Hello! New here

Hello all, I have come opon this site a few time this month and stumbled around. Not usual for me, I joined yesterday.

I have loved miniatures since I was a child. The first house I built was the duracraft San Francisco. in the 1970's, it took almost 10 years, I built it from a kit and my niece still has it. I took about 25 year off from building to have kids, four BOYS age 12-32. We trave alot so I did continue to collect.

I started building custom houses in about 1998. Mostly miniature replicas of peoples actual homes. It is not as hard as people think as long as I have a good supply of graph paper and my husband does the major cutting. Kit houses are far more labor intense than from scratch. I really do not like, actually almost hate MDF so look for older kits. Right now I am figuring out the Emmerson Row and will start making it in a few weeks. My plan is to build it per the plans, it is quite sweet as is. The only thing I don't like are the stairs and I am sure to be asking what others have done when I get to them.

I was a baby nurse but "retired" in 2000. We have Pulik (Hungarian Sheep dogs) and I also am involved in Hungarian breed dog rescue as well as anti commercial breeding (puppymill) issues. Between agility and hearding for my guys and always having a rescue (or two) the mini houses are definatly an escape. Not to mention we still have a 7th grader at home...

I do like to build tab and slot houses even with all the sanding, it's so easy to bash them. After all this time, I do not actually have a dollhouse! They stay around for a while then seem to find "forever" homes. I seen to like the building part most. As far as my mini furniture, I rotate my collection into a cabinet house and a few roomboxes. I DO have a display plan but then something comes up.

My plan to house my own stuff... I was given a beautiful set of Lawbre windows and doors last year and have been designing a 7 unit doll apartment building around them. It will have two stores on the 1/2 "underground" floor. Each will be (hopefully) decorated differently. All the $ I make on the four houses I have going now and one other will go towards the supplies for my masterpiece.

Well this was chatty and more than enough for now. I am really enjoying the photo's you all have posted and look forward to getting to know and learn from everyone.

I tried to add pictures...

Welcome Agnes! I hope you can get pictures up soon. We would love to see some of your work! I've seen some of your other posts, and with your experience, I'll can tell you have a lot of great things to share! I love to learn new things about building, so please - share away!

Traci

:wave: to the forum, Agnes :banana: It's such a delight to "meet" you! It sounds like you will have a lot of really great information to share with us, and we hope you will share pictures of all your builds with us. There are a few eye candy addicts among us mini-addicts, and they may sic the eye candy police on you... :cops::cops::cops:

Enjoy the forum and feel free to join in the occasional silliness that strikes some of our members who shall remain nameless at this time... :banana: :nana: :banana::banana::banana:

Hi and :banana: ! If you have any pictures, we would love to see some of your creations!! The photos can't be too big in memory to be added in a post, but the gallery takes any size.

:banana:

Wow, thanks for the welcome. I am moving into a rented space as I have outgrown my 36 sq foot craft spot. I might have mentioned but our home in Oregon is make from a KIT! I wanted to do some restoration when we bought the place and remodeling and the city architect came to visit. He gave us a picture from the tax assessor of the foundation being dug and poured (using old growth timber and plowing horses!).

I do not have many pictures as the people who commission my houses need to give permission for publishing finished furnished houses but I do have several projects going rigth now that I own. A free built craftsman at is 90% and I will post it as soon as I am set up in the new place. I have to admit I love having so much spare time, I am going to take the dogs for a hike now and then see how the new place is coming. Not likely to happen before this evening as I had hoped, but I am thinking to get in a paint tomorrow night.

Welcome to the forum!

now I would love to see a photo of your workshop!

and do you take photos of the houses you rehab?

I would love to see some before and after shots of those also.

nutti :w00t:

Alreay planning to take pictures as I go. I am not a good historian of my work and one of the things looking at all your websites and photo pages has done is inspire me to start. I never considered that there is so much to learn just buy looking at "work in progress" photos and thre observations and comments

I never considered that there is so much to learn just buy looking at "work in progress" photos and thre observations and comments

That is one of the main reasons we do Team builds here. to help those just learning someplace to start. I would have loved it when I was just starting.

if it hadnt been for Tracy,LindaC and Fov I dont know where I would be.

nutti :w00t:

Hi Agnes, welcome!

What a shame you don't have pics of the replica houses you've built. Did you just not ask the owners about publishing pics? Can you go back and ask some now? I wouldn't even have thought about needing permission to show photos - after all, it's your work. Is there a law about that?

I'm also looking forward to learning new things from you - the networking system is alive and well here!

The truth is I am not a picture taker, my last two kids will be happy the verify this. If it were not for DH we would not have many pictures at all. I do have pictures of some houses and releases to show them but need to scan them ito the computer and I REALLY will as soon I we settle into our new place and I figure out how.

I am attaching something.... I am not sure if it what I want as thumbnails are not showing up.

Edited by aggiemae

I attached an empire style piano room... I tried like 5 times.

My DH has been rearranging the photo's and I think his obsessive virtual tidiness is the cause as I could not post my agility picture either and I post on that site all the time. Not only can't I move pictures every time I open one the computer is giving me a "error" message and closing out of the harddrive.

I can't stop myself from ranting!!!!!!

I wish he would leave the computer alone...but I am superstitious because the last two times I wished this we ended up with a new computer a shoret while later. We always had a MAC before and I really liked them, The kid needed a PC so he could take work back and forth to school and I am just getting used to this one. I also with DH would tidy up the kitchen once in a while. Hey, maybe I'll get up tomorrow and have a new kitchen!