extending the Beacon Hill kitchen

I picked out the furniture for the kitchen, but I had to have the cute little hutch, as well as the table and chairs--of course now things are a bit cramped. I didn't want the house to become too monstrous, since the conservatory addition will be on the living room side---do you think it's worth the hassle to extend the kitchen just an inch or two, so things won't look so cramped??

Hmmm ... do you really need the table and chairs in the kitchen? Maybe one chair ... and move the table & other chair elsewhere?

I checked out your new gallery photos ... your wallpapers are really rich and elegant! Tipton Manor is going to be the talk of the neighborhood when it's finished. :lol:

I think the Manor really wants the table to stay....that's where I got the idea for the extension :lol:

Irene, I've checked out yours , as well as Becca's and Anya's kitchen extensions...so I have some ideas...doesn't look to hard, is it?? I think I'll just have to take the time to really plan it out....good thing I have a little extra wallpaper left,lol.

Cathy I agree with Bec! We've been comparing notes on our extentions... :lol: Go for it, you won't be sorry. It's not hard, now is the time!

Yes I do. The bigger the better in my opinion. I have always thought the BH kitchen was too small and needs extending. I have no idea how far you have gone with yout house but if you put the living room door where the blind wall is you will have lots more room on the back wall. :lol:

You can see the pictures of my BH in my gallery.

I'll be on the lookout for good pictures of how y'all did/ do your extensions, since I also want to extend the width of the Willowcrest slightly when I build it, for the same reason.

If you're going to extend one inch, maybe think of extending two inches just to give you a little more room yet. Two inches (2 feet) is quite a bit.

Looking forward to seeing what you decide to do.

-Susanne

I think it's worth it and a very easy bash to do. i did a kitchen bash for my bh, it's in my blog if you are interested ;)

And you inspired me to do it :lol:

I left the shelf out of the bay kitchen roof part, and find the kitchen has more room, just with that little extra. I can nestle the sink stove and a corner counter in the space. Every inch counts in the mini world!!

thanks for all the advice :) I think I'm only going to go about 2 inches --what I'm worried about is having to also extend the porch and building another support "column". I really will have to take a look at it. I have put the French doors in that lead to the conservatory off the parlor, so I want to get the conservatory foundation built soon too....so much to do and so little time,lol

Hi,

I totally agree with the addition to the kitchen, another 2 feet ( 2") is good. I have a BH and I wish I had had the brains to add something. That kitchen is small!

Melva

I hope I don't get into trouble for this:

I decided to jump on the wagon and I'm going to try to extend my kitchen too. I used to live in a house with a very small kitchen (Could turn around at the stove and wash dishes, but you had to watch that the back of your shirt didn't catch fire...) and I absolutely HATED it.

Now the part I'm worried about getting in trouble for, I have a quick question. Is there any certain kind of wood you all are using for the extensions? I'm sorry for asking this here, but didn't want to start another thread for almost the same topic.

Michelle

Actually you don't have to use wood for any bashing of dhs, foamcore would do as well. Greenleaf kits are made from 1/8" plywood, Corona Concepts from 3/16", so 1/8" will probably work well for any bashing you want to do.

Thanks Holly:) Can you get foamcore at Hobby Lobby or similar store?

lol Michelle, had one of those kitchens in our first house too :) Glad we persuaded you to add on! Will watch for pics! Glad you asked the question about kinds of wood...no worries, "mi forum es su forum" lol

Melva, I really struggled with the size of the kitchen, I think the house must have whispered more loudly this time,lol

Most stores that carry school supplies carry foamcore. Kids love it for display board projects. I can get the 1/4" at Wal-Mart, other thicknesses can be found at Hobby Lobby, Michaels, or other art/craft supply shops.

FYI .. in my bash of the houseboat, all of the walls in the middle deck are foamcore. The top deck will also be foamcore, as I used the original top deck at the floor for the new middle deck. :)