first gladiolus flower

rbytsdy

Great job on the glads! They really look nice.....as BeachPeach says, just keep adding things! These would look super in the garden around the base of the dollhouses.....great job! Keep it up!

Oh, I've been wanting to try that tutorial ever since I bookmarked the site! I like how yours are coming along.

I tried the flower thing and failed!
I have failed at so many things the first few times I tried them! Don't give up, go back later & try again. Not everyone can do all things in the pressure of a class, sometimes you just have to go somewhere quiet with your scissors, glue and paper (or whatever) and play around.

Beautiful colour - you're doing a great job. :groucho:

Thanks for posting the link - I saw it once (a long time ago) - and couldn't find it again. Now I save interesting sites when I first come across them - I've learnt that they disappear into a black hole otherwise!

Thanks for all the great comments, folks! I have been chugging away-- adding more, and looking up glad leaves on the internet... Mom is a big glad fan (these are for the Mother's Day potting shed roombox I am working on) so I will work on another trio before I put them all into pots-- I found a great pic of some yellow glads with red fringing, but I think that I will try those with tissue paper instead of the coarser coffee filter paper that I have been using.

I found where someone had posted a link to a site that I had been looking for with no success-- mini picotee begonias (some nice tuts also for peace lilies and roses). After a trial run or two, I figured out the "trick" (you have to tie the string just about right where the petal cut starts) and voila, the little guy on the left. (Which you can barely see actually... He needs some buddies...) Hey, that was pretty easy!

I found where someone had posted a link to a site that I had been looking for with no success-- mini picotee begonias (some nice tuts also for peace lilies and roses). After a trial run or two, I figured out the "trick" (you have to tie the string just about right where the petal cut starts) and voila, the little guy on the left. (Which you can barely see actually... He needs some buddies...) Hey, that was pretty easy!

that begonia tut was easier than i thought it would be, except mine turned out to be roses too. and that little bit with the thread wrapped around does cinch the petals down tightly. i did the peace lily too and that was actually simple and i was very pleased with the results.

i posted pics of mine in my gallery as i cant seem to upload pics in posts.

Speaking as a glad grower, they look marvelous. Too bad the real ones dont stay that lovely for very long in the garden. The bottom flowers start to shrivel up while the top flowers start to bloom!

Well these turned out more red-orange with hints of yellow than yellow with red-orange fringe, but that is OK; here they are in various stages of coloring:

I used yellow tissue paper this time, and got some cheap water-based markers to touch on the red-orange because I figured that they would bleed pretty well into tissue paper when I brushed water on 'em. Well they did:

Now I am thinking that maybe I will have to make another trio with white or some such, because these two trios have such similar colors...