New to the world of miniatures

Delilah1003

Hello from Southern Indiana,

A wife and mom to 2 sons and 2 step-daughters, and granny of a 2 yr old grandson.  All my children are grown and on their own now.    

I've been crafting/sewing for about 15 years.  I love learning how to do new things.  A friend recently told me I was like a squirrel, with all my little projects. lol  In the past year, I've made large loom rugs, restored and painted furniture, and made jewelry from broken china and scrap leather.  All while working full-time in my own business of custom golf club covers.

A few weeks ago I bought my first dollhouse!  It's a pre-owned dollhouse, I got for $40.  I didn't totally love the Tudor style, but knew I could change it.  It needs some major TLC.   

I have no idea how old it is.  The lady I bought it from, had bought it used several years ago and she didn't know the history of it either.  I've searched online for a similar house, with no luck.  I'm hoping someone will be able to tell me a little bit about it.    

What's the ceiling height on the first floor? Maybe it's just the angle of the photo, but that doesn't look like a 1:12 scale house to me. It might be scratch built.

Neat! So how does one get to the rooms on the second floor in front of the slanted roof sections or does that make vaulted ceilings for the rooms below? Does the very top hinge? Access to 3rd floor? Nice house lots of possibilities have fun!

OK, not the Glencroft or Harrison.  If you don't want Tudor, by all means remove the strip wood from the exterior and you can replace those window inserts with clear acetate.  The you will have a lovely blank slate.

There’s a door on each side that leads off the main room on second floor.
 As for third floor, I instantly thought there has to be a room there and wondered why anyone would close it up.  I asked my husband if he had a tool to cut it open.  Of course he did!  I was so excited to reveal another room to decorate. Woohoo!  It actually made my basement smell like toasted marshmallows after he cut it.  

I’ll make a gallery album later with my progress. I’ve already removed the shingles, all the windows, doors and trim, oh and the stairway.  

A53002E8-AE10-494C-860E-4382913B8D46.jpeg

• Like 1

Thank you all for your questions and comments.  I'm so glad I found this forum!  I no longer feel like a crazy lady for wanting to do a dollhouse for myself.  :)  

I am having so much fun with it.  I've become totally obsessed with it.

Has anyone ever removed stucco or can I just install brick or siding over it?  

Thank you Carrie.  I'm still trying to figure out what to make each room!  I've decided to move the kitchen/dining to the opposite side of where it was.  I closed up the three windows on the side of house and may put a small "kitchen" window over the sink area.  As for the rooms on second floor...Bedroom and a hallway in the center room with bedroom leading to bath and closet and the hallway leading to a child's room?  As for the "attic" I'm thinking a craft/sewing room or two small bedrooms??

What would you do?

If your stucco won't sand off, try sanding it as smooth as possible to install brick, stone or siding over it.  You can use laser cut room dividers or columns made from dowels if you don't want to fool with solid walls downstairs.  It looks like you have enough depth to make a dining nook or small dining room on one side of the front door with the kitchen behind it, and either a parlor and drawing room on the other side or a large living room and one or more fireplaces, and a grand stairway in the foyer.  If you move the bedroom wall on the right side looking from the open back closer to the stair opening to make a hallway you can fit a bathroom between the two bedrooms on that floor (or a master bedroom and a den/ home office/ library).  The stairway to the third floor can always be in the invisible rear half of the house we can't see, and you can use that third floor for kids' room, sewing room, storage or whatever.

• Like 1

Hello,

My name is Theresa and I am from Tennessee.  I was directed here by a great lady names Tracy Topps.  I reached out to her about a dollhouse I bought about 2 yrs ago and just let sit because I didn't know where to start.  I couldn't find it on line and she knew exactly which house it was.  It is a old Tennyson.  It was put together with massive amounts of hot glue , which I am now working on taking apart and cleaning.  Any tips or tricks would be helpful and appreciated.  I am a Cake Artist by trade, working for myself.  I got started with cakes because my hobby was making miniature items with polymer clay.  Ornaments, earrings and the such.  I turned that to fondant and cakes and here I am 10 yrs later with my own design studio.  Now I want to have a hobby that takes me away from caking for a few hours.  I have always loved miniatures, now I want to make them!

• Like 1