English Gatehouse on Ebay

Hallowell

Every musuem has a "permanent" collection -- meaning stuff that is generally always able to be viewed, and then "special collections" -- stuff on loan from other museums, or stuff in storage that is brought out and displayed on a rotating cycle.

And then every museum also occasionally sells off some or part of its collection, to make room for other stuff. "De-accession" is a common term. So it really is pretty "usual" for a museum to sell something from what was, at one time, "part of their permanent collection".

Having said that -- I went to their web site...and couldn't find any other reference to "museum". The sellers do build dollhouses, and some of them are quite reasonable -- they claim from $58 up...so this might be an unusual find.

One of a kind does mean one of a kind -- as chesterfieldzoo noted, every hand-crafted item (and most kit items) will come out differently. I think they're saying "one of a kind" to indicate it is not mass-produced, didn't come off an assembly line where a thousand parts are stamped out identical to a thousand other parts (like most mass-produced toys).

It's a lovely house...more than I'm willing to pay, and I didn't even bother to figure out the shipping!, but a really nice house, anyway.

I went back and looked again. You are right, they say museum quality, not museum piece. I looked at their website and I guess they just build and sell dollhouses. Some of them are really nice. Out of my price range too.

Has anyone seen any of these pricey houses sell? There have been about 7 talked about lately.

Nice work, I watched Keri Berkner make an arched plank door for the 1:12 Nottingham she was building when we were at Earth & Tree. As Tracy has pointed out, dollhouses don't bring the kind of prices the amount of work & artistry that goes into them should make them worth.