stain. I put new "tiles" on this one from the old one, and have added a firebox, brick backing and a marble hearth. This whole assembly is only posed for the picture and hasn't been totally completed, as I also managed to lose the bulb assembly for the firebox & now have to wait for the new one to arrive. Then it has to be connected to tapewire behind the fireplace before everything is actually glued into place.

Any suggestions from any of you who are seriously good at this to make it look better/more realistic? I'd appreciate any comments you might have.

Ooh . . . Lawbre . . . NICE! I love what you did with it. My suggestion was also going to be some soot on the back panel. Also, how about a nice basket of logs next to it? My brother has been making me gorgeous hardwood log holders and cutting actual tiny logs for me. Yeah, my brother rules!

Soot is a wonderful idea! Any suggestions how to do it? Pounce white paint with a dry brush? Powder in the paint maybe?

Do I need a fender?

Ummm ... soot is black. But I'm not sure you need to add soot. You could pretend your housewife is a compulsive tidy. :lol:

I really like the tiles. How did you make them? The detail is lovely.

A log holder would be nice, and maybe a clock and/or porcelain vases/figurines on the mantelpiece would add realism.

Dare I ask how/why the first fireplace met its demise?

Ummm ... soot is black.

Well....yes, you're right. Guess I was thinking ashes. :thumb:

The late fireplace got a Dremel dropped on it. Once that resin cracks it's only a matter of time until it splits completely. I'm trying to get this one done & affixed to the wall before clumsy oaf here breaks it too!

The tiles are actually just pictures printed on photo paper. I scored them where the joins would be and folded them so they don't look completely flat.

I'm not very knowledgeable about the way fireplaces are constructed and wondered if the firebasket is appropriate in this one and if I need a fender at the front. I was kind of going for the type of look in this RL one:

post-2625-1225197697_thumb.jpg

It really is beautiful. Well done.

I would say you need something around the front edges. I've never made a fireplace before, so I don't have a clue, but RL fireplaces are either 'sunken' into the flooring (eg. the wood floor and the marble fireplace floor are level, not on top of each other) or they have a fender around. It's up to you. A fender would be in a more 'grand' house, or even a settle around it (I think that's the word - a bench seat that wraps around like the fender does - like this).

It's very nice just the way it is! I've got a squarish peice of black nylon tucked in behind my fire/embers in my fireplace, I just kinda half hazardly clung it to part of the wall ruffled up with stcky wax, till it looked natural. It's clean, not messy like charcoal would have been,(I would end up getting my fingers in it at some point and spreading it around) and when it's lit up it looks like sooth on the wall. Since you can still see part of the wall. I also have adirons and fireplace tools close by. Can't wait to see it lit up! It will look awesome.

You can use pastels (artist's chalk) to make the soot. Since your tiles are paper, this makes using pastels very simple. Just rub the pastel on the paper tile where you want soot, maybe blend the edges slightly with a sponge cloth, or tissue. Use matte spray fixative to set the chalk.