Hello- First Timer Here

birdmom

Well, my main hobby for almost 9 years has been scrapbooking. About 6 weeks ago I saw a neat chipboard house they make for scrapbooking, thought about buying some to make for my three daughters (ages 8,6 and 4) and then thought- how 'bout a "real" dollhouse. Thought about it for several weeks and then went looking for one - went to Jo-Ann.com and they were having 30% off dollhouses and free shipping. I wanted to make my girls a dollhouse- since I never had one. I must have been online that night for 6 hours trying to pick the perfect starter dollhouse. Came to this site several times and finally decided on "The Haunted House"- but making it decidedly unhaunted. I still haven't received that house in the mail yet, but the dollhouse section of ebay has received my daily patronage. And I bought two more houses, another haunted house, and the Victoria Cottage from Beechwood LTD, whic unless I'm mistaken is the same house. I just love this little house. I've been building and buying furniture and rugs and cute little miniature things. I upholstered my first couch a few days ago and loved it. I have received one of my ebay houses (unfortunately within the hour I received my kids came down with a virus and I couldn't work on it for two days) but I now have the inside painted, the house assembled, and the furniture in the rooms. I'm going simple with this house since I want the girls to be able to play with it. But now that I"ve found out I love love love doing this - I can't wait to get started on my own "grown-up house". I've already bought and built some of the furniture for it.

Great hobby- but now I find myself shopping on ebay and have a notebook where I've planned parts and pieces for many dollhouses.

Welcome to the neighborhood Sarah! The dollhouses are addictive and they multiply in the dark so Be Very Careful! Once you have 2 kits sitting together somehow they turn into 3 then 5 then 12 then 27 (you get the point I am sure) :p Once they start sliding from under the bed, you then have to find junky closets to hide them in (If it's a neat closet then everyone can see them) :p

I can't wait to see your houses all dressed & done up! Your girls must be so excited! That Haunted house kit is a fast built and so darn cute!!

I had read on here (have been reading daily while waiting to assemble :p ) about scrapbook paper for wallpaper and since I have a "few" (we don't really want to count it shhhhh) sheets of it - used some to wallpaper one wall in my daughters' house. Its part of the exscuse I'm using to justify the new hobby- :p

Welcome to the neighborhood Sarah! The dollhouses are addictive and they multiply in the dark so Be Very Careful! Once you have 2 kits sitting together somehow they turn into 3 then 5 then 12 then 27 (you get the point I am sure) :p Once they start sliding from under the bed, you then have to find junky closets to hide them in (If it's a neat closet then everyone can see them) :p

wow- and to think my started multiplying before I even got the first one...... I've already got plans for so many. I am very attracted to the little houses. Like the orchid, sugarplum, the travel trailer, houseboat, etc.... (list goes on and on)

And no worry about clean closets here........

Sounds like you're well into the addic...uh...hobby :p

should be a group for us.. "Hi, I'm uppitycats, and I'm a dollhouse addict... " :p

I have been lurking for a while (didn't want to post until I had started assembling and knew for sure the hobby had drug me into full fledged addiction) and knew I would enjoy it here. Everyone seems so addicted (oops I mean commited) to dollhouses. :(

Fantastic Couch Sarah! And you say you are a newbie??!! The house is lookign Fantasic. Have your girls helped you with it much? Do they know about it yet?

Thanks about the couch. I was so nervous about posting pics- I have been drooling over everyone's houses for weeks. Y'all do such great work. It is so relaxing and fun to work on the dollhouse- its like a hobby that was meant for me. I love it.

The girls helped pick the colors and they helped sand some of the pieces. We homeschool so its been our August homeschool project. They've had to measure things around the house and then similar dollhouse items to do 1' to 1" scale. Once we start homeschool next week they will be constructing their own room boxes (with help :p ). It is sitting on a table in the living room while I try to finish pieces for the outside- the girls are already playing in it. They love it.

I'm trying to find dolls- turns out thats more difficult than I thought - so many choices and different looks, but not exactly what I was thinking. :p

Sarah -

Welcome to the forum. How nice that you've got daughters to help you out with your dollhouse!

I'm glad that you've come in to chat with us. I'm going to head over to the gallery and take a look - I love miniature eye-candy!

Hugs

-Susanne

should be a group for us.. "Hi, I'm uppitycats, and I'm a dollhouse addict... " :p

There is - it's called GREENLEAF. :p

Welcome to the support group - er, forum, Sarah!

You are doing such a terrific job - love the couch! I'm also working on a Haunted House, although not doing it as a spooky one either.

Hi & welcome, Sarah. When I built the Haunted House kit was when I discovered the kits "talk" to me and tell me how they want me to build them. The Haunted House would NOT come out haunted, no matter how hard I tried. Of course, the Glencroft had already decided to become a pub, but I wasn't as aware that it was the kit's guiding me, rather than other way 'round, until I got the Coventry Cottage kit. Being aware that the kit will work with you so long as you let it have its own way is the first step towards having it turn out well.

I love the bathroom, did you make the fixtures? The first items I ever made from "scratch" were a Victorian bathroom suite, using one of Patricia King's books.

Welcome to the forum!

Love the first photos of the house!

I love the HH kit because it is soo versitile. I have done 3 of them one haunted and 2 not. all 3 are favorites!

this house is a quick build but it can be done in any style!

I look forward to seeing the other 2 houses!

Happy Building!

nutti :p

Welcome to the forums and to the hobby! If you're like me, you'll soon find yourself thinking about dollhouses and minis all the time! It's a fantastic hobby, lots of fun with great people and tons of insprational ideas and resources.

The fourms here are outstanding!! You will find very very helpful and friendly members with lots of ideas, encouragement and support.

Welcome again!

Christine