Here is something to brighten your mood.

heidiiiii

Social Security benefits for 50 million people will go up 5.8 percent next year, the largest increase in more than a quarter century.

The increase, which will start in January, was announced Thursday by the Social Security Administration. It will mean an additional $63 per month in most people`s checks.

Now if they just do not increase the payments to Medicare...that will be something to smile about.

I sure could use an increase! They increased food stamps in Uah, which is good, but shortfalls unexpected in the state economy have required cutbacks and they are eliminating physical therapy and glasses. Luckily my eye appointment is next week is next week!

Medicare may cover some of these, but the associated costs may put it out of reach.

I am looking at the short term. That is $65 a month I do not have now. That pays for 3 medication co-pays. That could pay for part of my gas for the car. That is half of my car insurance bill.

I thought it would make some of us have something to look forward to in January. Usually we get a $20 increase if we are lucky a year.

We try to stay healthy here in MOntana...... Doug is luckier than I as everything he needs is through the VA. But the increase will be nice for him and me too. I don't go to the doctor unless I have broken something or am in massive pain. Yep, it will all balance out. We'll get the raise and while it looks good on paper, it will just balance out the cost of living and we will have gained nothing more than we had already.....

Two years before I broke my leg, I was out with the dog in the woods. Doug was home in the house. We were about 1/2 mile from home. I fell over a rock - ok wasn't watching where I was going - and fell. I layed there for a minute as the dog thought I was playing and was jumping all over me. I had the wind knocked out of me for a minute or two. and got up and noticed a little tear in my pantsleg. Blood was spurting out through the tear. Well I live in bear country. No one would hear me if I was screaming bloody murder, so I picked up the offensive rock and headed back through the woods. I figured if the rock had hurt me I would take it home and put it with the others to make a small rock wall..... Bleeding profusely I got home, put the rock away, and went in the house and grabbed a rag which was quite red. Doug came down stairs and wanted to see my boo-boo....he was horrified yelling that the cut was to the bone and I would need stitches. I just wanted to put a bandaid on it. After about an hour it was still seeping blood and he made me get in the car and off we went to Missoula to the emergency room. I didn't feel I needed a stitch to hold it together you see. We get there and the doctor on duty examined it and asked how much I liked my pants....hey they were not my favorite ones.......so she cut the leg off and I got 17 stitches to close the gash. Indeed you could see the bone....... After that we went grocery shopping and went home. Doug pulled the stitches out about two weeks later and other than a tiny little scar, you can't see where it happened. Nope I don't readily go to the doctor....... A little boo boo like that I can usually take care of, but I couldn't see into the cut so I didn't think it was to the bone.....LOL

Because all the clients I deal with are on Social Security I was reading up on the benefits and came to a place that actually made my brain twist in my head.

Social Security benefits will stop the month before the month you die????????? What genius came up with THAT?????

Because all the clients I deal with are on Social Security I was reading up on the benefits and came to a place that actually made my brain twist in my head.

Social Security benefits will stop the month before the month you die????????? What genius came up with THAT?????

They don't pay the first month you retire either. Must be like paying the first and last months' rent as a security deposit on an apartment. Go figure??????

• 1 month later...

I got my paperwork in the mail this week telling me what my new payments for 2009 are. I did not get $63 for each check but I did get a nice jump in my monthly payments. *we all do not have to divulge how much we are getting*

It will help out alot. I hope you all received a bit of good news this week from the government too (social security recipients). I do not get Medicare so I do not know if the jump in payment is offset by a hike in what they take out.

Yes, my husband and I both are on SS, and got our notices. As you notied, we both got "raises". I figure, every little bit helps. If you're on Medicare Part D, though, beware! Costs of THAT part of Medicare are increasing, and if you don't do some comparisons (you have until December 31 to change plans), it could cost you!

We pay an-arm-and-a-leg for private health insurance through my husband's private employer. It has prescription drug coverage...and a host of other things we hope we may not have to take advantage of (like limited nursing home care), but given that I have a chronic health condition, we don't dare drop it.

The REALLY good news is that GAS prices have plummeted. We usually run my car's gas tank pretty empty before we fill, so we end up putting in about the same amount of gas. Just 3 weeks ago it cost us $35. Yesterday it was just over $13. Now that's a real savings! I was very happy to file away that receipt this morning...

Hmm I get my insurance now for 260 a year but this year I will turn 65 and no longer get that deal. Instead I will get medicare for which I will have to pay monthly. My existing insurance will change to a different free insurance but the raise in social security will go not for food etc but for medicare.

At least I am lucky enough to have insurance.

Life is full of trade offs. We can complain or we can use our noggins and figure out how to do the best with what we have.

I had an unusual letter from SS a few weeks ago, telling me that according to their records I could be drawing a higher payment each month if I were drawing on my own account rather than as a widow on my late hustband's account. I made the appointment and found out I can receive an additional $250/month by switching to my own account. Of course they couldn't make the change while I was there, but I have an appointment next week to do the paperwork. How's that for a Crristmas present from Uncle Sammy? Of course, it's not really a present. I worked HARD to build up that account! But the timing is lovely. :p

Neither Lloyd nor I have received our notice of "raise" yet.

I had an unusual letter from SS a few weeks ago, telling me that according to their records I could be drawing a higher payment each month if I were drawing on my own account rather than as a widow on my late hustband's account. I made the appointment and found out I can receive an additional $250/month by switching to my own account. Of course they couldn't make the change while I was there, but I have an appointment next week to do the paperwork. How's that for a Crristmas present from Uncle Sammy? Of course, it's not really a present. I worked HARD to build up that account! But the timing is lovely. :p

Neither Lloyd nor I have received our notice of "raise" yet.

That is great news. Yeah!!!!!!!

KathieB, when we were working, I've always made more than my husband...and my disability check (based on social security) is substantially higher than his. Should he die before me, indeed I'll be making sure that I keep drawing on my past work record, rather than his. I'm so glad that's working out for you!