Coloring egg carton stones

Tams

Can somebody tell me how to do this? I've heard to "dry-brush", but to be honest and risk sounding stupid, I don't know what this is.

Drybrushing means painting VERY lightly without thinning the paint down with water.

You start with a good sized dry brush and dab the end of it in the paint and then wipe the excess off on a paper towel. Then with a light touch, you quickly brush the brush tips over what you are painting, mostly catching the edges and raised portions. It is similar to putting powder on your face with a make-up brush. You will need to have a basecoat of another color on whatever you are drybrushing before you start because drybrushing leaves some of what is underneath showing.

Have you ever done stenciling?

If so, you know how you taptaptap the brush onto the stencil instead of brushing the paint on. Dip your stencil brush in paint (but only the ends) , tap it on plate to remove excess, then lightly taptaptap onto the object. Gives a stipling effect (if I am using the right word)

Just like shutter said! Do a test run until you get the effect you want.

The tuts are awesome! I love working with the egg cartons....mnnnnnnn I think I may stone the whole outside of my Pierce now.....LOL Hey beachpeach, just throw the darned eggs out! Or boil em up and hide em in the yard! Good thing Doug loves deviled eggs!

Wolfie

Thanks for all the suggestions and links. Hopefully, if life quiets down a bit (yea, right!) tonight I can give it a try.

here's another brick tut that is really cool. can't wait to empty the egg carton this weekend and play with it!

http://www.thechinadoll.com/bricktutorial.htm

be sure to post pics. i'm dyin to see how it turns out!

thats the tutorial i used when I did the egg carton stone on my heart arbor entry. it worked out really well ;)

000_3828.jpg

this is a pic of my orchid done w/chalk..and I tore the pieces instead of cutting.

it is a lot of work but I like it..I am a terrible painter, so this solved my problem..now all I have to do is finish the rest of it..

Well, I'm hoping very hard to be able to experiment this afternoon after I pick up daughter from work. Experimenting never hurt anything, right??? Plus, less likely to get splinters from egg cartons!! ROFL

Looking forward to seeing your results, Tams. I will try the egg carton approach on one of the houses - the texture is so realistic. Everyone has done a wonderful job, judging by the pics posted here.

I got started on it tonight after Easter dinner and the Dog marathon! Here's a picture of what I have done so far.

DSC05901.jpg

Wow! You all are making me re-think the concrete wall look that I did for the E.row. I like the look of the bigger stones.

Maybe I will do it for the Kozbro tower instead.

Thank you, Everyone. I am really excited to get this house done. This is my first time to try something different like this and I'm so happy with the way it's turning out.

HOLY HANNAH! THAT IS GORGEOUS! OK, I'm going out to buy more eggs! I love that look! I WAS going to clapboard the Pierce, but now I'm thinking more rock/stone etc.! Wow! Love it! And you are doing a beautiful job!

Eat more eggs Doug, they are sooooo good for you! Here let me help you! I have 15 left for you! More deviled eggs Doug? Egg salad anyone?

Wolfie