Veni, vidi, va-BOOM

Deb

I've got the balcony on the Lily! Wooohooooo! And of course, the cat is sitting there yawning like I'm boring him to tears when I show it to him, so I'll come talk to ya'll. :blink: You understand the enthusiasm when something comes together and a goal is reached.

So, wanna see? The balcony railing is just propped up so I could get an idea of how its going to look when it's on. Because it's a little delicate, it'll be the last thing I put on when the house is done and I'll take out the gaps between the sections when I mount it. But you know how it is........you have to try out the look.........go borrow some porch furniture from the nice ladies in the Pierce house upstairs...... sit and look at it for awhile..... :angry:

Whadya think? Give it to me straight now, I can take it. Is it starting to pass for a French Quarter now?

Deb

post-329-1140426352_thumb.jpg

post-329-1140426387_thumb.jpg

Whadya think?  Give it to me straight now, I can take it.  Is it starting to pass for a French Quarter now?

Deb

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Elvis voice: The French don't use quarters man, they use Francs. :blink:

Siriusly that is schweet! Tizight! BTW, is the railing a part that comes with the kit? Or is it aftermarket? Cause that thang is bangin! Looks awesome! Good idea to glue it on last.

I wanted to check a coupla pics of the Garf, so I'm adding, you just gave me a idea. I thinking use that kind of railing on the upper mini balconies of the Garf rather than the punched out stuff. Your pics prove it works, the porch has the die cut railing, and the balcony the tres kewel fancy wrought iron looking railings. Like I've said before, I have no problem being inspired, okay stealing ideas, but I always give credit.

Deb,

I LOVE your house!!! It's the first time I have seen your pictures. You can tell you have done this before. I have been planing to do all the wall paper etc. before we put the walls up on our Garfield. So now you have confirmed that this is the best way to do it.

Do you have a store near by that you purchase your stuff? We have one but it is an hour away and when I went I got so overwhelmed that the only thing we came home with was a rug lol. :blink:

SuzyQ

Deb, hee hee, I looked at your pictures before I read the post and I thought to myself "gee, that house looks like it belongs in New Orleans"!! So there you go, it absolutely looks like it could pass in the French Quarter!! :blink:

It looks amazing! Great job!! :angry:

Thanks everybody! I really appreciate the feedback. I was so apprehensive about bashing the balcony, and hoped that it would come out looking French Quarter. I'm putting a widow's walk railing around the top of the mansard roof to complete the look. The balcony railing and widow's walk are the IronWorks that miniatures.com carries. The website makes them look like they might be somewhat flexible, but they're hard plastic.

I put the mansard roof on today. Yay! That part was worrying me just a wee bit, but it went on like a dream. It's a whole lot easier to warp wood than to unwarp it. :blink: But what is really cool is that because of the scoring on the attic walls, they look like beadboard. So instead of wallpapering it, I painted them. It's a really nice look.

Deb

Do you have a store near by that you purchase your stuff?  We have one but it is an hour away and when I went I got so overwhelmed that the only thing we came home with was a rug lol.  :blink:

There's a mini store in Denver, but I haven't been there. We work midnights so it's just easier for me to shop online. I have a particular fondness for http://www.miniatures.com and that's where I order most of my stuff.

Deb

That's called a bash!

Actually, the whole balcony is bashed. But if it doesn't look bashed, then I did it right. :o I wanted to retain as much of the original look to the porch as possible.

I whacked out one of the double windows on the second floor to install the french doors, dropped the back of the porch roof by about 1.5 inches, tossed the original supports and added my own support beams under the back edge, raised the front of the porch roof by about half an inch and took some liberties with the verge and trim across the front of the porch so it could still use the orginal porch railings on the first floor, and then fit the porch roof pieces together so they'd lay flat instead of sloping. Half a bottle of gorilla glue, most of a role of blue tape and a little bit of spackling later and it was a balcony! :)

Deb

Deb it's BEAUTIFUL!  And Pink!  I love pink :) .  I've used those railings before, I do like them.  They can be shaped but it requires the patience of Job.

More pictures, please? :o

I'm not overly thrilled with the pink, but that's because I'm just not fond of pastels. ;) For this house, pink just seemed to be the right color. For one thing, it's owner wanted it to be pink, white and green, but mainly, it goes with the french quarter look really well.

<grinning> I'll get some more pictures taken when I get the rest of the tape off the roof this week.

So, how did you bend the railings? Heat? I was going to make square corners around the edges, but I'd love to hear how you shape them.

Deb

Deb WOW what a great job. I love all the changes you've made to the Lily, it looks marvelous. Maybe I should have waited to do the Lily till I had more experience LOL.

I'm so glad you did not have much trouble with the mansard roof, it drove me nuts, and still took a lot of wood putty to fill gaps. (There is still places that don't quite meet the supports, but I had got to the point that I was afraid the wood would rot from being wet so much)Please post pixs of yours, I would love to see one that went on smoothly.

I hope your friend appreciates all the work you've done on this house. Your swift progress is amazing me too.

Peggi

Actually, the whole balcony is bashed.  But if it doesn't look bashed, then I did it right.  :)  I wanted to retain as much of the original look to the porch as possible. 

I whacked out one of the double windows on the second floor to install the french doors,  dropped the back of the porch roof by about 1.5 inches, tossed the original supports and added my own support beams under the back edge, raised the front of the porch roof by about half an inch and took some liberties with the verge and trim across the front of the porch so it could still use the orginal porch railings on the first floor, and then fit the porch roof pieces together so they'd lay flat instead of sloping.  Half a bottle of gorilla glue, most of a role of blue tape and a little bit of spackling later and it was a balcony!  ;)

Deb

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:o

Gotta love Gorilla Glue, or polyurethane glue as a whole. Lotsa work there, I wouldn't have noticed since I'm not familiar with the house, but looks might fine to me.