We've begun!!!!!!!

porshiepoo

Well, we finally got past the gawping at the box and made a start on my daughters Pierce dollhouse.

Didn't go too badly, although we made silly mistakes that won't happen again, such as having to rip off stuck newspaper from the base and then having to sand the area down, broke one of the lattice bits by being too heavy handed and broke a stair part. All things are fixed though and not looking too bad.

We put the floor base on yesterday and have just braced it and left it to dry. Started on the stairs now.

Have to say the directions don't make much sense at this particular point so I guess we'll just learn by experience.

I emailed a few of the carpet companies in the UK and asked what they do with their old carpet samples as they'd do well in the doll house - a few have emailed back asking me exactly what I want and said they'll send me some post free - how nice is that. Found a good site for free downloadable wallpaper too.

Will try to get piccies going soon.

:yikes:

It took me about a half dozen readings of the instructions to even begin work, and by the time I finished (2 years later!) they are well-worn. So you're doing fine.

As for the carpet samples...just make sure they're not too thick. Some of the samples would look way out of place because of their thick backing. But you could try for wallpaper samples. I've found some nice ones. Unfortunately there might not be enough of any one pattern, but I think I'll be able to mix and match a bit, or use some as borders.

But you're a long way from needing any of that, just yet! :yikes: Have fun!

:yikes: HHHHHOOOOOORRAAAHHHHHHHH :p

Im happy you finally took those first steps!

good for yall. I always enjoy starting a new project.

as for carpeting may I suggest upolstery material. the material used for big chairs and sofa's

much more to scale than regular carpeting I would think....its what I use when carpeting....and even very thick material such as a suede or velvetine.

I cant wait to see....do take photos if not for sharing but for remembering all the little things you had to do to make a dollhouse kit a dollhouse home.

Happy Building!

nutti :beer:

It is a bit intimidating to first look over the instructions to a large house. I also remember thinking "what have I gotten myself into" well four built and 4 more kits waiting to get built later, I've answered my question. I've gotten myself into a lot of fun and challenges.

You'll be surprised at how many times you will finally figure the instructions out and then only then does the light bulb come on and say "Oh Yeah, that is what that meant" :yikes:

In the right colors carpet damples can be used for exterior landscaping. Upholstery fabrics, as Nutti mentioned, are much more in scale for a dollhouse. If the dollhouse is 1/12 the dimensions of a full-sized house, the carpets should only be 1/12 as thick, etc.

In the right colors carpet damples can be used for exterior landscaping. Upholstery fabrics, as Nutti mentioned, are much more in scale for a dollhouse. If the dollhouse is 1/12 the dimensions of a full-sized house, the carpets should only be 1/12 as thick, etc.

[/quote

]

Oops! I never thought of that. :cheer:

I'll have to scrap that idea and think outside the box. lol. What about Vinyl / lino??????

Too late Kokki. lol.

We had to take the entire stairs apart, sand paper them and start again. :banana: We never thought about checking the tabs etc at the bottom. Oops!

Also, we've now noticed that we have one of the porch lattice pieces on upside down and it would be the one with the little slots in for the porch steps. Any ideas?????? :clap:

Also, we've now noticed that we have one of the porch lattice pieces on upside down and it would be the one with the little slots in for the porch steps. Any ideas?
You mean besides taking your trusty craft knife & a vinegar & water solution and wetting the join and very gently insinuating the knifeblade in there to wiggle the pieces apart? You could always saw off the tabs for the porch steps and pray glue alone will hold them, Or see if you can work a heavyduty stapler in there to staple the steps to the foundation after you glue them. This is why whenever anyone askes, the first step is ALWAYS to dry-fit. I have built a kit or two, and I continue to dry-fit, even if it's a kit I've built several times before.

This is why whenever anyone askes, the first step is ALWAYS to dry-fit. I have built a kit or two, and I continue to dry-fit, even if it's a kit I've built several times before.

House kits are like cats and computer keyboards. Even tho they all have the same parts in the same places, each one has it's own characteristics. :D

Linda, don't feel bad about the porch lattice pieces going on upside down. I did the exact same thing on my Pierce. I discovered it before the glue had completely hardened, so I was able to take it apart and reglue it rightside up. However, if that's the only lattice piece of the foundation that's upside down and you don't want to pry it apart, you can cut the tabs off the porch steps and simple leave them as a movable part, or glue them flat against the foundation. (my personal preference for large houses is to leave the porch steps unattached anyway, especially if the house is going to be moved)

If the other lattice pieces are also upside down, then you may want to take a close look at whether or not the whole foundation is correct and how the floor is resting on the foundation to be sure it's flush. If your foundation is off, you'll see increasing problems with squaring up the walls and floors as you build and end up with large gaps on the third floor. But if that one piece is the only one upside down, then you're good to go.

Deb