Rachel's Diorama

Rachel has finished her "mini" diorama of the Ute Indian Tribe.

Here is a picture of Rachel and her project:

post-4-1132537680_thumb.jpg

Here is the project close up shot. She is so proud!

post-4-1132537713_thumb.jpg

We made the box out of foam core and the adobe and rocks too.

The people are made from wood bead (head) and pipe cleaner (the body) the hair is yarn.

This is a story/report that she will turn in tomorrow:

Hi, my name is Moon-Feather. I am ten years old. My mother name is Sun-Dancer. We spend our days making Pots and Jugs from clay. My Grandmother is a basket maker and a weaver so I spend time with her making baskets too.

During the summer months, my Father, Walk-with-Bulls and my brother, Friend-of-Wolf Hunt for our food. My father, who is the Hunting Chief, lead the other men on hunts to gather food for our clan.

This summer, my father killed a Buffalo. We had the honor or gutting it out and keeping the meat of our choice. The Buffalo skin was then taken so My mother, Sun-Dancer and I, could make a beautiful Ceremonial Robe for my Father to wear on special occasions.

We took some of the meat from the Buffalo to make pemican. Pemican is a food prepared from lean dried strips of meat pounded into paste. We then mix it with the fat from the bull and berries, and pressed it into small cakes.

It is made chiefly from beef, dried fruit, and suet. Suet is the hard fatty tissues around the kidneys of the Buffalo. We use Pemican mostly as emergency rations. Winter months are hard on us. The Pemican helps our clan to survive when we have no food.

We are strong people and none of my family have died from starvation yet.

Well, I must finish painting my pots. Visit me again.

You all should have seen her leaving the house this morning with it. She would not let her Dad touch it :D . She carried it herself.

She is so proud of herself. I will let her read her messages from youall today when she gets home from school.

:)

The head dress I got from Hobby lobby in the trim & fabric section. I want to use it for a lamp but it looked so appropriate for the picture LOL ;) .

As a teacher myself (right now working mostly with the 11-12 year olds) I am impressed with the work and details put into this scene. Well done and if I could give a grade, well it would deifinitley be the same as the first in my name :)

Looking forward seeing what comes next....

Hugs

This is Rachel. Thank you for saying my diorama look nice. I am happy because I am finished. when i took it to school today. My class mates thought my mom put it togethr and teased me about it so I was sad when I came home. Mom told me to read my messages and I don't have email so when I saw all of your nice words I was happy and proud again. It was hard work for me to do. Mom said I can do another one over winter break and i can't wait.

I got to go to bed now.

Rachel

Rachel - keep up the good work. I'd so love to see more of your projects posted on this site. Don't worry about what others think ... that your mother made the diorama. You know better, and any of your close friends would know that too. Hold your head up ... you rock girl!!!!

Susanne

You all really did make Rachels day! She was so happy to see your responses. I did not know the kids teased her about this until last night when I showed her the messages. She wanted to reply (Since she has a computer at school she said she "knows" what to do LOL). When she asked me to spell certain words I started reading over her shoulder (instead of putting a dollhouse porch together LOL). We talked about it and it just shows me how far a kind word can go. You all almost brought tears in her eyes! She was so happy about all of your coments and I want to say Thank you too!

Today they had a 1/2 day at school and everyone had the diorama's out on there desk (parent teacher conferances last night & today) and everyone was asking her questions today and several kids told her they loved her pueblo. So she is all smiles.

That's why I love this hobby too. It teaches kids good skills and also leave them feeling proud of there hard work. She wants to make a roombox from both of her Grand mothers now :D. What have I gotten myself into now? :) ;) ;)