I'm puzzeled

Corwin

So i have built my basement for my garfeild, mostly. (no I havn't got the house yet, but i'm realying off web dimnsions.) Any way, what i need is an idea on how to create a realistic coal furnace, and a hot water tank. They will be seen from most angles. I already have pipes but thats about it. Does anyone have any ideas? :welcome:

Thanks! :D

Corwin .. if you check Google images for "coal furnace", I think you'll get some ideas. Many are quite bulky, basic geometric shapes. I think you could construct out of small boxes, cardboard, etc, and paint.

Here are a few I found in just a few seconds:

Older Coal furnace

Modern coal furnace

Really old coal furnace

Good luck with it!

Kathie has the right idea. Just search for pics of the item you want to make. The first water heaters were made mostly of copper, so you could even use a piece of a broomstick & paint it copper. Add some tiny nails to look like rivets. The ideas are endless.

Corwin, you've really got me thinking about basements. I've been trying to figure out how to alter the roofline of the Westville to make more headroom in the attic for a workshop. But ... if I add a basement instead of messing with the roof, the house will retain its charming design ... AND I'll get to have a cellar door for the kids of the house to slide on. :) Thanks for the idea!

Well Kathie you could do both, y'know -- add a knee wall to the attic and just raise the roof maintaining the original line and have the basement -- loads of room that way.

(I'm very good at thinking up ways for others to use their time :) )

Corwin, you're thinking of scratchbuilding, so you gotta think all over the place. Now I'll tell ya multi media building is a pain in the butt. Plastic is simply fun. Methylene Chloride will glue any pastic to any other plastic, with the exception of Lexan, so the sky's the limit. PVC plumbing pipe and some oversized domes would make a great water heater. Or how about a toy tanker, prolly get it at the doller store, if it's too long, cut it down, glue it back together. A furnace, sheet styrene, these are simple shapes to scratchbuild. I have all the faith in you mah bruthah!

Tomorow tomorrow, right now it's seated above its place, i think i got my garfeid but first i have to pay ups 70 Cadnadian dollars! I already spent sixty on shpping and two seventy five, on the house, This is why i do not like ups. If you want something delevered, be prpared to pay stocks. :D

Oh if you want to see my basement, so far just look Here. (scroll towards the bottom)Its prety much the same progress but in the far wall there a large hole:)

Well that sounds like a ripoff! Never had to pay anything extra, but then most of my shipments have been from inside the US. Maybe that's the difference. Oh well, can't wait to see what you do with it so I hope you get it in hand soon. :wave:

yah me too, the strange thing is n the description the said they would be using USPS Not UPS Ah wel, but i havn't ordred any thing else that was two seenty five canadian. :wave:

Also to create the "elbows" of the heat pipes and stuff you could use the bendable straws and cut them to size and use the "Kraylon" spray paint for plastic (It does come in silver) and spray paint those to look like the pipes too.

Just a though :wave:

Looking good so far!! You are very inspirational for sure!

Also to create the "elbows" of the heat pipes and stuff you could use the bendable straws and cut them to size and use the "Kraylon" spray paint for plastic (It does come in silver) and spray paint those to look like the pipes too.

Just a though :wave:

Looking good so far!! You are very inspirational for sure!

That's a great idea -- would it be in scale for a stovepipe for my gourd house do you think?

Wow, Corwin, what great ideas you have! I love all the extra rooms you're going to get! The furnace and hot water tank turned out great. Can't wait to see what you do once you add on the house! :wave:

Thanks every one :wave:

That's a great idea -- would it be in scale for a stovepipe for my gourd house do you think?

If you house is 1:12 it shold be fine. I saw it used in a tea kettle, it was a tea shop. :)

I might try to do the furnce pipe the same way as th furnace. See how it looks. I used tin foil (dull sid up) I was thinkng of ataching itto the furnace but i can't see how i would do that any sugestions? :)

I might try to do the furnce pipe the same way as th furnace. See how it looks. I used tin foil (dull sid up) I was thinkng of ataching itto the furnace but i can't see how i would do that any sugestions? :banana:

Rubber cement might work.