I hate _________ the most.....

Kitten

Out of all of the steps to building dollhouses, I hate sanding and drawing shingle guidelines the most.

I'm sitting here now sanding my little heart away trying to get the pieces to my Magnolia nice and smooth. I think this has to be the worst part of building. Also, over the weekend I was drawing shingle guidelines on the roof pieces of the QA....that was pretty sucky too.

So what part of the process do you enjoy the least?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate shingling, and painting all the tiny pieces! My fingers aren't as steady anymore as I'd like them to be. Otherwise, I hate waiting for the primer to dry so I can paint some color on.

I hate shingling and most of all I hate waiting for glue to dry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Especially it there is a part I can't clamp, tape or otherwise hold in place and I have to hold it tell the glue starts taking hold. (with my hands) Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :p

Ahhh...how could I forget the actual shingling....I don't care for that part either.

Oh, and Corwin, you're not alone with the disdain for those tiny little brads. I ended up having to buy them in bulk because I lose so many trying to put them in.

Vertigokitten....thank you so much... :p

ELECTRICAL - me on the brads...I lose them too (more than I get in) and the wires.....trying to tidy it all up. I did find some neat electrical conducting glue so at least when I get a brad in with the wires, it will stay. I use tapewire but attach the wires to the tape with brads - usually the tapewire in on the ceiling for the floor above and that is hard (cant put the dh on its side all the time). I am hoping electical gets easier - I have on done one house but it is 11 rooms. All the other parts of building a dh are fine with me - even shingles. Although getting the windows clean after getting glue, dust and whatever on them is never quite successful.

Since I haven't finished my first house, I can't say for sure. I hate sanding, but since I bought the mouse sander it is so much easier. I haven't shingled yet, and since DH said he would do it for me, I might not have to find out it if I like it or not. :p

I agree with Ben. I hate that I spend more time thinking about what I'm going to do instead of just doing it!

The worst part of building a doll house is procrastinating and deciding on what to do next!

:p you mean i'm not the only one?

I spend more time looking at the galleries and dollhouse websites than building anything....but oooooooooooooooo what ideas i have :)

and to answer the thread :pI hate shingling the most those pesky flippyup wont stick grrrrrrrrrr 'walk away from the shingles' :mad:

I don't like finishing off a house, the last details, getting everything to look perfect (I know houses with me are never done, but building should be done!). I've built and decorated most of it, and then comes the time when I can't be bothered to do more :) Want to start the next house!

Muriel :p

I would have to say painting the trim is my worst. I just hate having to paint them, let dry, paint them again, let dry, turn them over, paint them and let them dry and once again. Sometimes even a third time. I just hate those window and door trims. It's not so bad if I decide to stain them instead though.

Waiting for glue to dry, waiting for paint to dry, waiting, waiting, waiting for everything to dry! Then to move on! By then, my enthusiasm for the day and the limited time I have to work on something drives me up the wall!

I must be the odd duck, I enjoy all of it. Even the splinters, they just go with the territory so there is no need to complain about them.

Gayle, if you're the odd duck, then I'm swimming in your pond. Each step of the process seems to have its little pleasures. I take enjoyment out of sanding to a shiny smoothness, the painting of little pieces takes on a rhythmn that is very soothing, the obvious progress of shingles marching across a flat roof is satisfying, and so on. :p

I hate to:

1. Putting those little little tiny nails in hinges and door knobs. Even the tiniest hammer is too big to use. :)

2. Finding room to lay out all the trim pieces to paint, while remembering where each belongs. :mad:

3. Deciding what color to paint the exterior and the individual rooms. :p

No wonder the Garfield and the Adobe house are taking me so long to complete.

Rita

Well like others have commented those brads! The worse part is spending all that time tapewiring, brads, plugs etc. Plug it in it works fine, wallpaper and finish off the house and boom....lights don't work. Next time it's round wire for me...no more tape wire. The Garf has round wire and never any problems. There I've made my complaint for the day. :p