Making Curtains

MiniDoxLuvr

I have not made curtains for my houses in a long time. I want to do it again, however, because mini curtains are too expensive and I dont think they look all that fabulous for the prices the mini suppliers charge.

So that being said, can anyone share their curtain/drapery making tips? I am very good at valences, it is the actual drapes I'd like to get some suggestions on. When i made them years ago I did not have any internet resources and I think I could do them better now by incorporating tips from others.

So...anyone have any tips to share? I am especially interested in the best way to make pleated curtains.

Peggi sent me a plastic something or other (we still haven't figured out what it's recycled from) that resembles currogated cardboard that she has used to pleat drapes successfully, I haven't had occasion o make pleated drapes since getting the spare. You can make your own "pretty pleater" by gluing bamboo skewers to a flat piece of wood or card and seal it, and use one of those fakey "free" credit cards-things you get in your junk mail to squoosh the fabric into the creases and then spray the bejabbers out of it with spray starch. "In the day" (before all these other methods) I pleated my material as tightly as possible, stitched a basting thread through all the layers and then steam-pressed the basted strip and removed the thread.

• Like 1

You can also use the pinning and starch method for "looser" looking curtain drapes. ie use a styrofoam base that you can stick needles in which is also not dmaged by getting wet. Spray the starch on the back of the fabric, pin the edges where you want them, tuck and fold and pin as you along until you have the piece as creased as you want it to be, let dry and remove the needles and there it is.

Oh, you should first start with folding in the edges neatley both lenghtwise as well as the bottom "hem", the top will be hidden...

Hugs

Another great tip Anna! THese both are exactly the type of tips I was looking for...if anyone has more, keep them coming!

Another question - what is the BEST type of fabric for this job? I think I used to use a lot of thin, knit type polyester because it was so thin and laid very easily for this type of scale work. ANy otehr suggestions? What type of fabric works best with the spray starch?

A type that does not ravel I am sure is best, any other hints?

I find that cottons or silks work best, because they will hold a pleat. If synthetic, crumple a corner of the fabric. If it wrinkles easily, then it should pleat well. It doesn't matter if the fabric ravels. By the time you glue the hems and starch it to death, you won't have any stray fibers!

A real good book on this is Dolls House Do-It-Yourself: Curtains, by Sue Heaser. It shows most drapery making techniques you will ever need. Costs about $14.95. I borrowed mine through the public library's interlibrary loan program for nothing, but it is so good I am thinking about buying it and other books in the Dolls House Do-It-Yourself series.

http://www.amazon.com/Dolls-House-Do-Yours...8380250-0237760

Jeri

I've had the most luck with silks because the fibers are fine enough that they work in 1:12 scale and they drape very nicely. 100% cottons (especially quilting fabrics) are my next choice because they also have a finer weave and smooth finish. The best fabric comes from quilting store, and I don't mean that to sound snobby, but it's true that quilting stores do have a higher quality of fabric than discount stores. (Fabric is marketed in grades of quality, kinda like the thread count in sheets, and the quilt stores stock the finer weaves, craft stores like Joanns and Hobby Lobby carry the mid-level and discount stores usually have the third level with a slightly rougher weave.) Of course, the cost is proportionate to the grade of fabric, but quilt store carry fat quarters and remnants so you can still pick up a small amount of high quality fabric at a reasonable price. The finer the weave of the fabric, the more it will look in scale with minis.

There's a tutorial for making your own pleater here, just scroll down the thread to find the picture. I use undiluted liquid starch and brush it on the fabric after I've laid it over the pleater, then put skinny sticks in the grooves to hold them in place while they dry. (test the starch on a sample of the fabric first as some fabrics such as sheers can look a little splotchy if the starch doesn't soak in evenly) For a looser pleat, take the fabric out while it's still just *slightly* damp, for a crisp pleat, leave them in overnight. As Jeri said, there won't be any loose threads after they've been starched... all you have to do is trim the edges. For a finished edge, glue silk ribbon to the edges.

Deb

I just got the Sue Heaser book the other day, and she makes it sound so easy, even *I* am going to try it! She does say polyester is the *worst* to use because it doesn't hold pleats well...

I found some not-quite-yard remnants of some pretty silk stuff at HobbyLobby the other day, that I'm going to use for living room curtains for Lady Garfield. But first I'm going to do some out of plain white handkerchiefs, just to see if I can do it.. brave soul that I am... :wave:

I just got the Sue Heaser book the other day, and she makes it sound so easy, even *I* am going to try it! She does say polyester is the *worst* to use because it doesn't hold pleats well...

I found some not-quite-yard remnants of some pretty silk stuff at HobbyLobby the other day, that I'm going to use for living room curtains for Lady Garfield. But first I'm going to do some out of plain white handkerchiefs, just to see if I can do it.. brave soul that I am... :wave:

thank you for this comment about that book! Ironically I placed that book in my amazon shopping cart earlier today! So glad to hear from someone who has it! I got busy and left it in the cart to come back to later...now I know i will buy it!

Oh and when i mentioned knit polyester type fabrics, I meant for non pleated curtains...I know that it is thin and hangs well for curtains that you might want to just tie back, not for pleats, works well for bed dressings and such too . I did bed spreads with it before because it folds and hangs over so easily and is to scale. A thicker fabric I have a hard time with on table clotsh, bedspreads, etc.

Good tip about quilting fabric being higher end than discount store fabric. Makes sense! Good news is - for miniaturists we dont need a LOT of fabric so it makes it easier to spend a little bit extra per yard!

There are many curtain making books out there on the market.....the one I love to use is D. Anne Ruff's curtain directions along with her "shaper" and the pretty pleaters. I make sheer curtains under my drapes - either plain or Austrian style - my personal favorite. None of them are easy to do, but my experience with making drapes is to use either cotton without polyester, or silk or a silk blend. Indeed crumpling a corner of the fabric to see how it works is a great idea! I use plain cotton for my cape cods which I have patterns for. The ones in this picture are plain white cotton trimmed with 1/4" cotton lace. Poly lace goes not glue well nor does it pleat well. These are not pleated except by running damp fingers where I want the folds to be. This is the back wall of the Pierce. I've made a change in the units in the Pierce opting for stained wood rather than all white.

Wolfie

I definitely am looking to make regal style drapes and cornices, both in my Vermont Farmhouse and My Linfield Victorian. So the polyester style I was referring to that you just tie and hang would not do what I want anyway.

Will definitely look for fabric that wrinkles when crumpled. Funny, this may be the only time in my life that a fabric that wrinkles easily is a plus LOL

I made pleats years ago by wetting the fabric and pleating by hand then spraying with hairspray. The spray starch method and using pins or pleating on a pleater should definitely yield better results. I want my victorian to have lavish draperies and also in my dining and living room of the Vermont. Lavish window dressings can definitely add a regal flair to a room so I am going to research and practice these ideas and techniques everyone offered for sure. I don't want to sew, maybe minimally, but I want to use glue as much as possible as I don't enjoy sewing very much but will do it when necessary.

What is a pretty pleater? IS this specifically for dollhouse pleats? Where would I find one?

I also want to make sheer panels so any tips for that, please share!

what is the BEST type of fabric for this job?...What type of fabric works best with the spray starch?
Natural fabrics (cotton, silk).
A type that does not ravel I am sure is best
If you paint the edges with a dilute solution of tacky glue (or fabric glue) raveling ought not to be a problem.
Holly and I both have used old silk ties--not necessarily to drape, but they do hang pretty.
I've upholstered with both silk & polyester ties, but polyester doesn't hold pleats or creases worth a darn; I have used silk ties to dress dolls: tn_gallery_8_8_13406.jpgtn_gallery_6_138_83967.jpg
What is a pretty pleater? IS this specifically for dollhouse pleats? Where would I find one?
The Pretty Pleater, invented by d. Anne Ruff, comes in three sizes and IMO costs a lot more than making one from the aforementioned bamboo skewers to do the same job. You can Google for it to get the site, or most dh & miniature shops carry them.

I purchased a book about 5 years ago called Dolls' House Window Treatments by Eve Harwood. I found it really helpful in not only making the curtains, but there were great ideas in there as well. I bought a Pretty Pleater at the same time. I got these from my local Miniature Shope, but I'm sure you would be able to find them at any miniature ship. I made all the curtains for my Beacon Hill that is posted in the Members Gallery.

I don't want to sew, maybe minimally, but I want to use glue as much as possible as I don't enjoy sewing very much but will do it when necessary.

I also want to make sheer panels so any tips for that, please share!

As for not wanting to sew, gluing works better in many ways. Most curtain making methods I have seen use little or no sewing.

Here is the link for the pretty pleater. They are not cheap, so don't buy one unless you plan on making lots of curtains. This tends to give stiff, formal, uniform pleats. You can make your own version out of craft sticks and a board.

http://danneruff.com/pleater.htm

I picked up the March issue of Miniature Collector today and it has a pattern and instructions to make a festoon and jabot window treatment. It looks nice and failry easy. I'm going to try it for my living room windows in my San Fran.

You don't have to sew your curtains or drapes. I use Aileen's Tacky Glue for everything. The curtains in the picture I posted are all glued. They are hemmed and the lace is attached with glue. The tops are folded and glued and then I ran a dowel through them and gathered them by hand - not sewn - and put the ends on the dowel. I also use hair spray and finger press the folds, then just glue the ends down.

There are many articles in Nutshell News and other booklets. For example:

Nutshell News - april 89, P 88 - The Well Dressed Window covers swags and drapes and was authored by D. Anne Ruff.

I have a book entitled: How to Sew Miniature Curtains for your Doll House by Karen Pieper - 1990. She covers long and short curtains, shirback swag curtains, valences and trims including ruffles and tiebacks - with little or new sewing! I made my curtins from her patterns.

Another book I have - which is very old - Miniature Window Treatments Volume II - by LaVonne Nye - 1979. She covers pinch pleating and various rod and valance treatments with little or new sewing. Mostly gluing.

Also Miniature Window Treatments - Vol III - 1970 by LaVonne Nye. In this one she covers swags, austrian and roman shades. I never did get Volume I. They are antiques now!

Dollhouse Miniatures - 5/99 - P45. Decorative window Treatments. Wonderful article!

Also Dollhouse Miniatures - 1/01 - P 46. Parlor to Penthouse - some very interesting window treatments.

There are many ore projects contained in the covers of Nutshell News and Dollhouse Miniatures.

Pretty Pleaters are expensive, but to a dollmaker they are invaluable. From making drapes to waving hair and pleating tiny laces and bottoms of fancy skirts - they are a good investment. They are rubber and easy to use....and you can use old credit cards to push the folds in. I tried making the cardboard pleaters and tried using corrogated paper, but they just didn't hold up. I used to make and sell drapery units that just glued in place on windows. They consisted of sheers pleated under pleated drapes with a cornice or valance over them. They really look nice in a dollhouse and as soon as I can get going on the tower windows and the other windows I'll be using many kinds of drapery treatments. The ones inthe dining and living room will be very formal, and the bedrooms will be criss-cross sheers probably or perhaps even an Austrian. The kitchen will be all Cape Cods......as you can see above.

If you are going to make a lot of curtains and/or drapes then don't be afraid to invest in the Pretty Pleaters. They will make your life a lot easier. Oh and Millie Beachum also came out with a book on making curtains and drapes....I forget which year.

I'm in the middle of a massive project right now. Using Excell I'm going through each of my magazines and putting all the projects and interesting articles in alphabetical and catagorized manner. This I have done with all my doll magazines, making special costumes and/or techniques easy to find on the computer. I also have a complete 10 year set of scans of my favorite doll magazines on CD.....this way it's even easier to locate an article or just to browse for ideas. Plus the patterns are then - just print them out. Computers can make your life easier!

Wolfie

Thank you for all the wonderful information here on curtains! Many of my windows are plain because I am not gifted when it comes to any fabric! I hope to start with some of the easier tips here and learn as I go.