I hate _________ the most.....

Kitten

Guest Nathaniel

I dont know if this is a cardinal sin in dollhouse world or not... but... I use... .... I use.... HOT GLUE for SHINGLING! AAGGGHHHH!! There it is! I said it. I like it cus it dries the quickest.

I stain all of my shingles prior to gluing on, and then I apply 3 at a time with a hot glue gun. I squeeze out a thick strip of glue three shingles wide, (keeping a handful of stained shingles in my hand) and then I QUICKLY put all three shingles in place and in 2 seconds the hot glue has dried and I move on to the next 3.

Shingling does still take alot time for me. But I dont hate it, I actually kind of like it.

Id say I kind of have trouble with wallpapering, especially when there are alot of windows, doors, or wierd angles...

But, I love everything that I do to my houses! Even the harder parts!

-Nathaniel ;)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I hate sanding the most. The worst is sanding furniture kits. All those curves and tiny little ends etc. Yuck!

Putting on shingles doesn't bother me and I don't think siding would bother me either.

I'm looking forward to when I brick my fairfield, brick by brick by brick. Found a place that sells 1/2 scale bricks in the UK, haven't found one in the States. So if I like that idea, siding can't be any harder than that. I know some of you will read this and go, "is she crazy?!?" Go right ahead, we all have our ideosyncrasies.

Terri

I hate painting but I love how it looks. I hate sanding but I love the way that it feels after I'm done. I hate putting the windows together but I love having a lot of them so that it lets in more light. So as much as I hate certain things I love the outcome. So its hard to say it's all hate. I just keep reminding myself that in the end it will be something to admire.

With that said... I have huffed and puffed and thrown out more molding and paintbrushes than I care to count!

Guest Nathaniel
im sure you wont have an angry mob chasing you for that...lots of people on here use hot glue for shingles

Phew! I was soooo worried! JK... To each their own!

-Nathaniel ;)

Me too. I use hot glue on the shingles. I also use it sometimes as a placeholder to get something to stick and then I use Carpenters glue around the edges. For example, when I lowered the second floor of the Storybook Cottage I used hot glue in a few little spots to get it to stop falling down, and then I went around the whole thing with carpenter's glue so it would last. There way no way to used clamps on that piece so I figured I wouldn't be chased by the angry anti hot glue mob. :wave:

I was reminded last night that the thing I hate the most is wallpapering. I find it very difficult to get it right and I do not enjoy the process. But I'm always glad when it is done.

The electrical! I bought a brand new box of the brads and idiot that I am ripped it open. They went everywhere! I spent an hour trying to pick them all up so my mom wouldnt vaccuum them. And then actually trying to do the electrical! I would never ever be an electrician, even for normal houses! =)

I would have said painting teeny, tiny trim with my old, arthritic, clumsy hands up until a few months ago.

But now I have changed what I hate most. Now, due to the major upheaval in my family, it is NOT having ANY time to work on my hobby at all !!!

It's really sad ;) to see all my dh's and components covered in dust (not sawdust) and my construction crew (Merlin, Gadget, and Eeyore) on strike, so to speak. :wave:

But life goes and it'll come back around again sometime. I hope !!!

The electrical! I bought a brand new box of the brads and idiot that I am ripped it open. They went everywhere! I spent an hour trying to pick them all up so my mom wouldnt vaccuum them. And then actually trying to do the electrical! I would never ever be an electrician, even for normal houses! =)

Next time any of you spill small items like that, grab the vacuum yourself first, stick a piece of nylong stocking over the end of the nozzle and let'er rip; The nylon catches your brads/ beads/ doorknobs/etc.

Ohhh, you are such a wealth of information, Holly. My DH went out and bought me one of those magnet things with the long handle so you can go over all the floor areas and pick up pins and needles and anything metal. But your idea is much better. Thanks!

I'm not fond of kit assembly instructions that are vague and not well illustrated. It's annoying to read throuugh a long-winded papragraph that's clear as mud on how to complete a step in the building process that either nearly puts me to sleep or makes me wonder, "Huh" what did I just read? IMHO, sometimes all that's needed is a short written explanation of "how to" and a clear, close-up photo to get the point across.

BTW, great tip Holly!

Sanding? You're supposed to sand? Uh, oh. Isn't that what stucco is for? :lol:

But seriously, am I doing something wrong with the electrical? I use the large size eyelets instead of brads. I know some people use two small on each side of the tape (4 total per junction), but I just use 1 large for each side of the tape (2 per junction) and I've never had any problem.

I do notice though, on a recent trip through the boxes, that I seem to have about 5 hole punchers. The one that works the best is the one that takes the needle all the way in until only about 1/4" or less is sticking out. My newer hole punchers won't do that. I usually put the eyelet on the end of the needle and press it into the tapewire with the hole puncher. If it doesn't go in all the way, then I just press it in with a hammer or something. Seems to work pretty well, but am I asking for problems along the road?

Oh, I HATE staining and finishing. I only like to get that messy out one time!