Searching for a Sewing Machine

Ms. Mini

Evening everyone :)

Im searching the web right now trying to find a good starter sewing machine for myself. right now i have one of those cheap ones from walmart that was like 15 bucks. but I need something that I can start sewing curtains, beding, etc. on. what do all of you use? any tips or recommendations? Something that has a resonisble price too...

Thanks in advance! :wave:

Try getting one secondhand. Ch,eck out garage sales, flea markets, thrift shops. I find that the cheap ones are affordable and are usually easier to use. Most old ones work fine too, see if you can test it out before you buy it. Sewing machines arent really an online thing to buy in my opinion but I guess you can try ebay.

Kenmore or Singer are very good. They are both pretty pricey. Two of my sister-in-laws sew for a living and they told me that Brother was also a good brand. I am going on Wednesday to get my 1st sewing machine. I found one at Walmart for $148.84. It is Brother brand and has alot of different feet and alot of different styles of stitches. Walmart also has some lower priced ones around $50-$100 that are made by Brother. I'm not really happy with Walmart right now since they are taking out all the fabric, patterns, and most yarn out of all their super centers. :wave: I asked if they would still have the sewing machines, and was told "Maybe a couple, not sure". I would go and look to compare. I couldn't decide from looking online. I'm the touchy feely type and need to see things in person. Just me. :)

Those are all good brands. I have to get mine, which was my mom's Kenmore machine fixed. The bobbin keeps coming out and won't work right. My local Joann's has a guy who comes in on Wednesdays to fix them. My neice really wants to learn how to sew and it's a good machine so I'll have to get it fixed. I'm not much of one who sews, but I do know all the basics.

My mother has a million dollar New Home machine that does everything including the laundry. It's way too much stuff for me. I have her old machine, a Singer that is um...about 40 years old. It will sew ANYTHING. However I would recommend a machine from Joanns. I think they are Brother. If you go to Walmart, compare the machines from both stores. Same brand does not mean same quality. (glidden used to be at both Home Depot and Kmart, but the Kmart glidden sucked) Congrats on the new machine in advance.

The brand or type of sewing machine isn't important to me .... as long as my sister-in-law is the one who's using it. I only do a few handstitches here and there; otherwise, I take my sewing to my Tailor or my SIL. Jackie's terrific.

-Susanne

If you can buy one secondhand get a Singer. The old Singers were great but the new ones aren't nearly the same quality. It really depends on what you want to do with it. If it is just simple sewing I would say go with a Kenmore or Brother. I'm a quilter and do machine quilting so I need a top of the line kind of machine. I use a Bernina. I bought it many years ago when they were getting rid of the model I have. It is the highest model before you get computerized. I love it. I also love my mother's computerized one. If you are going to get into quilting I would suggest Viking or Bernina. Every instructor of quilting classes I took recommended them. Hope that helps.

A Singer, Bernina or a Husqvarna is what I have used before, I have a Husqvarna right now, and am happy with that one, my MIL uses a Husqvarna that also has the embroidery function, yay.... Not necessary for basic sewing though....

Hugs

I'm still using my Elna sewing machine, bought about 40 years ago :ohyeah: .

It's small & has never has never let me down. It's done huge curtains as well as numerous mini skirts in the past. It doesn't see daylight much these days, but I wouldn't be without it.

I don't think Elna are still in business, but thought you might see a 2nd hand one.

Good luck,

Jackie

My grandmother bought me one with electronic controls that does pretty much everything. I've used it once. I can't figure it out. I'm still sewing on her 1940's White. It does one stitch, forward and backward. But at least I can figure out how to wind the bobbin.

Unless you're tremendously skilled with electronics? Find an old machine. The fewer components involved, the more likely you'll be able to service and repair it yourself. My Mother in law has a Bernina that does embroidery and everything. It needs work every three or four months, from a specialty shop. You don't want that kind of service requirement. The stuff built before 1970 can usually be repaired by anyone with moderate ability to read the manual.

I looked at various sewing machines a while back too. I couldn't decide which would serve my needs, so I have put off getting on. I would say though that if your Walmart is getting rid of the fabric dept. and they aren't sure if they will carry sewing machines any longer, be cautious about getting one from there. If something were to happen to it, you may not be able to get it replaced.

I have an Olympia which does everything except make my coffee and everytime I want to use it, I have to get out the manual. I also have two Singer treadle machines and I use them all the time. They are fabulous and no manuals. In my opinion, you can't beat a Singer treadle sewing machine.

I made a mistake. It's not an Olympia, have no idea why I thought that, it's an Omega. Shows you how long it's been since I used it.

what do all of you use? any tips or recommendations? Something that has a resonisble price too...

Thanks in advance! :ohyeah:

I have a Jenome LE (currently $149). My first sewing machine was a used Kenmore ($46 used). Mabyn has a straight stitch kids Singer(was a gift). My advice is to find a specialtiy store with a machine tech. They sometimes have used machines, too. It has been my experience that these stores will show you how to use it, find what is the best machine for you and if something breaks there is a repair person on site. Our Joanns doesn't have a tech, all the can do is send machines that they have send back to manufacture for repair. Same with most other department stores, they have to send it somewhere for repairs.

I have two machines.

First I bought a Brother at Walmart for under $100 about 5 yrs ago. It works pretty good. Then I found an old Singer at a yard sale. I love her! Reminds me of my mom`s black singer..Has the same oil smell when it runs.

Ahhh! Memories.

I have always used Bernina. Mine is 20 years old and still sews like a dream. It is powerful and reliable. All the women in my family sew with Bernina and have had similar experiences.

If you go with their mechanical, rather than computerized models, the prices are very reasonable. The computerized ones are very expensive (the one I have my eye one costs nearly $4000), way too much for a first machine.

So I recommend a mechanical Bernina new, or any Bernina used that you can afford. If you go used, but from a Bernina dealer so that you know that it has been checked out and reconditioned.

Good luck!

Having a place to take it for repairs is EVERYTHING!!!! Some of the retailers will SEND THEIR REPAIRS OUT...meaning 100 miles away or so. And you won't see it for weeks. I have a 30+ year old SINGER Golden Touch & Sew, still chugging away and I can always bring it in to my local dealer here for problems....he even deals with the tredle machine parts too :w00t:

I will swear by my SINGER. If you have a (jack of all trades?) repairman around/nearby you that services sewing machines...ask him some questions. :ohyeah:

I have an old machine From sears of jcpennys, it works well with a sraight sticth on heavy fabric for regular sewing I have a regulas and a serger from White, I also have a very old 1905? singer that had been converted from a tredle to electric that once belonged to my greatgrandmother, I dont know if it works as it need a new plug before I can use it and i have been way to busy to check it out. If I had a choice, and the money, to get any machine I would get a top of the line viking.

Melissa

I have a Kenmore that DH bought me the first Christmas we were married, 32 YEARS AGO! It still runs like a charm. Never had a problem with it. About 5 years ago we went to a Singer Sewing Machine Show. He wanted to buy me a new machine. I wasn't impressed and wanted to just keep my old Kenmore. The newer machines are mostly plastic not heavy metal like my old one. I just feel like anything else the older models are made better. If you could pick up a refurbished older one that would be great! (in my opinion) :ohyeah:

I'll cast another vote for Brother. I received one for Christmas several years ago and I love it to death. I think I hugged it the first time it sewed a perfect button hole for me by itself! :ohyeah: I think looking for used machines at a repair shop would be a great idea. You could get a nicer machine for considerably less. It might not come with an insruction book, but they could show you how to use it.

I have been sewing for many years, and the best advice I can give you is to make a list of what you want the machine to do; mending, general household things, or will you eventually want to make blue jeans, and do quilting. Take your list to your local sewing center and ask what they have. Most sewing centers have quite a good supply of used machines that have been reconditioned. Many people trade up and turn in their old ones and you should be able to find one for a reasonable price. Reputable sewing centers are usually pretty helpful, as you will return when you want to trade up. I started sewing on an old Singer treadle machine with my chin about even with the needle. I have had 2 Singers since then and yes I still have both of them and they still work beautifully, but the new Singers aren't terribly reliable. I have recently bought a Janome(not computerized, I didn't want to have to list it in my will) and I am satisfied with it. Take your time and try them out. A good one can be a real pleasure and one that isn't is just about the most frustrating thing going.

Good luck and have fun!

Shirley