hello from another novice

newt

Hello, kind people,

The forum, posts and gallery are inspiring and it's wonderful to see how supportive, creative and generous everyone is with one another. Wow, and wow! Really awe-inspiring!

I'm another novice and have lived 30 years near Durham in North Carolina. There are two dollhouses here, one on the way by mail, and a dollhouse cabinet, along with one human and two cats. i've had an avid interest in dollhouses and minis for as long as i can remember. Back in 1968 there was article in Reader's Digest by Flora Gill Jacobs that fascinated me. Saved those pages for years. Now that i'm a middle-aged adult i've taken the plunge into this miniuniverse.

i'm hoping to learn from you all. i have absolutely no experience whatsoever in building dollhouses, and have heaps of questions. i've gathered several helpful books but of course those are limited in what they offer in the way of how the heck to do all these new things.

My household consists of the Katz sisters, Gracie and Sylvie. So far they have let the dollhouses alone; from what i've seen, this is very fortunate. For the last 16 years i've earned cat food money by working as a legal aid lawyer. The Katz have not ever been gainfully employed and resist all my efforts to persuade them to get jobs. At present they are unimpressed with the dollhouses, and pointedly note that there is no Cat Scale, but i've reminded them that they do have the big House and they Rule there.

The Houses:

There is a Pierce, which I purchased about 95% built and wallpapered. This is a mixed blessing, as there is no siding, no wiring. When it is complete it will be a gift for my godchild, now age 2, and her mom.

There is a Victoria house, a kit from Beachwood Ltd, so far as i can tell, and it is a project for my granddaughter, now age 14 months. The shell is built and the exterior is painted.

At the rate i am going, the kids will be collecting their pensions when the houses are ready for them.

There also is a wall cabinet, currently the home of my tiny group of Strombeck furniture, and another house en route via mail, that are for my very own. The latter is an eBay purchase from one of the Big-Auction-It-Off sellers so i do not know its name yet. Haven't yet found its twin from any photos i've seen online.

If i can figure out how to attach and send photos, i will.

Looking foward to reading and seeing more of your posts and photos, and with thanks!! for the nice mail from Mini Man,

newtominis

Hi C.J., and welcome! Your projects sound very interesting. And you're right about the support and good fellowship in the Community. It's super! I've been doing minis less than a year and found the Greenleaf Forum during the summer. I've gotten so much help from the members that I figure I could probably tackle the Taj Mahal if the notion should occur to me. :thumb:

Hope you can post some photos soon <she says wishfully> :)

Welcome to our "little" mini family, CJ, and somewhere around here in one of the forums there are general dirctions for posting pictures.

At the rate i am going, the kids will be collecting their pensions when the houses are ready for them.

That's what I thought as it took me 3 1/2 years to build a Dura-Craft San Franciscan for our granddaughter (my first kit, I HAD to build the biggest one I could afford!).

Since then I've built a couple of more kits and must say that it goes a bit more quickly once you get a few under your belt, so to speak.

Ask lots of questions, either someone has done it (lots of Pierces have been built here) or can tell you what worked for them. My only suggestion is to try any new idea or technique on a sample first, to make sure it'll really work for you.

Welcome to the forum!

you named some great houses in your collection!

Im so glad you found our little place in space.

lots of information here for your mini needs!

nutti :whistle: :wub:

Welcome C.J.!! We are very happy to have you here! I think once you have made 5 posts, you will be able to upload pics you in your own gallery. I cant wait to see pics of your pierce, i love that house :whistle:

-Jenny

p.s. o and we LOVE cat pics too! we are all cat lovers around here!

Welcome. Lots of nice people here, Good advice and Plenty of help. Also lots of cat news. Almost everybody here has cat tales. Feeding 23 of the little buggers right now.That is if no more of their friends, family,neighbors,lovers drop in. bergie