Pet Shop Nearing Completion

KathieB

The pet shop has been waiting patiently since early September. Yesterday and today I hit it big time. Progress shots in my blog: Pet Shop Vignette category.

Here are the Traveling Twins as they dropped by late this afternoon.

I enjoyed your blog, especially the food entry. If you haven't yet gotten your toaster oven, check places like Family Dollar & Dollar General, I found one there very cheap plus a $1 oven thermometer to assure the 250-degree setting.

Well ... it's 3:30 pm, and this day has gotten away from me:

--Alter daughter #2s cheerleading skirt (which tends to slide down too far!)

--Finish wrapping a couple of present.

--Finish packing the presents.

--Write a few checks (for workmen getting the New Orleans house spruced up for sale)

--Drop mail at post office because I missed the mailman.

--Drop a coat at the cleaners.

--Take 10 packages to UPS. (Did you know you get a discount on multiple packages? One was free, a couple were discounted. There IS a good reason to do it all at once. :banana: )

--Do my monthly inspection as a Secret Shopper :banana:

--Come home and make solicitous noises and chicken noodle soup for DH, who has a bad cold.

--Feed the dogs.

--Write the SS report and email it. :banana:

--And, oh yes, check the GL forum a half dozen times during all of the above! :)

So now it's MY time ... and I'm heading back downstairs to the pet shop, right now!

Well, I put in a few hours on the pet shop. It is now landscaped, the pups (and one cat) have moved in, the Open for Business sign is in the doorway. It's very close to being finished, but I've decided to make a sign to go across the top of the facade and a curtain or shade for the big window, and it's too late to start that. I make big mistakes when I'm tired. Didn't take any photos, but should be finished tomorrow, and then there will be another serving of eye candy, I promise. :banana:

--------------

Later: I should have gone to bed. I'm thinking about this project too much. Now I'm thinking I really need to add lights. DH wandered by earlier this evening and wondered why I hadn't electrified it. Hobby Lobby's 50% sale is happening, and if they have a small transformer ...

Edited by KathieB

always good time to get those electrical needs during the 50% off sale.

specially transformers.

looking forward to those photos!

nutti

I've decided to get the electrical stuff from minatures.com. Driving an hour each way to Hobby Lobby when it's likely they won't have what I need just isn't appealing. I should have the stuff by mail next week. Meanwhile, dh is going to help me put up a shelf in the workshop, so I'll have room to work on Li'l Miss Rabbit's habitat while I'm waiting for the electrical stuff.

Update: decided driving an hour each way to Hobby Lobby to get 50% off of something (a small transformer) they probably don't have in stock was a bad idea. Went to the Cir-Kit Concepts website and found a 4w Vignette Light ... basically a nightlight bulb on a cord. No need for a transformer. Plug comes off, so just need to drill one little hole in the side of the box, glue the cord where it can't be seen, glue up the light socket, and voila! There will be light.

And since the light source won't be seen from the front, I see no reason to put in regular dollhouse lights. So ... the pet shop is on electrical hiatus, but won't take but a few minutes to finish when the light gets here. :blink:

I did make a sign for the front facade and printed out a calendar and clock for the inside. I wish I had a little cash register, a plant, and other counter-stuff, as there is room for a tiny counter. I looked at the printies for cash register, file boxes, etc, but they're not up to the quality I want in this scene. I may have to hit HBS and see what they have along these lines.

HBS had a cash register, phone, and a jar for milkbones. I can do some yellow lined paper from printies and put some tiny appointment records on it. I have some plants. Just have to make a counter. Actually, a wide shelf will work.

Almost there!

Some of the shelf items were gifts at the NAME conference last September in KC. The theme was Pets on Parade. :giggle:

The food bags are printies, but I'm too fogged to recall the website. Will post when I remember!