New to miniatures and nervous

Kaelus

Hi everyone. I've been visiting this forum for about a month and decided to join since all of the advice I've read so far is great. Anyways I have always wanted a dollhouse and what a great way to spend my spare time by building one. I'm a graduate student and since I am not taking summer classes decided to find a project for the summer and beyond. I ordered the Fairfield and will be starting on it as soon as school is done for the semester.

I am nervous about this project to say the least especially since the last project I had involving wood is still a pile of boards and that was nine years ago.

Hello and welcome! Don't be nervous. Just step right up and open that box! Dollhouses, contrary to popular thought, DO NOT BITE. Tools bite.....and it's OK. You can bite them back!

Anyway welcome! And don't be nervous. Making a dollhouse is a slow and relaxing period in your life. Enjoy it!

Wolfie

Thank you. I have a feeling this project will provide a nice distraction to the boredom of summer. Actually it's already been a distraction from classwork.

hello, kaelus,

i think you've made a fun decision to enliven the summer.

a friend refers to post-grad studies as "gradual school" and sometimes that's a fair description. :noway:

so, what are you studying? and

welcome!

:)

Thanks all.

I am studying archaeology. I am hoping to do my thesis on the Northeastern Great Plains specifically a gendered approach to the mortuary data from the Arvilla Mound Complex. I am waiting to hear from my professor whether my preliminary paper can be adapted to a thesis topic. Hopefully it can or I'm back to the drawing board. Gradual is right.

Archeologist, huh? I'll have to show you pics of my Archeologist doll -- bought for my husband, who studied archeology in college (undergraduate only), and still has a keen interest in the field. He's going to build a roombox...a whole scene, actually, of a 1790 fur trader fort (like here in Wisconsin along the Mississippi), and we'll have the archaeologist digging up the fort foundation in the corner (what actually happened at the Fort where he does reenactments...)

Anyway...another idea for a miniature scene for you! Be careful..this hobby can take over your life! :)

That sounds cool. I have to say I've been tempted to do some sort of archaeological theme but I've decided on a Victorian theme, middle-class house from the 1860s, 70s, or 80s. I am even thinking of attempting a tin decorated ceiling but I think I'll wait until my kit arrives and stay within some sort of budget.

yeah, listen to uppitycats. this hobby is worse than a drug... it will invade your life and wreck your home... all you do is think about small stuff until it consumes all of your daylight hours and most of your dreams....the next thing you know you're skipping meals and eatin cat food to save money for that Bespaq bedroom set or the kitchen cabinets you saw on ebay! in the latter stages of the addiction, you will begin to scour garbage cans to see what you can use for a fix!

be careful Sue...be very very careful!!! you are on the verge of the brink of the abyss!

but you will find that we all happily wrap ourselve in the cloak of our addiction, and it's totally legal. :)

oh, and welcome to the forum!

OMG speaking of Bespaq. I was considering selling a kidney to get some Bespaq furniture. It's gorgeous and would fit perfectly with a victorian theme. I had to sit on my hands in order not to buy any.

Oddly enough I have already dreamed of floating miniature furniture that and skeletons.

OMG speaking of Bespaq. I was considering selling a kidney to get some Bespaq furniture. It's gorgeous and would fit perfectly with a victorian theme. I had to sit on my hands in order not to buy any.

Oddly enough I have already dreamed of floating miniature furniture that and skeletons.

Hi and welcome!

The Fairfield is a lovely house! Can't wait to see how you do yours! I love Bespaq...such a shame the 1/2 scale furniture is just as expensive as the 1 1/2th scale! There is still very pretty 1/2 scale furniture to decorate your Fairfield anyway even if you don't get Bespaq :)

Thanks for the link. None of my excavations have been as we like to call some sites and areas "sexy," such as the Mayan site that won. My sites don't have ruins although one did have two burial mounds and a ditch.

Edited by Kaelus

Welcome to the forum, Sue. DH & I like to visit Indian mounds and read about the different mound-building cultures. You are not in a race with anyone to build your dollhouse(s), it takes however long it takes and it will still be there next summer and the week that your dig gets rained out and you finally finish all your notes and sketches.

Welcome to the group! No need to be nervous - I've found that dollhouses are very patient, understanding entities. When you are ready to start, you'll find lots of eager helpers here, just waiting to answer your questions, view your progress pics, and offer friendly support. :)

supposed to treat the wood with a sealer before painting unless you're staining. Is this correct?
The instructions or the warm-up sheet or somewhere in the kit the suggestion is to shellac anything you don't want to stain, and I used to use clear sanding sealer. If your wood seems very splintery as you start to remove your pieces you might gently replace them in their plywood sheets and stain or seal them first. I've posted elsewhere how I do my floors, which I stain; and anything else I stain, I do it before removing the pieces from the plywood sheets. Now I don't use the sealer if I'm going to paint or wallpaper, I use a flat interior latex paint for primer & prime the pieces after I punch them out. I go ahead and finish off the stained pieces with whatever sealer I'm going to use because in the case of floors where I'm painting the ceiling on the other side sometimes the masking tape on the floor side & edges doesn't prevent some opaint from leaking through onto the floor side, and with the sealer on it it wipes right up with a damp rag.