Stained glass windows??

Bitsy

Has anyone tried stained glass windows? I'd love to hear what worked and see pics of possible. I am thinking of adding some to the kitchen door and possibly the front door, and the attic windows of my Windy Ridge.

Thanks! :banana:

Hi Bitsy

For my medieval chappel I wanted old fashioned hand rolled leaded diamonds of glass in my windows - basically stained glass without any color. I used Gallery Glass paints and leading and it worked pretty good. They sell premade leading strips which are too thick for 1:12 scale. So I cut each strip in half - it's still a bit thick but I havent' heard any complaints about it. :banana:

I know some folks have had luck printing stained glass windows on their home printers but I havent' been able to locate computer printable transparancies yet.

-David

There is liquid leading if the strips are still too thick. Will take a steady hand (which I don't seem to have) to apply it, but if you don't mind a little wobble, then the liquid stuff might work. It can be found near the paint for the windows in the craft section.

David, I just happened to find transparent film for printers in the office section at Wal-mart.

Like David, I also used 'Gallery Glass' for the stained glass windows on my Beacon Hill. I think I posted some pictures in my BH gallery of them all lying out on the counter. I also did a REAL stained glass panel for the third floor of my Beacon Hill. There's a picture of that there too. Of course, the REAL thing is just too thick for windows and such on a dollhouse, but it makes a great ceiling panel! :D

I want stianed glass on my harrison and was trying to think how to do it. So I tried the paints you get with the plastic suncatchers that I had sitting around and it looks good :D, now I just have to find something for the leading.

At some point when I'm feeling brave, I want to try making stained glass windows with polymer clay. I plan to use very thin "strings" of dark grey/black clay for the leading. I'll use a piece of glass, so that I can place my design under it, and lay the clay over the glass, following the lines of the design. I want to tint liquid Fimo with oil paints, and fill in the spaces with different colours. Then bake the window in situ on the glass. When cool, carefully loosen from glass. Theoretically, this seems plausible - but like I said, I'm waiting for a day when I am filled with courage. The possible mess this could make is a little daunting. Has anyone tried this? :D Any pointers?

Wow, that does sound daunting, but totally amazing! I didn't even know you could get liquid Fimo! Where would you find it? Ever since the Lewiscrafts closed down, and the nearest Michael's has moved a good 45 minutes from home I have been starved for craft browsing evenings!! If you do end up trying it, be sure to post pix, I would love to see it! I too love the idea of creating accessories myself rather than just buying them. Good luck!

At the NAME conference last month I spoke with a lady who had some blow-me-put-of-the-water stained glass windows for sale. She was a dear heart and spent a lot of time talking with me about her techniques. When I find her name, I'll come back here and give her credit.

She uses lead tape for leading. She says you can get it at a golf pro shop. They use it to weight golf clubs. It's about $2.50 for a roll that will last forever. Of course, it's too wide. She cuts off a piece and then carefully slices narrow strips.

She puts the pattern under the transparency sheet and puts the tape over the lines, then fills in with Gallery Glass or similar.

Back in the day, I owned and operated a stained glass shop for 5 years in California. Let me tell you, those windows look REAL.

For additional effect, you could put a wee drop of solder at the joints, keeping it very smooth. Knobby, blobby joints are the work of amateurs.

EDIT: I found the links.

Examples of Stained Glass Windows

Sue Veeder Information

Thanks for the info. I saw the gallery glass products at the craft store recently, but I thought I'd better ask about it before I tried it. I'm going to pick it up soon. I'll let you know how it goes.

Again, thanks for all the feedback....you are all just super!!!!

:D :sweat:

I also used the golf lead tape strips on my dungeon 69002018SgLVVa_th.jpg.

You can darken the lead by using this stuff called "blacken it" found at train hobby shops or Micro Mark. It makes the leads strips age instantly. You can also use "Sharoie" markers to color in the glass to mimic stained glass windows. They come in so many colors now. I have a pack of 50 different colors.

:thumb:

I didn't even know you could get liquid Fimo! Where would you find it?

I got mine at Michaels a while back. I just haven't had the nerve yet to try it out. :thumb: I will try to post pics of any attempts I may make. I would love to try for stained glass windows in my Haunted House.

Tracy, I just love your dungeon! It's awesome! I also really like your dolls! Let me guess who made them?!! :cloud9: Are you going to be putting all your medieval items in here?

See message #8 for links to Sue Veeder's stained glass windows. The photos don't do them justice. I saw them in person at the NAME convention and was blown away by them.

I want stianed glass on my harrison and was trying to think how to do it. So I tried the paints you get with the plastic suncatchers that I had sitting around and it looks good :), now I just have to find something for the leading.

Annette,

I've used a VERY fine black permanent maker for my leading

Wen

I have heard tell of using Transparencies from Staples, printing the pattern and then colouring in with Gallery Glass by Plaid.

I don't remember if there was any way to seal the printed side so the black outline wouldn't chip off?

Perhaps this is something Greenleaf could start to offer as a kit? The windows on the Buttercup are so pretty, and really make the house look elegant. Maybe they could have a pattern contest - I am sure some members could make up some lovely patterns? or at least suggest motifs they would like?

I have heard tell of using Transparencies from Staples, printing the pattern and then colouring in with Gallery Glass by Plaid.

I don't remember if there was any way to seal the printed side so the black outline wouldn't chip off?

I printed outlines on a transparency with my HP laser printer and filled in the spaces with cheapo paint that Wal-Mart sells for painting the plastic "suncatchers". They worked fine. :wub: The printed lines did not (and still do not) show any signs of chipping off, so I don't think it needs to be sealed.

I didn't have the right kind of transparency to print color right on the sheet with the HP deskjet. When I tried it on the laser printer transparency, it just never dried. At some point I want to get the transparency for the deskjet, as the windows I've seen printed that way look very good.

I noticed that Plaid sells the regular reddi-lead and they also have extra thin reddi-lead and I bought some but really haven't used it as yet. Is this still too thick to use in 1:12? It's flexible and just looked like a good idea to me :wub:

Dover Publications puts out the vellum stained glass coloring books, including one of window patterns for dollhouses. You'd need to go over the leads with thick paint or Liquid Lead (whatever) to give them dimensionality. I printed off stained glass windows from Jim Collins' site and sprayed them with acrylic sealer.

Dover Publications puts out the vellum stained glass coloring books, including one of window patterns for dollhouses. You'd need to go over the leads with thick paint or Liquid Lead (whatever) to give them dimensionality. I printed off stained glass windows from Jim Collins' site and sprayed them with acrylic sealer.

You just gave me an idea.

I learned a scrapbook techique using Galaxy Markers and vellum. The markers are more opaque than translucent. I do think it will make a nice looking window. I think I will make some blank windows and try them out once all my work stuff is done and over with. I'll have plenty of time on my hands.

Also, I want to mention vellum can be embossed with an embossing tool and a piece of fun foam. Lay the vellum over the foam and the design you want to use and trace. It takes practice. If you press to hard it will go thru the paper. I usually print my design in with the printer on low ink and then trace.

You can use liquid leading easily. Squirt out lines onto waxed paper. Let them dry. They peel right off.

I have found sheets of plastic for 89c at AC Moore that work great for window inserts. I have found pics online, scanned them, taped the plastic to the pic, and then stained glass over it. I did that with the stained glass window in my orchid in the blogs.

www.sgdesigns has a wonderful program for stained glass windows. That is what I have used. I use the Ed Sibbet dollhouse windows book that was mentioned above. I scan them in and use that sg designs program to resize them and then the program has an area to pick and choose the style "glass" you want. You can see one on page 30 of the gallery under my fairfield. I think the sg window is in the tower.