Tatooes

Missymew

I don't have any, i wouldn't consider such a permanent marking on my skin. However I do think they can be pretty and interesting on someone else's skin! Plus, even though i'm a nurse and like to give other people shots, i don't like any sort of needle coming my direction :unsure:

One of my best friends got a Comanche war feather tattooed onto her left shoulder when her first novel, Ride the Wind, sold. She threatened to get her whole upper body tattooed when she sold Tokaido Road!, but in the ensuing years she thought better of it... My youngest son tattoed himself.

Tattoos/ "tats" are an ancient art form; my personal favorites are those the Maori wore, but I never got past getting my ears pierced!

I don't have any. Neither does DH or youngest daughter. Oldest one has a dragon on tummy and some eyeball things on her wrists. (egyptian sign I think) My daughter's boyfriend is a tattooer guy, he has a ton of them. Some bottomless girls (?) and a lot of starwars guys. (I told him he would have to put panties on those girls before he could have babies with my daughter). A LOT of our friends have them. They all have a story for each one they got.

I'm interested in tattoos. I'd like to get one myself some day. I'm not bothered by needles at all.

My brother got a couple of tattoos when he was in the Canadian Navy. He has a large tattoo on his forearm that says "Death before Dishonour", and another one on his bicep that has a heart and says "mum". He always was a mummy's boy. :unsure:

My nephew has a large wolf (he designed himself) on his leg between his ankle and his knee.

BTW, I looked up tattoo in the dictionary. Plural is tattoos, but if you're looking at past tense it would be tattooed.

Interesting.

And Greg, you still have to post photoes of the tattoos on your back and wrist.

-Susanne

Ah, tattoos. Younger son has two -- one on left shoulder blade is an odd winged critter and the right shoulder blade sports a female guitarist. His girfriend is actually a tattoo artist -- well, she's a student, actually -- but she is a licensed tattooist in Radford. Those are the only two he has -- the Army says he can't have them show over his collar or his sleeves, but I'm sure he'll evenutally have more.

Would I have one? Not until Satan needs snowshoes 'cause I think they're incredibly tacky. (Please be advised that I already know that Eleanor Roosevelt had a tattoo so there's no need to inform me of that and I still think they're incredibly tacky)

Now I want to know - who's got a tatoo/s ... can you post photos of these tatooes?

Boy Susanne, you sure know how to lead people into temptation don't you! <cackle> I've seen tats in places where photos aren't taken, let alone shared on a G-rated forum!!

Oddly enough, I don't have any, even tho I like them. Most of my friends have tats and I've hung out in a lot of tatoo parlors holding their hands (or laughing at them). The reason I don't have any is because I've never found anything I like well enough to look at every day for the rest of my life. (for some reason it worries Bruce when I say that, but I tell him he's the exception to the rule)

Deb

I don't have one but have thought about it, more than once. Something small and delicate. Alot of my friends have them. My son has 2, both on his legs. One is his zodiac sign and the other is a memorial of his father- date of birth and death and his initials.

The worse one I have ever seen, was on a kid who applied for a job at my store, he had jagged lines on his throat and forehead. It looked like his head had been sewn on! Just like Frankenstein's monster. So very creepy. Very nice kid but there wasn't any way I could hire him to work around little kids. He scared me, so I could imagine what he'd do to 3 and 4 year olds.

I have 2 tatoos

one on my ankle I got when my daughter was 2 for mothers day.

14 yrs ago..WOW

and a lady bug on my neck....but it was pooely done so someday it will be a butterfly.

I have always liked a nice tatoo and if I had the guts I would do a Jadzier Dax tat on my face and neck...awesome work.

but nekid ladies and devil worship tats in places they cant be covered is tacky!

and Wende if ya want one get one...I mean what does 60 mean.

I have one designed for if and when I can be a normal size again...I could be 60 by than...but Ill be gettin it done anyway.

ya dont have to get some large slap ya in the face tat. the one on my ankle is covered by socks.

and my lady bug is covered by my hair when I wear it down.

I like some peircings also. gonna get my nose done for valentines day.

weird thread...someone should move it to chit chat :lol:

nutti :lol: :D

no ink here.

i'm too allergic to too many things, and too cowardly. i get allergy shots and don't mind injections, but just the idea of getting repeatedly stuck ... nope, call me craven.

body art can be glorious, or not. i've seen some amazing work.

my dsd has a pretty butterfly on her shoulder.

when she was planning her wedding, it was really funny to see her try to find a wedding dress that was sleeveless (it was late summer) and that would still covered the tat.

she did manage it, and she was so sweet, trying to avoid unsettling the family elders.

but when they saw the woman minister and then the minister pronounced the couple Wife and Husband ...

i figured the tatoo would have been a minor issue.

Woo hoo love them tattoos Greg.......(smile)

I have two one on my left breast of a butterfly and one on my right shoulder of a shooting star laying over a quarter moon......and NO Im not taking pictures. hehehe

I love to have a couple of more but now at this time, I havent made the effort to go have them done.

Deborah

In my neuro clinical in nursing school I had to help our "baby" classmate clean & bathe her patient (without actually doing any of the work for her, some wierd idea our professor had that she could handle it), who was an older lady who had suffered a stroke. This lady was a former biker gang member (I'm not sure her stroke wan't brought on by lifestyle, but that's another story) and had some interesting tattoos, but it made me glad I hadn't gotten any. Particularly larger tats on older ladies give me an esthetic headach, although my friend's feather still looks pretty.

I did have to fight the urge not to laugh the last time we flew to visit our son in VA, we changed planes in Raleigh and there was a group of older French tourists, and one of the ladies had a pierced lower lip that did not become her. (Although it wasn't as bad as the young person of indeterminate gender who got on the BART bus we were riding in San Francisco one trip; I don't think there was any part of his/her body that wasn't pierced!)

Bringing this thread on topic, I tattooed the forearms of my pub's owner.

I dont have any tattoos but the reason isnt cause I dont like them (DH has one on his arm) or because I am afraid of pain ( I had two kids for gosh sakes).

My dad had tattoos up and down his arms. He had gotten them while working on merchant ships in the 1930s and 40s.

They were the old blue dye ones. He never wanted any of his children to get tattoos. None of the four of us did.

I have two tats. One on each ankle.

Dolphin on my inside left. I really didn't like how the water turned out, but I have to live with it. Most other people like it.

post-19-1168006509_thumb.jpg

A Tribal with a blue rose on my outside right.

post-19-1168006539_thumb.jpg

her first novel, Ride the Wind, sold.

Lucia St. Clair Robson? I wore out three paperback copies. I really love that book. :D Two thunbs up. :lol: :lol: Historical novels really aren't my kind of reading.

I have three tatoos . . . one on my lower back, one on my left ankle and one on my inner left wrist.

I'll take pictures and post them later . . . it's early and I'm not bendable yet!

Okay, I've done my morning chores and exercised so now I'm bendable enough to take pictures! :D

This is my bird tatoo on my left ankle post-267-1168022693_thumb.jpg

This tatoo is on my left inner wrist and is the Chinese symbol for 'Faith' post-267-1168022707_thumb.jpg

And this lovely is the garden on my lower back . . . notice the fairy to the upper right post-267-1168022719_thumb.jpg Ugh . . . you can also see my scar from my lower back surgery. :lol:

I'm also thinking about extending the tatoo on my ankle with a vine and flowers which will go across the front of my leg towards my foot . . . I'm just working up the courage! :lol:

Edited by MiniMadWoman

I have one on my back, it is a butterfly that is blue, purple, and a little bit of pink. I got mine when I was a senior in high school and then for some reason the rest of my friends wanted one after I got mine. My mom and dad even got one after I did. My mom has a picture of our chocolate lab on her ankle and it looks so realistic, my dad has barbed wire design around his arm. If anyone every decides to get one, put a lot of thought into and get something you know you will like forever and not just something you like at the moment like a cartoon character or something. It didn't hurt as bad as I thought it would but it depends on where you get them. I figure you only live once (at least in your current body) so why not add some color and uniqueness to it. lol

This lady was a former biker gang member (I'm not sure her stroke wan't brought on by lifestyle, but that's another story) and had some interesting tattoos, but it made me glad I hadn't gotten any. Particularly larger tats on older ladies give me an esthetic headach, although my friend's feather still looks pretty.

It really depends on where you get it and if it will look good when you get older. This is what I thought about when I got mine and figured one on my back wouldn't look that bad as I got older.

I don't have any. Toyed with thte idea once but just isn't for me I think. They can be nice, but so many are not so nice.

By the way they did an article in the paper recently about tattoos recently and how so many are getting tats in other languages. It turns out that a lot of the translations are very wrong. You may want to do some research before you get one in another language.

( I have a pair of earrings that has something written the top of them that I have no idea what it means so I have been afraid to wear them. I love the stone in them. I wish I knew someone who could translate it for me.)

I'm with you Susanne, I love them and I would love to get one. I won't though mainly because of my age. I just can't see a woman hitting 60 getting a tattoo. I wish I had done it years ago.

I don't think it is ever too late to get one. :-)

I'm loving these tattoos! Now I'm even more determined to get one.

I'd like to get one either on my lower back, nape of my neck, ankle or wrist. Since I'm 55 years old, I have to be careful that I don't get one put in a location that could sag one day!!

Thank you so much for showing off your tattoos.

-Susanne