closing of walmart fabric and crafts dept

grazhina

I read a lot of postings on various boards about Walmart closing its fabric department. I've seen that it was claimed that they were phasing this dept out in urban areas, but I've read that they've already closed them in some rural stores too. I am miffed. They are replacing the department with one for "celebrations". Even though the word crafts has been included in the letter they sent out to someoneorother, you know the crafts will be primarily for scrapbooking and other paper stuff. And like there aren't enough party stores as it is.

You can sign this petition I found online, if you care to.

I was told by my local walmart that they have been told that there department is not gonna close. They are gonna open another Super Walmart in 2 years in my area and THAT store does not show a fabric section. It says "Celebration" section too (now the Super walmart is gonna replace my local one, looks like the fabric section is closing though the ladies still said "no, we are not closing") . All fabric will be sold in bags (so we can't touch them) and already cut to a certain size.

I found the petiton in question had been hijacked from another petiton to walmart about something else entirely. sorry about that, but there are other petitions forming elsewhere, or email walmart

I'm miffed again about the hijacked petition :blink:

They are closing the craft department too, or just the fabrics? I would be interested in any information about this.

I deleted your original link because as you mentioned, it seems to be unrelated to the fabric department issue.

Thanks!

Dean

I was at Wal-Mart this afternoon --why should today be different from any other day? -- and chatted with the fabric department lady. She said that so far she has had no guidance from HQ as to whether/when her department will be closing. She is still able to order what she wants and gets it without any problems.

Kathy the Ladies in our fabric Dept came to work one day and found clearance signs on everything

on a monday and by friday it was gone.

they are not taking crafts out but they have been downsizing them for awhile now and the selection is very limited. VERY!

I was able to sign the correct petition but I do not have the link for it.

sad days ahead with no readily available supplies!

nutti :thumb:

We are getting a new super Walmart here by the end of this year. I asked the fabric lady if they were going to have a fabric department and she said yes. However, I must say, her eyes shifted to the side when she said that. Makes me wonder. They are probably not going to have one and just don't want to say so at the moment. People in our small town can get upset about things like that! :thumb:

Hi-

There was another post about this recently:

Fabric Post

I included a link to Wal-Mart's site where you can email them. They received so many complaints form the people in my area that they decided to postpone the closing of the fabric department in the 3 wal-mart's closest to me. At least we can try!

Thats terrible that Walmart would do that. I never particularly shopped at the craft department at my local Walmart because they had more floral and fabric things available than anything else but I do remember I was able to find some minis in there at one point and then theres some paint I also found there. It would have been nice if they kept it. Thats one less store now in my area for mini craft supplies.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I sometimes wonder about Hobby Lobby and how long before they will axe the dollhouse department. The craft department person I used to talk to in the Chicagp suburbs said they might discontinue it. So far it looks good but if they don't make money it goes. I have asked them many times to get Greenleaf houses. They had all the Duracraft and haven't replaced them. They have RGT only, except for the Orchid. How do we get across to them. I spend quite a bit there. It seems scrapbooking is the "in thing" now.

Pat

i went to a Hobby-Rob-Me out in the burbs not to long ago specifically to look at the dollhouse stuff and i was sorely disappointed! it was in the back corner of the store and consisted of 1/2 of one side of an isle... looked to me like it was being phased out and the only DH that they had Was an Orchid, 1 package of trim, 1 pkg of baseboards, 1 pkg of shingles etc etc. i won't be goin back.

I just came from Wal-mart and I over heard 2 of the ladies talking about they were closing the fabric but were keeping the craft section......they also said it was sad that they were doing away with the fabric department......

The first Super Wally World in Tassahassee is all torn up undergoing remodeling & moving everything around and there is NO more fabric department and hardly any craft section to speak of (unless you like beads or scrapbooking...)