Hello- First Timer Here

birdmom

I love the bathroom, did you make the fixtures? The first items I ever made from "scratch" were a Victorian bathroom suite, using one of Patricia King's books.

Thank you

For the fixtures I had bought a wooden kit, but once assembled they looked a bit well....... wooden. So I covered them with clay and then painted and glossed them. I made that kit and one other and wasn't happy with either set. Think I'll go porcelain next time.

Welcome to the forums and to the hobby! If you're like me, you'll soon find yourself thinking about dollhouses and minis all the time! It's a fantastic hobby, lots of fun with great people and tons of insprational ideas and resources.

I can't seem to get my mind off of dollhouses. I keep planning and plotting. The other day we were out just driving around- and I was commenting on the houses ------ that would make a great dollhouse or I bet that color combo would look great for the dollhouse or I want my roof to look like that or even wow I need to copy that landscaping. I've got a whole new set of eyes when I go shopping too! :p

And remember that some of those scrapbook embellishment packages have lovely minis in them! Even if you can only use one or two things in the package, they are still cheap minis!

One of the ways I persuaded DH that this was a good hobby to begin was that it would help me use all of my scrapping and craft items. Thats when I thought they charged a lot for scrapping items. Boy was I wrong. I think dollhouses are one of the few hobbies that make the scrapping hobby look inexpensive. :p Never thought I'd be going through my scrapping stuff because it was cheaper.........

Edited by birdmom

For the fixtures I had bought a wooden kit, but once assembled they looked a bit well....... wooden. So I covered them with clay and then painted and glossed them. I made that kit and one other and wasn't happy with either set. Think I'll go porcelain next time.
I have pretty good results with white Sculpey III. I'm furnishing Pearl (the Laurel rehab) in CC furniture kits, and the bathroom was a challenge, alright.

What hobby does not take all your time and money? And the more wonderful the hobby (dollhouses) the more the hobby costs. Just look at it this way - you can't take it with you to the afterlife, so may as well enjoy it now.....

Have you figured out you need a bigger real life house yet for all your little houses?

Just look at it this way - you can't take it with you to the afterlife,
Huh? Who says I can't? I've already planned to go by way of San Francisco so I can pick up minis to take with me to put in the dhs I plan to build for all the souls of all the little children who have died; I figure Tom Berkener will let me help build his kits and Jim & Helen Dorsett can teach me more miniature cabinetry techniques.