The Primrose: A Rabbit Habitat

KathieB

LOL!! ... well, I have the 19-piece furniture kit and am planning to use some of those pieces for basic furnishings. (Didn't somebody say they are on the slightly smallish side?) Also have several hutches from Michael's ... we'll see how this finicky li'l rabbit decides to furnish her habitat!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two more photos in the Primrose album. :whistle:

Trim is all sanded and primed, and the wallpapering has begun. Therein lies a sad story. Will the folks who use Modge Podge to hang the wallpaper please tell me how you do it without ending up with a seriously wrinkled mess? Thanks!

The hutches with full-length doors make neat Murphy beds.
Hey, Holly, what a wonderful idea! I'm going to check that out for my 'Three Blind Mice'! :whistle: How do you add the bed?

Trim is all sanded and primed, and the wallpapering has begun. Therein lies a sad story. Will the folks who use Modge Podge to hang the wallpaper please tell me how you do it without ending up with a seriously wrinkled mess? Thanks!

Kathie, I use a sponge brush to put Mod Podge on both the wall and the paper (this helps to maneuver the paper into position). I then start at the farthest corner, lay the paper, and work my way to the front smoothing as I go with my hand. Then I use a soft cloth to gently smooth out any bubbles or wrinkles. I still get some bubbles, but they lay down once the Mod Podge dries.

Hope this helps!

Kathie, I use a sponge brush to put Mod Podge on both the wall and the paper (this helps to maneuver the paper into position). I then start at the farthest corner, lay the paper, and work my way to the front smoothing as I go with my hand. Then I use a soft cloth to gently smooth out any bubbles or wrinkles. I still get some bubbles, but they lay down once the Mod Podge dries.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Teresa. I guess this just isn't one of my things. By the time I got the MP on the wall, the paper had already wrinkled and begun to dry out. It was like trying to smooth out crepe paper. The more I tried to smooth it, the mushier it became. I think I'll stick with rubber cement. :whistle:

Kathie, why not try a small tub of regular wallpaper paste from the hardware store?

Thanks for the suggestion, Holly, but because dry mounting the paper with rubber cement works for me, and I subscribe to the if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it school of thought, I probably won't try it. Waterbased any-kind-of-glue is going to wrinkle paper to some degree or another, especially the thin papers we use for dollhouses. I admire those of you who get such good results with it. Just one more example of there's not a one-size-fits-all solution to the challenges our miniatures present to us.

My friend has a house that was wallpapered 30 years ago using rubber cement, and the paper is still stuck smooth and tight and is in perfect condition: no spotting, fading, "browning", etc. So ease of application (for me, anyway) and proven longevity gets my vote.

"browning",

That's why we prime or at least seal the wood before painting or papering. The acids naturally occuring as well as part of the treating process will "burn" the paper over time, turning it brown.

I'm with you, Kathie, on not fixing what ain't broke. I love contact cement for flooring.

Despite the way early Spring cleaning rampage here today, I did manage to get a little work in on the Primrose. Li'l Miss Rabbit has agreed that perhaps she doesn't need electricity after all, which is going to make this a much faster project than I expected.

Today I finished wallpapering the downstairs and the two gable ends of the upstairs. Still have to wallpaper the front roof ceiling.

It wasn't until after I had glued the wallpaper on one gable that I realized the stripe I'm using has a right-side-up orientation. The scrapbooking packet had only two sheets of it, so on one gable the design will be upside down. I think that may be the wall I put the bed on, and with a generous headboard, that may well obscure it enough to get by.

I also stained the roof walnut brown as a base for the moss.

Sorry, no new photos. I'll try to post some tomorrow.

Finished decoupage of the flowers around the base and added a couple of angels on the gables. The shutters look okay, but I think a thin glaze of darker blue over the inserts will make them pop more. The window boxes are attached and have styrofoam inserts ready for planting.

Unfortunately, the furniture in the kit I was planning to use is too small. I thought the smaller scale would work well in the Primrose, but Li'l Miss Rabbit is a bit husky, throwing the scale way off. So ... now to work out the furnishings as well as the moss roof.

There will be a trim added where the blue and white meet. Haven't decided which one to use. And Li'l Miss Persnickety says she wants a dutch door instead of the solid one that comes with the kit. Sheesh!

Face it, a dutch door with that house will look darlng!

LOL! Yup. I've learned not to argue with her!

Worked on the habitat today. The house is pretty much finished except for U-channel on the wall and floor edges, some landscaping, and the front door. How-to-make-a-moss-roof photos in my gallery.

Li'l Miss R had some surprise visitors when she did her daily inspection.

The niece will stay. Li'l Miss Rabbit's busy time is coming up soon, preparations for Easter. The other two are outside rabbits (I think), but I'm sure they'll hang around nearby.

I posted in another thread that I was considering turning the Primrose into a bake shop to accomodate the swap items soon to be here. Li'l Miss R hopped on line this morning and took advantage of Ernie's sale to order a bunch of Easter items. I guess that shows me!

thanks for the update. :)

the Rabbitat is looking really sweet, so lovely. no wonder there are visitors!

i love the colors, painting and the roof work you've done.

• 1 month later...

Li'l Miss Rabbit is excited to announce PROGRESS on her habitat! Here's a teaser picture. More in my Gallery under Primrose.

There's still a lot to do. A front door, of course! And inside she needs rugs, a bed for her niece, and other little goodies, but it's coming along. The sidewalk bricks are made of Spackle and painted. I used contractor's foamboard for the base (a sandwich of 2 half-inch pieces). It was so easy to punch a hole and glue in the flower stems.

I found a daisy punch at Hobby Lobby the other day and plan to use Susanna's tutorial to make some colorful gerbera daisies to add to the landscaping, too.