Help naming dollhouse

Lisa_F

Afternoon everyone!

Today is a good day! I was able to sell off the miniatures & houses that I wasn't able to keep anymore (due to a lack of space) and now I have room in my dining room to work on my "forever" house! As soon as the mini's sold & were out of the house I set up a work space on the dining room table & now I need to put my thinking cap on & figure out exactly what I want to do with the house.

I need help naming the house though... I kind of know which direction I'm going to go with the house, but for the life of me I can't think of a fitting name for her. Can you help?

The house is a Lawbre Shadowcliff, Right now it's just in it's primed (mostly) state, but eventually she'll be shades of pink & antique ivory, with a rose theme throughout the house. I'm thinking shabby chic, before the "shabby" if that makes sense. She's going to be frilly, feminine, and more modern than victorian era (lady who will reside there inherited it from her grandmother so there will be some antique items left behind).

Ideally I'd like a name for her that incorporates the word "rose" somewhere.

Any ideas???

Here's a photo of her as she looks right now:

post-605-0-33763500-1367875362_thumb.jpg

I have the hinged wall panels, windows & trim for her, but they're all boxed up waiting for when I had space to work on her.

• Like 1

How about "Briar Rose Cottage?" or just "Briar Rose." It is a beautiful little flower in exactly the color scheme you described delicate pinks and off-white.

This is also the name of sleeping beauty and invokes all the feminity and girlish charm.

Just a thought!

• Like 1

Those are some great suggestions, but I have to admit when Heddy referred to Sleeping Beauty I realized that's what I'd call her... The Sleeping Beauty.

I love the Shadowcliff. Such a beautiful house!

I'm sure whatever you name her will be perfect.

Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone! Each name would definitely suit her, but I'm still open to other suggestions. I have tried coming up with a list of names myself for her, but I'm afraid I'm just not terribly imaginative when it comes to naming her. I don't know why I'm fixated on having the word rose in her name, because I just keep getting stuck when I try to come up with something using that word.

You could use Rose in the name in a number of ways. As the name with a descriptive term like the "Enchanted Rose." Or as the color like "Rose Corner" or "Rose Mansion." You could also do a play on words like "La Vie En Rose", "Rosie View". Or just elegantly simple and call it "The Rose." :)

• Like 2

Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone! Each name would definitely suit her, but I'm still open to other suggestions. I have tried coming up with a list of names myself for her, but I'm afraid I'm just not terribly imaginative when it comes to naming her. I don't know why I'm fixated on having the word rose in her name, because I just keep getting stuck when I try to come up with something using that word.

I say you're stuck because she isn't ready to tell you her name. My Beacon Hill is driving me crazy doing the same thing. I think we're supposed to be patient and let the house speak. I'm not doing so great at that. Good luck!

• Like 1

I say you're stuck because she isn't ready to tell you her name. My Beacon Hill is driving me crazy doing the same thing. I think we're supposed to be patient and let the house speak. I'm not doing so great at that. Good luck!

You could talk to her and call her by different names...see if she responds! :giggle: Okay, I'm not giggling anymore...it's true what you say about listening to the house. :)

• Like 4

Rose is such a beautiful name.

I don't know too much about your house and the story you are creating but maybe my grands thoughts might help.

One of my grands took it as her new middle name. Her thoughts on why might spur some inspiration for you.

She chose it because "while roses are extremely delicate and wonderfully fragrant, they are also strong and can protect themselves because they have strong stems and sharp thorns. I want to be strong and able to protect myself but I want to be a beautiful person too."

It's certainly a beautiful house. I've not seen it before.

I do agree though, that you might have to wait until the house tells you more of the story to get the best name.

Good luck !!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you everyone, for your help in naming my house! So many wonderful names, but I think I've found her name! You're right Morgan, I needed to be patient & listen to her - she had a name all along, I just wasn't paying close enough attention! :D

You could also do a play on words like "La Vie En Rose", "Rosie View". Or just elegantly simple and call it "The Rose." :)

La Vie En Rose it is! Thank you Debora! (now I just need to learn how to pronounce her name!) I had never heard that name/phrase before, but in researching it after reading your post, I saw it means "life in pink" or "through rose colored glasses. I sat & thought about it for awhile, and although it was a beautiful name, I wasn't completely sold on the idea until I went back & read the draft of a blog post I had written about first getting the house. Right there in the draft I had written "I must've been looking at her through rose colored glasses". Reading that was like getting hit over the head with the name! lol! That's what she wanted all along! So thank you!!!

Speaking of the blog, I've finally gotten around to publishing my first two posts. If anyone is interested the link is in my signature.

• Like 2

Glad to help!

The song, by Edith Piaf, is really lovely. I can see you working on it with the music playing in the background. If you don't know the song, you can google it too.

Glad to help!

The song, by Edith Piaf, is really lovely. I can see you working on it with the music playing in the background. If you don't know the song, you can google it too.

That song has been playing through my brain ever since the name was decided upon. May all our lives be rosy!

• 3 weeks later...

So glad to see this, and started following your blog as well. I'm to be getting one of these shortly and cannot wait until I get to start working on it! :D

You're getting a Shadow Cliff? How cool is that! I would love to follow your build as well! I've searched for quite awhile for online photo's of the completed Shadow Cliff and while I've run across a few, there definitely aren't enough!