What would you do?

True Miracle

I'll probably be getting my first *kit* in the next two weeks or so. I'm still debating some over what I want and how to go about getting it (Hobby Store or online, etc). I've had a dollhouse before but it was already put together and decorated when I received it. All I had to do was furnish it with store-bought items. So this is a new experience for me, really.

Anyway, my husband wants me to start off with something small and relatively inexpensive. I'm one who tends to have a lot of projects on the go at once, often giving the appearance of not finishing them (I do, but I take my time). I can understand his concern under these circumstances, but it leaves me with a bit of a personal dilemma.

There are at least two dollhouses that I would have some good access to should I wish to purchase them. One is Real Good Toys' Victorian Farmhouse and the other is Greenleaf's Garfield. Both higher in cost than what my hubby wants me to do and both which require much more assembly.

My dilemma is this: If I don't get the house that I *really* want, will I finish it?

I know that only I can answer this question, but if you were in my shoes, what would you do?

Becki, I suppose that depends on whether or not you plan to build more houses. (Even if you don't, it can easily become an addictive hobby, especially with all the influence around here!) It IS a question that ultimately only you can answer, and you have some things to consider, but you asked what if I were in your shoes?... I'd get the one I *really* want. ;)

Size might be one consideration. You might want to make a paper template of the base measurements of the completed houses (usually that information is available somewhere in the descriptions, or you can ask here and we can measure ours), and see if you have room to build and display them. The Garfield (I have one) is HUGE. Lovely, but huge. It may simply be that you don't have space to build or display something as large as she is. Some folks have built it and realized they can't get it out of the room, or out of the house, for example! Is the RealGood Farmhouse a front-opening house? That would mean it would take up less space (as it can be displayed against a wall, and so might be another consideration. Both your choices are large houses...the real question is HOW large, and will you have space for the finished product?

You CAN get some small houses quite inexpensively...you might want to build one of those as an experiment, and see if indeed you even LIKE building. Some folks love the build, others love the decorating. Some THINK they'll like the build and get frustrated at every turn. Some find they like to make all their own accessories. Some (like me!) realize that if I waited 'til I made my accessories, my houses would forever stand vacant! ;)

Size in terms of display and space to build isn't an issue. Hubby and I have talked about rotating them if/when I have more than one, and we have space for storage as well as two entirely EMPTY rooms in our house that we're hardly using, one of which is a common area ;) So display isn't that big a concern.

Getting the house in and out of the house might be. The Victorian Farmhouse isn't front-opening nor is it too large to get in and out of a standard doorway. I've seen it in person (benefit of buying what you can see rather than ordering online, too).

I know that I enjoy the decorating and expect to enjoy making my own accessories (and I like the process of filling a house as much as the completed house). I'm not sure about the building except that I tend to need to have my hands busy and that would definitely be helpful for me dealing with some of the stresses of new motherhood.

At the same time I'm pretty sure that I'm more likely to *finish* a project if the end result is going to be something I can be *really* proud of.

Any recommendations of smaller houses that might be a better starter project but still give great finished results? I'm not worried so much about the cost provided that one of us can get it done, and if I don't, hubby wants to.

I was in your place last month. My husband thinks the same. He thought the Orchid was too big. Of course I bought it before I told him. I also have the travel trailer which I have been working on for a month. These are my first projects. And sometimes they overwhelm me. It's kind of an eye-opener to me that you can't assemble the whole thing before you paint. I've been following the directions literally and I seem to learn something new every day. I also seem to take apart more than I put together. I'm getting very good at slicing through glue without damaging pieces though.

My point is that I'm glad I started with the smaller projects. I think I would be incredibly frustrated if I was working this slowly on a large scale project. It also makes a difference if you have a place to leave the house as you work on it. Sometimes bigger is just bigger - not necessarily better. More rooms require more furniture, more to keep clean, more curtains, etc. I'm glad that I stuck with smaller projects. I would rather have a smaller house built with better quality than a large house that I built quickly because I was too impatient to follow all of the directions in order.

I never thought about a dollhouse not being able to fit through a doorway. Yikes, that's like the guy who built a boat in his attic & couldn't get it out.

So let's assume that I've decided to purchase a Greenleaf or Conona Concepts DH. I like these best anyway and had actually earmarked some Greenleafs on other sites before I found the "official" site ;)

Anyway, working with that assumption, can anybody suggest a "first dollhouse" from one of these two lines?

First of all, the Garfield IS too large to fit through a standard doorway, so either plan to build it where you sill display it or build it in two sections you can separate to get it through doorways (having French doors ia a huge help). I shall never build a Garfield so long as I live in my present house.

the Orchid was too big...It's kind of an eye-opener to me that you can't assemble the whole thing before you paint.
Huh? I did! I assembled the Orchid's shell, that is, and then primed the house, painted, papered and put up beadboard & decorated the interior, then the "stonework" for the exterior and last I assembled and painted the porch and assembled it to the house and finished shingling the gable, dormer & roof last.
I've been following the directions literally and I seem to learn something new every day.
Ah, well, that's one way to build, I suppose. After several builds you read through the directions several times, do the dry-fit and then decide what order you want to do the build. I do follow the instructions, but sometimes not in the order they're printed; so as I complete a section I cross it out.

There are lovely houses in both the Greenleaf and Corona Concepts line, as well other kits; obviously I prefer the GL & CC because they are such fun to build. You could build the little cottage kit and reinforce the interior corners and cover the rough edges with spackling compound or twill tape or ribbon and paint over it and build it for your little daughter to play with when she gets old enough. By then you'll know whether you really enjoy buillding or not.

I'm more likely to *finish* a project if the end result is going to be something I can be *really* proud of...Any recommendations of smaller houses that might be a better starter project but still give great finished results?
If you take your time and build carefully and with attention to detail you can make ANY kit a work of mini art to be proud of. So far the two kits I've built that I should like to keep to play with are the pub I made with the Greenleaf Glencroft kit and the FL Cracker house I made from the Corona Concepts Magnolia kit. I have gotten to the point that whether or not I keep a finished house I make it what it tells me it wants to be, with what it wants to have in it.

Beckj,the Buttercup 16"x18"x!!", theMagnolia 33"Wx22"Hx17D,the Arthur18"Wx23"Hx13D,the Laurel25x25x17 and the Orchid (about the same size as the Arthur) are all easy to build.

Any of these would be nice for a first time dollhouse builder

Don't use hotglue!

I think that part of the "problem" that I'm encountering is that the "display" dollhouses at the craft stores aren't "decorated" very nicely (on the outside). Or rather, that I don't like the way that they've been painted, colors, etc, which are all my choice. But there are a few things that I prefer in miniatures, such as porches and trim that can really make the difference.

I like the Orchid and the Magnolia. I think I'll have to look into those two for sure, though the Buttercup might be a good place to start because it has good possibilities.

I think you should make your decision based on the dollhouse you really, really want. Which one would you like to see displayed in your home? And which one would you be proud to past down to family members as a family heirloom? There is nothing like the experience of your first build! :p

My first dollhouse was the Beacon Hill and the reason I chose it was because I thought it was beautiful. I didn't worry about the build or how long it was going to take me, all I knew is I wanted that beautiful dollhouse!! It was a big project and it took me a little over a year to do, but the end result is so rewarding. I think you need to listen to your heart and get the dollhouse of your dreams and build it! You can do it! And it will be just beautiful! ;)

My first build, of all my own hardwork, was the Beacon Hill. It's a good size house. My hubby helped with my 2 previous houses, and additions. However, because I was so in love with that house, I saved forever to buy it, and did ultimately do it all myself. It was a mean, and nasty kit, (not that all BH's are like mine was) this thing fought me at every turn. Nothing worked, nothing fit- it was a tough build. I wanted it so bad however, that aside from ACCEPTING help, with some huge clamps at one point to untwist the thing, and stop the crying and swearing fit I WAS IN,- I seen it true-AND I LOVE THE END RESULTS. I'm so proud of my BH. I'm very certain, if it had not been a kit I was truly, "into", I would have given up on it! So I would go for the one your heart desires. Especially, if you can afford it, and have the space for it. The Garfield is indeed the ultimate house! It's bigger than my real house however, and I steer away from it for that reason.

For ease of build, nice size, and a great porch, the Washington 2.0 was my favorite to build. That's the kit I'd suggest as a first house. Good luck with your decision! It will be a tough one to make. Let us know when you've decided.

Which house SINGS to you?

The one that says..YooHooo! Pick me! Pick me!

That is the one you should get. If you want to just get your feet wet, then start with something smaller like said above..Orchid, Arthur, Magnolia, etc.

You may find that you will become highly addicted and want to delve into deeper waters in the future..Beacon Hill..Lily..Garfield!

my thoughts would be a Peirce.....it is the same style as the Garfield just smaller.

you could work on it and build it with your daughter in mind....this will give you plenty of time to work on it before she is ready to play with it.... or the Magnolia....good house for a little girl.

of course the Garfield is the ultimate.....

good luck making your choice. oh and if you decide to cut your teeth...so to speak on a smaller kit... remember there are always places you can donate a house for underprivledge kids when you finish it.

just have fun...its a hobby!

Happy Building!

nutti :p

If cost is a consideration, take your 40% off Hobby Lobby coupon and buy one of their houses.

Second...your husband probably has hobbies that cost alot of money so it's only fair that you should build the house the *you* want, not what he wants.

Two things to consider: If you have the room for a Garfield you probably have room for more than one house, and if, after you've built the Garfield, you've become as addicted to building as some of us (like Marg) you can go on to build the other kits that appeal to you.

We'll be moving in the next eighteen months or so, so the Garfield will probably have to wait, but part of me wants to get the kit so that I always know it's there. I'm weird like that.

I figured out the reason that it sings to me. Don't ask me why I didn't realize that it's modeled after Garfields home in my home town of Mentor, Ohio, but I hadn't. Oops. I definitely want to do that kit eventually!

I might have to think a bit about the Pierce. The choice is going to be difficult. The idea of the 40% off at Hobby Lobby is a good one, and not one I'll be able to take advantage of once we move because we're moving to an area that doesn't have one :wave:

Hubby does have one expensive hobby. Trouble is, it's Golf, and, being a pro, he gets dramatically reduced greens fees if he doesn't play for free lol

I personally aways vote for the orchid. It is versatile for its purpose (victorian house, cottage, store, restaurant, fantasy house) You can make it as ornate or plain as you wish, it is an easy build and great practice, it is small enough to move around easy - even on a board so you can give it a nice yard - but big enough to put stuff in. Lighting it is simple.

As far as cottages and small houses go- I like the buttercup the best for ease of assembly. And its so gorgeous when finished. I dry fit my Orchid, but haven't actually assembled yet. It has nice size rooms for one of the smaller houses.

Since you will be moving in the near future I would start with a smaller house so you can have the fun of bulding it but still be able to move it when the time comes.

So look at smaller ones and get the one that says I need you to bring me to life and then after you move you can bring the Garfield to life.