the dreaded shingling :(

pin1056

ok .....so i have cut my templates, stuck on millions of tiny flippy bits of wood :p, colour washed it all, will wait for it to dry properly and then spray varnish the whole lot :blink:

Soooooooooo now i need to stick the templates to the enormous :yes: yes enorrmous roof.......with what should i stick it dear people dear people with what should i stick it dear people with what? :lol:

I'm thinking tacky glue? another thing is how do i hold it/clamp it down while it sticks?

i know theres a blog? or someone told me but hey i forgot :lol:

:D i know someone is dying to help me :)

Maybe quick grab in the corners?

My shingles are made of 60 grit sandpaper, but I also have wood shingles on the sides of my house. For both I used Elmer's and strips of duct tape to hold them down until they dried. Then I repeat the process for the next row. It worked perfectly.

with what should i stick it dear people dear people with what should i stick it dear people with what?
With wood glue, dear Linda, dear Linda, dear Linda, with wood glue, dear Linda, dear Linda, with wood glue (and I have no hole in my bucket, thank you very much!). Lay a piece of waxed paper over the shingles, lay a piece of scrapwood over the rom of singles & clamp it on each end.

When I shingle the houses using the wood shingles, I always use a hotglue gun. I personally have not had issues with it yet and they glue dries quickly .

Me too and never a one has come off yet anyway and it's been almost 2 years since I built the Garf. I've also used Quick Grip on the Beacon.

So far the answers seem to lean toward gluing on individual shingles or rows of shingles. If I'm reading the question correctly, the shingles are already glued in rows on templates, and now the templates need to be glued onto the roof.

What did you use for the template? If it's cardstock or paper, I'd use a contact cement, as I'd be concerned that a waterbase glue would soak into the template and cause some warping or buckling. The contact cement also reduces the need for weights or clamps while drying, as once it grabs, it isn't going to pull away from the roof without help. I think I'd prime or seal the raw wood of the roof pieces before applying the contact cement.

I'd go with a quick drying glue for templates as well. I was successful with "Household Goop" . It's the cheaper version of Quick Grab, and comes in a larger tube for the money. You want something that will dry fast, as to minimize buckling/warping. These glues aren't water based. I have used Tacky glue once too, for weights , I use DH's large automotive manuals. I have had to lay houses down in some cases to get the roof in a flat position. It worked, but I prefer to shingle one at a time, and have been doing it this way since those first couple of times.

I use regular tacky glue to glue the templates to the roofs. I clamp all the edges with binder clips. So far all of my templates have stayed flat on the house with no need for further clamping and Ive shingled all of my houses this way.

I also want to say I use the hot glue gun when I use the shingles that come with the Greenleaf kits!! The wood is thinner and it holds those shingles down wonderfully. But, If they are the thicker wood ones, I use quick grab because it dries faster & it holds them for years. :D

Im curious about the templates,Ive never used a template and Im wondering what the advantages are over just applying the wood shingles one at a time?? Seems like an extra step.

I too am curious I can see using one for 'sand paper shingles' but wondering why on wood ones.

Thank you thank you for all your helpful replies :lol: :D

I tried the 'template' method this time as i hate shingling with a passion :blink:

I found it quick and easy and will definately do it again :yes:

I suppose it is another 'step' but i prefer it...except when my sophie furbaby kept sitting on them as i was hot glueing ...not a safe procedure :lol:

I'm spray varnishing them today and hopefully attatching them tonight so i'll post pics soon :)