Hi Everyone - Newbie from the Texas Hill Country

tamberly

Hi all!

I'm Tamberly, located just north of Austin, Texas. I'm extremely new to Dollhouse building, having just closed on my first (doll) house about 5 minutes ago.

Funding went through without a problem and I should take possession in about one week. However, this house was purchased as a gift for my 12 year old daughter, Meg.

I do feel that I'll be doing quite a bit of the building, with her being the main interior decorator.

I chose The Pierce. Nothing like shooting high for the 1st purchase. I really wanted the Garfield, but moreso for me to actually live in - not for the dolls. :-)

Can the more experienced builders recommend any good books or guides for beginning builders? (other than this forum!)

Thanks so much...look forward to more postings from me!

Tamberly

Hi and welcome, Tamberly! My mother and I built the Pierce when I was in middle school. Ok, she was really the buidler and I was the assistant when she let me do things. Have fun with it!!

:bounce8:

Carrie

Hi, Tamberly, and welcome to the community! You're in good company with the Pierce. Several members have built or are building the Pierce. You'll find a lot of pictures here! And more of us bought the kits recently, so I'm sure there will be on-going discussions as we work our way through the process.

You may not need a guide other than the directions that come with the kit and the advice given so freely here. Ask away, and you'll get a selection of answers. One thing very obvious about mini-building is that there are a whole lot more than one way to skin the cat. Sometimes the best advice is the DON'T DO THIS part ... it's definitely spoken from experience! :bounce8: Beyond that, follow your gut instincts, and have fun with it!

Welcome to the forum!

I know there are ALOT of books out there but I havent read any of them.

the folks here are so friendly and so helpful that all I do is post a question and I have 4 or five answers before I know it!

only you know how you want it to look so only you can decide which advice someone gives that will work for you!

best advice is to read the directions a few times. get familure with the kit pieces...I like to use black marker to remark all the sheets for easier looking through....the larger kits come with lots of sheets Ive had 18...dont remember which kit!

I also have a Pierce waiting for me.

and how fun you can do this with your daughter.

nutti :bounce8::D

Welcome to the forum. Be sure and check out Deb's gallery, her Pierce should give anyone inspiration. There are several others but hers comes to mind first. You and your daughter should have a great time with this house. But be careful, this hobby is addictive.

:D and welcome to our "little" family, Tamberly.

Can the more experienced builders recommend any good books or guides for beginning builders?
I have nearly five dozen books on mini different aspects of the hobby and most of them to do with the making of minis or building of structures. In addition I make binder books of the houses I build and also of all the magazine DIY projects I clip & save. There are a lot of excellent magazines out there, I like the English publications because they tend to have more how-to articles in a larger variety of media for a greater span of skill levels than the American magazines by comparison (they are also commensurately more expensive). I would suggest hitting your local library to see what they have or can order for you.

The Pierce or the Garfield? Nothing like starting BIG!

Be sure and check out Deb's gallery

I think the Pierce was Deb's first house.

Do read over the instructions a few times, they are a guide to building the kit, NOT the only way to build it. Mistakes and "oopsies" are NOT the end of the world, merely opportunities to learn the limitations of the kit and the builder, and can either be fixed or bashed into something lovely and unique.

Ask all the questions you think of, once you get more familiar with this site you can use the "search" feature to check if some of your questions have already been answered, but if you're in the throes of building you may not have the time to hunt :bounce8: This is a very good place to come when you have glued or painted, stained or sealed everything & need to wait for it all to dry.

We're glad you're here.

Hi and welcome to the forums! starting big is always fun, I started with the garfield myself. haha. In the general discussion area of this forums there is a Beginneers supply list that has alot of really good ideas of what to use while you arre building your dollhouse! Everyone here is very friendly and most of all we LOVE eye candy. Be sure to post pics as you go B) congrats on your win and happy mini'ing!

Thanks everyone,

I'm excited to start this - I can't wait for Meg to get her gift on Christmas Day!

I look forward to the support and help here.

I've been thumbing through the galleries...and I'm impressed. You are all SO GOOD!

I'll probably be lingering for a while...3 weeks to go until Christmas...but know that I'm here.

Talk to you all soon,

Tamberly

:yes: Hi and goodmorning Tamberly! :)

welcome in miniland, I have built the Pierce about 5 years ago and just by the manual, it worked out fine. Though a good-luck-on-building can't hurt,

minigroeten, Wilma